Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-06-2024, 13:51   #76

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Only showering at marinas?

Aw, cut 'em some slack. Like me, they didn't get it that Cheery Sailor wanted to know about the marinas, so they tell about their showering solutions.
Old 10-06-2024, 14:12   #77

Boat: Sabre 34-1 (sold) and Saga 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandor View Post
“Very walkable city” - once upon a time. They used to have two hardware stores, groceries, city market, and two boat supply stores walking distance to the city dock. Now it is very walkable to overpriced restaurants and tacky souvenirs.
Wow! I thought I was the only one on the planet who remembered all those things about Annapolis. Although it wasn't two hardware stores, it was three if you count the one on the first block of West Street.
sailingharry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2024, 14:51   #78

Boat: Finnsailer 38

You can still walk to West Marine and Fawcetts and Bacons in Annapolis plus some bigger grocery stores, if you don't mind longer walks. Plus it's 1.2 miles to Graul's for groceries. We routinely hike 5-10 miles in a day when visiting places anyway, so within our range. A must-have cruising accessory is a nice lightweight internal frame backpacking pack for larger loads when you are walking.
Old 10-06-2024, 15:35   #79

Boat: Cape Dory 31

Yeah, I remember Annapolis in the early 1980s. I actually thought the town was enchanted. The snug harbor. Poking around Bacons for odd stuff. The old State House. Sailors everywhere.

And crabs. Lots of boiled, baked and sauteed crabs.

My boat at that time was a little Bristol 26. She was really shoal - 2'10" board up. I could anchor for the night in the very shallow empty creeks.

However, my sleep would sometimes be gently disturbed by the soft rumble of engines at 3 a.m. It was the crabbers out setting their long trot lines. Around 5 a.m. they'd finish their first pass down their long lines and take a break. I would put a pot of coffee on my grill and, for the cost of a cup of coffee, I would get the company of these wisened fisherman with their cryptic accents and terminology.

And some crabs! They'd offer me a few "whales" - the kind of crab you don't want to mess with in a fight. I'd boil up a pot of steaming water and in went the crabs along with salt and red pepper. Fresh, hot blueclaws in the cockpit at sunrise. Gees.

Anyhow, we bought our current boat in Middle River, next door to Annapolis. Jenn (spouse) had never been to that special little state capitol. It was fun to watch her face as the enchantment swept over her.

Cheers to all.
jen1722terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2024, 15:37   #80

Boat: S&S 40

Why not fix the shower?
Icarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2024, 17:02   #81

Boat: Hinterhoeller Niagara 35

I have to agree with those who have suggested that you figure out how to fix things as well as having the tools and spares needed [U]before[U] you leave on an extended trip. Boatyards, mechanics and parts are hard to find as soon as you leave the land. A general rule for boats is things seem to be about 25% as reliable and durable as the stuff in our homes on shore. There is always something or other on the fix-it list. I carry around in my pocket notebook (another essential item for the boat-owner).

#1: Someone managed to install the sump and hoses, therefore it's reasonable to assume that the reverse is possible, even if it requires cutting stuff out and learning how to re-fiberglass it back in. Knowing how to use cloth and resin is a basic cruising skill.

#2: It's amazing how much sand. dust, hair, plant fiber, etc. gets into a shower sump. Make sure you have disassembled everything that you can access; use water pressure, compressed air, electricians' snakes, etc. to try and clear the lines. Attack things from the downstream end, and try and blow, snake, and push the blockage out the way it came. Drain cleaner can break up organic material - be careful, it can also cause a severe chemical burn which is pain-free and easy to miss at first.

#3: Don't give up too easily. There are a number of useful tools: nut drivers; right-angle gizmos; 1/4" drive ratchet handles with very small heads for tight spaces; etc. for fixing things in "impossible" places. Two weeks ago I removed, serviced and reinstalled a Whale foot pump through a 2 1/2" dia. hole in the cabin sole that was otherwise inaccessible.

#4: For this non-critical use consider buying an inexpensive "non-yachty" pump. Better still buy two - they're cheap and you'll have a spare. Also get a bowl type filter to protect the pump, and fashion an inlet screen to avoid clogging in the future.

#5: IMO: Hot running water and warm baths have been an essential element of civilized life ever since the Romans.
Boatwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2024, 17:13   #82

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35

If you are sailing in USA you can get a YMCA or similar gym membership.

