Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-09-2013, 18:29   #781
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34
Re: Our shrinking rights and the fight in Oriental NC

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
OK fair enough...just doesn't seem like you fully grasp how many East Coast harbors are trying desperately to have enough room for transients as well as live aboard/anchor outs....actually I'll be the first to acknowledge that full time anchorouts are probably trying to be pushed out and I don't like that either...but as I've posted...they can't dominate prime anchorages or they will get zapped sooner or later from various sources of pressure.
I do believe that it is a problem everywhere, east and west coast. I actually agree with you, that moving around and not hogging the best spots would be best. But not everyone can or will do that. For whatever reason.
Old 22-09-2013, 18:30   #782

Boat: Pearson 30'

Quote:
No I clearly understand the wind tides in not only the NC area but also in the FLA rivers and anywhere else there's little astronomical tidal action but big enough water for the winds to effect that body of water....basis..basic stuff... Heck I even know that there's places that don't have diurnal tides...sorry if a little smart a**..just these threads drive me nuts...if you post your quals your an egomaniac..if you don't you get second guessed all the time...so again sorry I know our post meant well.

For the other posters...

Again it goes back to...it doesn't MATTER what you or he thinks...if I would prefer to be on a specific geographic coordinate that's not private water or commercial...eventually I would expect that spot to free up...silly maybe...but again...I'm not alone here thinking that the inner harbor imight be worth the hook drop.

So..... also..the opposite is true...if it's so good over there...and he can fit under the bridge...then JUST A SHOULDER situation has kept him in the inner harbor? If so...maybe the rest of us have our reasons too...and it's for US to decide..no one else.

Hey...no problem...let's all have a free for all out there...I'm tired of being nice...it's my turn to screw everyone ....
I think the words your looking for is can't 'always' safely fit under the bridge. Right now the dinghy dock is most likely under water doesn't mean that it will always be that way. Listen i am sorry i tried to be friendly, just forget about the fact I was trying to be friendly.
Old 22-09-2013, 18:34   #783

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by GothVanhellsing View Post
Bill that is the problem that 'you have every right to use the water as long as you want as long as you pay someone' mentality, be it at a mooring ball or a marina. Last time I checked most of those breakwaters were not put in by those towns, and even the ones that are most of the time are done with grants from the state/federal governments. So someone else pays the bills and the town gets to use it to funnel money straight into their pockets as the ones at the bottom can just suck it. Wow you know the bar for freedom has fallen a lot over the last 200 years.
If you want to fight for this "right", then Oriental is not the place to do that, because they have not yet restricted your right. Come up here to New England, find a nice harbor, drop your anchor where you want, stay as long as you want. After they start giving you tickets, go to court and get a ruling in your favor from the judge. Get all these laws ruled unconstitutional. Just be sure you bring plenty of money to pay the fines if it does not go your way. Of course if you don't want to pay the fines, you'll get three squares and cot, Heat and AC, and maybe cable TV, free medical care, dental, and perhaps even free college courses for the duration of your stay. I'll be rooting for you!
Old 22-09-2013, 18:35   #784

Boat: Albin 40 double cabin Trawler

Quote:
I think the words your looking for is can't 'always' safely fit under the bridge. Right now the dinghy dock is most likely under water doesn't mean that it will always be that way. Listen i am sorry i tried to be friendly, just forget about the fact I was trying to be friendly.
OK...I should back off you in particular because you have agreed to move and are trying to be nice/friendly.

If you are still there in Dec...one vet to another...I'll buy some beer.

But just understand that while you agreed to move and would have responded better had you been asked in a different fashion...I still think staying in a primo anchorage as long as you and others have is not the way boaters should be.
Old 22-09-2013, 18:39   #785

Mark Johnson,

You made some excellent points and were able to provide some sound reasoning for your position. Thanks

I too lived aboard for many years and saw how things change. Change is a fact of life and how we adapt to it determines our enjoyment in this journey. Best Regards.
Old 22-09-2013, 18:42   #786

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

Can we call it a day?

Old 22-09-2013, 18:48   #787

Quote:
OK...I should back off you in particular because you have agreed to move and are trying to be nice/friendly.

If you are still there in Dec...one vet to another...I'll buy some beer.

But just understand that while you agreed to move and would have responded better had you been asked in a different fashion...I still think staying in a primo anchorage as long as you and others have is not the way boaters should be.
Okay that sounds cool to me Maybe if we are lucky the Steamer will still be open, they have pool tables there.
Old 22-09-2013, 18:50   #788
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
Can we call it a day?

