Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-09-2013, 07:23   #856

Re: Our shrinking rights and the fight in Oriental NC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delancy View Post
At this point I am dying to see a show of hands from the people whining about the Oriental Four who have ever up-anchored and moved their boat so someone else could 'share' a tight anchorage.

Anyone? Didn't think so.

Any assertions that the anchorage is intended for short stops are false. It was built by the ACOE for commerce and defense. In the absence of any laws to the contrary its use is of a first come first serve basis. Someone will always be there before you because it is a small anchorage made smaller by a development.

If you are a power boater and park in the anchorage, when you could park in the creek, you are as selfish as those you protest because you are taking a spot away from a sailor who cannot fit under the bridge. Doubtful you have a rowing dink, maybe you are saving the environment by not motoring your lazy butt so far to get to town?

Share and share alike? Not likely.
Old 24-09-2013, 07:27   #857

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand Castle View Post
After 840 posts, what are we arguing about again?
Last count 800 of them were yours.

Wanting to bail? Be our guest. Must feel the time to get out is now, before you begin to look too Wrong.

Old 24-09-2013, 07:30   #858

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknav View Post
Hiya PS! ...if it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck, walks like a duck...it must be a turkey mimicking a duck! If you haven't noticed yet, turkeys are cheap around here! Have a blue-chip day!

Mauritz
Laugh, and the world laughs with you...
Old 24-09-2013, 07:32   #859

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
And I you ...I think you are missing the point of the whole thread....

I doubt any cruiser wants anchoring limits...I just see it and feel it that many cruisers here want others to limit themselves for the good of all...not just a few...and I don't think I'm the first to post that sentiment....
You didn't answer the question.
Old 24-09-2013, 07:53   #860

Boat: Marine Trader 36 Sundeck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrong View Post
It was you, not I who identified Psneed as a local, eh?

You appear to believe declaring me wrong is good enough.
Point 1. Guilty as charged. My error

Point 2. Yes, my declaration was sufficient.

Thank you.
Old 24-09-2013, 07:55   #861

Quote:

Last count 800 of them were yours.

Wanting to bail? Be our guest. Must feel the time to get out is now, before you begin to look too Wrong.

Nah, man. I can take the heat in this kitchen. Besides, I enjoy being your math tutor.

You need me Wrong. You need me. 66
Old 24-09-2013, 08:06   #862

Quote:
And as far as labeling someone a bum....(which I really don't think I did and if I did...sorry I really meant it in the fashion "boat bum").....it's kinda like a duck...if it looks like a duck, walks like a duck and quacks like a duck...what else would the average person call it?
You're kidding, right? You say you're sorry then justify using the term by assuming the average person would have used the same term as you. HA! You're funny!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GothVanhellsing View Post
Me and my good friend roy ended up at the toucan and people I didn't even know came up and shook my hand because of my letter about the other letters on towndock. #1 one thing I was told was "I loved your letter to the paper". It felt good to be treated like a valued member of the community again. and nothing you say will take that away right now.
Goth, it sounds like the people of the town have spoken. I'd say it's safe to go on about your life and ignore the few complainers, especially the ones who don't live there. Let them complain in their own harbor!
Old 24-09-2013, 08:14   #863

Boat: Albin 40 double cabin Trawler

Quote:
So. Psneed says I identified him as a local, eh. Both of you need to get your facts right. It was you, not I who identified Psneed as a local, eh? Be so kind if you can, to set him straight on this 'salient' fact.

Truth is the points you say I've made were mainly in the form of questions. And still, none of you antagonists have answered even one of the questions.

You appear to believe declaring me wrong is good enough. Hardly. How about some answers? And if you, Psneed and BlueCrab can't remember what they are or didn't read them, they're still there.
Hey..if you take someone else's word that I'm a local without so much as checking my avatar...not much else you write is worth following.

One of your questions was did I ever ask whether one of the boats was doubled anchored or were they in shallow water...first of all not much you write is worth responding to...second I read, follow and remember plenty....ask RF.

But...almighty one.... I have been past their boats while piloting mine in that harbor...have you? Do I really need to talk to one to recognize a situation that has nothing to do with the key element...overstaying one's welcome?

Didn't think so .... and no I generally won't answer your ridiculous, out of touch, irrelevant, high and mighty questions...because I never have a chance of understanding or experiencing things you have posted.
Old 24-09-2013, 08:24   #864

Boat: Albin 40 double cabin Trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie Mor View Post
You're kidding, right? You say you're sorry then justify using the term by assuming the average person would have used the same term as you. HA! You're funny!

Goth, it sounds like the people of the town have spoken. I'd say it's safe to go on about your life and ignore the few complainers, especially the ones who don't live there. Let them complain in their own harbor!
not really...I went back and checked my posts...did you? no...otherwise please post one where I screwed up and directly insulted someone...

plus...being a guy who does his homework....I looked up boat bum...plenty of posts on the internet where it refers to someone who hands around boats...not necessarily a derogatory remark...