One month membership is less than one night in many marinas.
pianopraze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2024, 17:46   #83

Boat: 1974 Westsail 32

I honestly think that this is a ridiculously fake question, posted with the intention of riling everyone up 🤪. (Anchor discussion anyone?) l seriously can’t believe that someone would not have the common sense to not fix, or at least have someone else do the repair for them. It’s gotta be a joke thread🤓
westsailwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2024, 21:06   #84

Boat: Newport 30, Sirius 21

If you anchor out, and come to the marina in your dinghy, most places are happy to let you use their pay showers.
There may be an issue if you want to moor your bigger boat while you use the showers

If you buy fuel, or do other shopping (if they sell booze, ice, or groceries), you may be allowed to stay while you shower. It depends on how busy they are.
Some municipal marinas allow guests to tie up for an hour or two, while the crew goes into town to shop or eat, as a way to help local businesses.

As others have said, there are lots of ways to bathe on your boat, especially if you have plenty of fresh water.

You haven't said what's broken about your shower. If have hot water in a galley sink (from engine heat, perhaps?) then you can fill a bucket and wash in the cockpit with a bathing suit or rig a curtain.
I cruised for years with no shower. Sunshower with added hot water as needed was my usual.
gulfislandfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2024, 21:32   #85

Boat: Leopard 40

Get your shower fixed and/or learn to fix it yourself. There are multiple ways to wash on a boat, but you have a shower. Just get it fixed. Aside from that, marinas do get expensive. Once you leave CONUS, you’ll have much fewer options to stop at marinas. You can’t leave for the Caribbean until 1 November. As to jump into the water, that greatly depends on where you are and what the water’s like.
Tom and Maje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2024, 23:26   #86

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Fixing a shower is not always that simple. When my calorifier went terminal 16 years ago I had to airfreight one from the UK to Puerto Williams, TdF. That took a while.
Oh and being winter the pipes to the showers on Micalvi were frozen.
Ah the joys of the cruising lifestyle!
Jumping into 8ºC water isn't all that bad, sure gives them Klingons a fright. Just splash a bit of cold water on the back of your neck first - that alerts your system to the delights in prospect. Mind you there is still a risk of cardiac arrest.

And always keep in mind - no one smells on a submarine.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1935.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	433.6 KB
ID:	290753   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4762.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	433.4 KB
ID:	290754  

Old Yesterday, 05:07   #87

Boat: Finnsailer 38

In some places with waterfront motels and hotels I have asked around and found one that would allow us to take a shower, often connected to a pool. In fact, when living aboard in New England we did that regularly over the winter. Found a hotel with an indoor pool and paid for a pool membership, which included nice showers.
Old Yesterday, 12:22   #88

Boat: 1984 Freedom 39

Hello everyone. Thank you so much for some of the very helpful responses. We ended up purchasing a solar shower when we landed into town for resupplying the boat to tide us over until the repairs can be done. Please note that we will fix the shower, it just low down on the list. This is very much a project boat. With many other issues needing to be addressed before the shower is fixed. The shower has nearly everything wrong with it, and at this point we will be stripping the head almost completely to redo all the work that is necessary to make it functional. Our solar shower heats up beside the shower outside and runs into through a port holes now to assist us with getting clean. Is it perfect, no. Does it work, yes. That's all that really matters in the end.
Cheery sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 13:32   #89

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by westsailwill View Post
I honestly think that this is a ridiculously fake question, posted with the intention of riling everyone up ��. (Anchor discussion anyone?) l seriously can’t believe that someone would not have the common sense to not fix, or at least have someone else do the repair for them. It’s gotta be a joke thread��
^^^^^^
I disagree strongly with the above statement, based on our experience. The discussion of ways to get around the shower situation was unnecessary. The OP wanted information about marinas, and we answered the wrong question.

When you've just bought a boat, at some distance from where you live, the delivery comes first. One time, we took delivery of our new to us boat roughly 500 miles downwind and down current from our destination. We had to take time off work to make the trip, and eventually left the boat part way back, to return later to finish delivering it. All improvements had to wait till we had the boat back on our own stomping grounds. We dealt with the problems that arose during the delivery, and did the proper fixes after we had arrived back at our berth, where access was easy, for supplies and transport.

Ann
Old Yesterday, 13:54   #90
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheery sailor View Post
Hello everyone. Thank you so much for some of the very helpful responses. We ended up purchasing a solar shower when we landed into town for resupplying the boat to tide us over until the repairs can be done.
LOTS of cruising boat show that way.

Wait till you meet up with the French boat in the anchorage Guess you aren't suppose to notice/watch.

Tags
marinas, shower