Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-09-2013, 09:28   #811

Re: Our shrinking rights and the fight in Oriental NC

@ Mark Johnson - way OT, but that snow picture in post 755 is just gorgeous. Desktop material.
Old 23-09-2013, 09:35   #812
SBK

I can't believe I read the whole thing! I own a slip and keep a boat in Oriental, have since 2001. The controversy over the boats in the anchorage aside, the insinuation that the town is boater/cruiser unfriendly is ludicrous. The entire economy is based around boating/fishing. This is a town that boasts more boats than full time residents. For someone to say they will never stop in Oriental based on what they've read here is the height of stupidity.
Old 23-09-2013, 09:48   #813

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBK View Post
I can't believe I read the whole thing! I own a slip and keep a boat in Oriental, have since 2001. The controversy over the boats in the anchorage aside, the insinuation that the town is boater/cruiser unfriendly is ludicrous. The entire economy is based around boating/fishing. This is a town that boasts more boats than full time residents. For someone to say they will never stop in Oriental based on what they've read here is the height of stupidity.
I think if someone didn't stop in Oriental, it would be because there isn't a place to anchor their boat, not because there is a debate with people using the anchorage space over how long they should stay there.
Old 23-09-2013, 13:02   #814

Boat: Island Packet 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBK View Post
For someone to say they will never stop in Oriental based on what they've read here is the height of stupidity.
As someone who is planning to stop in Oriental, I can say that I am not deterred due to the controversy--but I do hope there's room to anchor close to town for a short stay. I have also read this entire thread (although it's hard to keep up), but I must have missed the part about someone saying they would never stop in Oriental based on what they've read here.
Old 23-09-2013, 14:25   #815

i was the one who decided not to haul my boat or rent a slip in Oriental- i don't like the feel of the town and i was actually embarrassed - as a local sort of - to see tourist trying to find something nice to see - they ate and could not even sit at the 15 square feet of 'park' because of the 'French'- i was embarrassed that they had probably heard about this town and drove all the way out there to find the harbor so ugly with squatters. I had a moment when i thought - cool French people circumnavigating ! and here they are all roughed up from their voyage (poor dog though) and then i realized they were a permanent fixture and the tourist who had kids just sort of tried no to look.... i am sorry Oriental but i am not driving out there anymore - their is a lot of expertise in the yards i am going to have to miss but i since i would like to be out of the water for a while i do not want it to be in Oriental - is Sand Castle the old sailboat tied up at the dock across form the coffee shop - .....with a girl ??? fun reading - thx everyone - i think if you are going to liveaboard away form the dock you should KEEP GOING - CRUISE or stay home or if moorage is too expensive - GEt a room
Old 23-09-2013, 15:53   #816

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC

It's interesting that the original poster stated almost ten days ago that he was leaving but, correct me if I'm wrong, is till in the harbor. Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
Old 23-09-2013, 16:50   #817

Boat: Pearson 30'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterwayguy View Post
It's interesting that the original poster stated almost ten days ago that he was leaving but, correct me if I'm wrong, is till in the harbor. Chuck
Wow someone is grouchy today.
Me and my good friend roy ended up at the toucan and people I didn't even know came up and shook my hand because of my letter about the other letters on towndock. #1 one thing I was told was "I loved your letter to the paper". It felt good to be treated like a valued member of the community again. and nothing you say will take that away right now.

But have you looked at town dock's anchorage cam at the water levels this last week? you do know the wind has been out of the north lately and it's high for days now right? not that I think you care but that's a fact.

AnchorageCam | TownDock.net | Oriental NC News, Weather, Photos
Old 23-09-2013, 17:02   #818

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Our shrinking rights and the fight in Oriental NC

Quote:
Probably waiting for a tow. Ought to be some volunteers. Even Larry and Lin got tows. Oh wait, they are actually cruising here and there.
Old 23-09-2013, 17:18   #819

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Discrimination against the French is not my fight.....I'm fighting to maybe be able to anchor there some day without having to raft up to the harbor hogs....
So you want the harbor clear of the undesireables now so when and if that "maybe" day arrives there will be a place for your boat?
Old 23-09-2013, 17:19   #820

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Crab View Post
Probably waiting for a tow. Ought to be some volunteers. Even Larry and Lin got tows. Oh wait, they are actually cruising here and there.
lol funny good night and I hope you have a wonderful evening.

Also good night all travel safely.
Old 23-09-2013, 17:22   #821

Boat: Albin 40 double cabin Trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie Mor View Post
So you want the harbor clear of the undesireables now so when and if that "maybe" day arrives there will be a place for your boat?
I don't want the harbor clear of boats....I just want it clear of people who have no intention of ever leaving...I just want a fair shake at getting a spot when I do arrive..or anyone else for that matter.

And if you are paying close attention...I have really never referred to these boats as undesirables except to the extent they think they have a right to hog the harbor...if they were cruisers who moved every couple of weeks...I couldn't care less who or what they are...as long as they aren't anchorage hogs....
Old 23-09-2013, 17:31   #822

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Our shrinking rights and the fight in Oriental NC

Quote:
Originally Posted by GothVanhellsing View Post
lol funny good night and I hope you have a wonderful evening.

Also good night all travel safely.

Thank you Cap. I'm glad you tossed in the key word: travel.

Am also glad there's no camera aimed at my boat as I'm about to pee over the rail. Standing up. Jack lines? Who needs 'em.

Well, yeah I know the NSA is watching but I'm ok with that. And they know that I know. Obviously.
Old 23-09-2013, 17:38   #823

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Crab View Post
Thank you Cap. I'm glad you tossed in the key word: travel.

Am also glad there's no camera aimed at my boat as I'm about to pee over the rail. Standing up. Jack lines? Who needs 'em.

Well, yeah I know the NSA is watching but I'm ok with that. And they know that I know. Obviously.
LOL just be safe and have a good night. This time I'm out Y'all be safe.
Old 23-09-2013, 17:41   #824

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

...another 120 or so more posts...then this thread can go to heaven; when it reaches the 1000 mark! Telling the truth should NOT take so many REEMS of pages to tell! I sense a lot of frustration being vented out. In the end, what has been accomplished? I like posts that share experiences and knowledge, not whiny ones that serve no purpose.

Mauritz
Yes! The mule must be deaf!
Old 23-09-2013, 18:06   #825

Boat: 2000 Navigator 4200 Classic-Skinny Dippin'

Quote:
In all fairness, Chuck, the water has been high there. While I don't know what his air draft is, he has mentioned several times here that he DOES need to wait for the water to drop before he can get under. Cut him some slack.

Hey... besides that, snowbird season is just now getting going. (ie: Scott's not gotten there yet to get the Pentagon to call in an air strike or have the CIA destroy his background)

At this point Goth is "one of the good ones". Albeit a bit like the kid that finally takes out the trash after being told to and then slamming the lid down on the cans... BUT... I give him props for it. It's the other 2 or 3 that are the problem. Other than Primadonna, I wonder if the other two are aware of the issue. The certainly have had ZERO press aimed at them and nobody has any idea where THEIR heads are at.
Closed Thread