YES Please. The dead horse is starting to smell.
Old 22-09-2013, 19:41   #789

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
YES Please. The dead horse is starting to smell.

Old 22-09-2013, 23:44   #790

Boat: Shannon 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Its like having a debate about the courtesies of blocking the sidewalk with a homeless guy . you see what I mean dave

I see what you mean but I may be in the minority.

Jim
Old 23-09-2013, 03:07   #791

Boat: Marine Trader 36 Sundeck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrong View Post
And, due to anchorage restrictions in San Diego, I couldn't get myself and my boat away from consistently 90 degree, high humidity days. Stuck in a hurricane zone to boot.

I take exception with your over-generalizations, name calling and supreme effort to demonize people you have never met, and most likely never will because you hold yourselves up so high above them.

Psneed, you ever make an effort to communicate with the guy sitting on two anchors?

Reveals you are either very inexperienced or have a care less attitude toward other sailors. My guess is you are both.
  1. When did San Diego ever get a hurricane? Oriental got Irene two years ago that raised the water level nine feet.
  2. demonize - please get a grip! OP is being obnoxious, and the French boat is here past their visa, harassing people, and stealing. This is a matter of public record.
  3. Please, before posting, attempt some knowledge about the situation, because is obvious you are speaking from none! psneed is local as am I.
You are speaking from ignorance of the area as your comments indicate. You are assuming this issue stems from condescension when it stems from reasonable consideration.

Might be wise to do some research before spouting off like that.
Old 23-09-2013, 03:23   #792

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie Mor View Post
Sand Castle, I'm just a bit curious. As of this post you have 54 posts of your own. And all of your posts are within this thread. So I was just wondering what woke you up or stirred your interest or whatever it is that compels someone to join a forum, then not participate for years, then suddenly become active on just one thread?

You stalking me Julie?

A friend notified me to the OP citing me by name and inaccurately at that. Once I started reading his twistings on the facts and claiming veteran's privileges over others, what could be more delicious than that? Plus I know the area intimately.

The struggle against fascism and propaganda never ends...
Old 23-09-2013, 03:31   #793

Quote:
Once again I quote from the letter that started all of this

Limit Stays In Anchorage, A Way To Welcome More Boats | TownDock.net, Oriental NC

"In my 10 years of cruising, without fail, each time I have visited Oriental, there is at least a couple of long-term boats anchored in the tiny harbor, taking up precious space."
For over 9 years no one cared about who was in the harbor. The french boat pulls in pisses some people off and whamo it all becomes an issue. What do we call it when we care about what some people do but not others doing the same thing?
You failed to quote his real point, however...
I think most would find it very welcome to see a limit of 1 or 2 weeks imposed (with leniency for those making immediate repairs).

Every long term “floating house” or “convenient place to store my boat” you ask to relocate to one of the many viable anchorages nearby (but not walking distance to the restaurants and downtown businesses) means several dozen more cruising boats per year, who will be spending money in your town and falling it love with it rather then bypassing it.

If the anchorage was not so tiny it would not be an issue, but the limited room makes it a real problem.

...that the anchorage needs limits because people are taking advantage of the town's courtesy that does not currently impose a limit.

But thanks to the long term anchorers, they probably will.
Old 23-09-2013, 03:57   #794

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post
If you want to fight for this "right", then Oriental is not the place to do that, because they have not yet restricted your right. Come up here to New England, find a nice harbor, drop your anchor where you want, stay as long as you want. After they start giving you tickets, go to court and get a ruling in your favor from the judge. Get all these laws ruled unconstitutional. Just be sure you bring plenty of money to pay the fines if it does not go your way. Of course if you don't want to pay the fines, you'll get three squares and cot, Heat and AC, and maybe cable TV, free medical care, dental, and perhaps even free college courses for the duration of your stay. I'll be rooting for you!
To be honest I have had thoughts about taking it to Georgia the you can live aboard for more then 90 days as long as you pay a marina state.
Old 23-09-2013, 04:00   #795

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand Castle View Post
  1. When did San Diego ever get a hurricane? Oriental got Irene two years ago that raised the water level nine feet.
  2. demonize - please get a grip! OP is being obnoxious, and the French boat is here past their visa, harassing people, and stealing. This is a matter of public record.
  3. Please, before posting, attempt some knowledge about the situation, because is obvious you are speaking from none! psneed is local as am I.
You are speaking from ignorance of the area as your comments indicate. You are assuming this issue stems from condescension when it stems from reasonable consideration.

Might be wise to do some research before spouting off like that.
love how you lump me in with the french boat.
So you thinking I am obnoxious is a matter of public record now?
Closed Thread