Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-06-2018, 17:20   #1

Onboard Storage, Damage Control

A quick search yielded no similar questions, so here I am!

Good tools are prone to rusting onboard, and books/paper are prone to mildewing, and electronics just get damaged by the salty air!

Would storing these things in appropriately sized plastic sterlite containers go a long way into prolonging their lives? Obviously I wouldn't have a LOT of large containers. But say instead of a standard toolbox, I kept those nice tools in a similar-sized plastic bin with lid instead. Would that not help keep off the rust?

Perhaps keeping important documents in gallon-sized ziploc bags as well?
HoneyBeeeHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 17:30   #2

Re: Onboard Storage, Damage Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoneyBeeeHappy View Post
A quick search yielded no similar questions, so here I am! >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Really? Did you do a search on tools? New discussions are always helpful, but every time tools comes up, there is almost 99 44/100% turn in the discussion along exactly the lines you are asking about: storage, oiling and containers.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 19:26   #3

Yes, actually! I searched tools and several other keywords. Mostly it came up with threads on what tools are handy to have around and how to use them in a variety of circumstances. I didn't really see anything on storing them! Maybe I missed something?

Either way, I'd love to see opinions on using sterlite and other plastic containers for tools and other items to keep out the salty air.
HoneyBeeeHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 21:04   #4
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Light spray of oil, wrap in a rag, keep in a ziploc
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2018, 01:06   #5

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

HoneyBeeeHappy,

It might be an issue of the CF search functions. Briefly, if you use the CF Custom Google Search, roughly 6th under the Search button menu, you will have better results, if you search on something like "storing tools in a salt water environment." It has to do with how the various searches work, and Google one works best for concepts: the regular CF search requires an exact match and has case sensitivity.

There are many threads on this issue. I discovered that ziplocs make a good moist air barrier; they are NOT waterproof. Airtight boxes can be substituted for tool boxes, but I would put the tools in their oily rags in the airtight boxes.... Rust happens because salt is dissolved in the sea air, and salt is hygroscopic (absorbs water), then it lies on the steel, and the inevitable happens.

There are various liquids one can spray on tools to help preserve them. They'll be mentioned in the threads. The info is just hidden because of the software.

Ann

Tags
storage