Amazon.com: BOAT BUM: Tristan VanGogh and the voyage of the Sabrina Ann eBook: Capt. Flash: Kindle Store

Boat Bum Bob's Aquaculture, Inc. in Melbourne FL - Company Profile

Seattle Boat Bum | YachtPals.com

I lost quite a bit transferring..but plenty more on the web...if it was so negative...would people refer to themselves as one or name a business after it if it was so terrible...not likely...
Old 24-09-2013, 09:04   #865

If anyone's interested.
The 100 foot swinging diameter is just a guess. Probably tight.
GVH - you will know the precise dates better than I. Please be at liberty to correct me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	OR-Anc.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	191.9 KB
ID:	67810  
Old 24-09-2013, 09:11   #866

psneedl, on your justification on you using the term "bum" freely,

Within the African American community they use the N word in reference to themselves. By your logic, you should be able to use that word whenever you want. Why then don't you try that in an AA community near you and come back and tell us how it worked out for you.

I feel like I'm trying to reason with a teenager.
Old 24-09-2013, 09:34   #867
CLOD

Boat: none

what a stupid thread this has become, it is now in the car wreck class, and ever that is getting boring

but that is just my opinion and I'm sure some are still getting info from the new posts
Old 24-09-2013, 09:53   #868

Boat: Big brick box and a '62 Airstream Ambassador. Formerly Pacific Seacraft
You guys are killin me. I skipped the middle dozen pages I have to confess. I wish I had as much free time as some of you.

That tiny little harbor is prolly a good candidate for a mooring field. Lots if people would choose to spend a little for a good nights sleep, a convenient location, and some basic services. May not be a popular view, but I also have the towns interest in mind. It would increase the number of boats with taller masts that can moor right there. Of all the years I've sailed in this area, I've never tied up in the harbor and I don't fit under the bridge.

People like the crew of primadonna give cruisers a bad name. Who goes to a small rural community and steals and begs and wears out their welcome in a tiny anchorage? That's some trashy sh&@. crossing an ocean on yacht is cool and all, but dime a dozen really, just like liars and thieves. Not like they are refugees; rich people buy yachts and sail the world. Ya im sure many of you US cruisers consider yourself poor, and have chosen a simple life. If you own a boat, you are well ahead of much if the world. How condemning to be caught stealing what amounts to luxury items. That burns my ass up. Oh I'm sure that's the first time they stole. Ya right. I realize the parallels with homelessness, but sailors that cross oceans to leech off of others good will don't really garner my compassion. Did the crew of primadonna have some major unexpected expense arise after sailing here? Or did they just set off and hope for the best? That's a reasonable strategy for good people, who give more than they take. Easy to see the difference in someone who contributes something, and those who are adept at conning and taking advantage. They cant leave soon enough. End of rant.

The Beaufort thing can be a drag. I haven't set the hook there for a few years, anchoring in cape lookout where I can't spend money in town. Also start and end passages there at all time of day and night. Town creek is a bigger anchorage than oriental, and has not caused quite the controversy. They also have things like fishing tourneys and such that fill the marinas and I don't think the town sees some major tourism losses attributed to the town creek issue. Now I recall
Anchoring there a couple times in last few years, but off season, week nights, and prolly a little in the channel still.
Old 24-09-2013, 10:21   #869

Quote:
Hey..if you take someone else's word that I'm a local without so much as checking my avatar...not much else you write is worth following.

One of your questions was did I ever ask whether one of the boats was doubled anchored or were they in shallow water...first of all not much you write is worth responding to...second I read, follow and remember plenty....ask RF.

But...almighty one.... I have been past their boats while piloting mine in that harbor...have you? Do I really need to talk to one to recognize a situation that has nothing to do with the key element...overstaying one's welcome?

Didn't think so .... and no I generally won't answer your ridiculous, out of touch, irrelevant, high and mighty questions...because I never have a chance of understanding or experiencing things you have posted.
Answering questions with no answers. And if Sand Castle says your a local and your not, take it back to Sand Castle. Who ever said I believe you or Sand Castle. Nothing taken for granted.

And no, there's nothing interesting about you or your posts that would cause me to peruse your profile. Your 'avatar' is a stinkpot, that puts you in a category I haven't much regard for.
Old 24-09-2013, 10:31   #870

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

...another 130 posts to this thread, or so, and it will go to thread heaven; not soon enough! There must be a lot of bored folks on here! In the meantime, some of you could really use some Valium to calm your nerves. You can't continue going through life with a herniated brain. Life is too short! Live and let live!

Mauritz
Doesn't get excited about anything on here!