Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-02-2020, 17:07   #1

On the hook

Hello All,

I just recently got my master 100 ton and decided to take it a step further and live on the hook. I have a few questions I hope y’all have the patience for. Any advice / tips are greatly appreciated in advance. I just purchased a 77 24’ helms and a dinghy to drive to work. I’m about finished with the interior and getting into the more challenging hurdles on my list.

1.) am I crazy to build a rudder out of 2x12 pressure treated? Won’t be sailing, just need it for the 2 day trip to my mooring ball.

2.) can anyone help me out with a elec wiring diagram for a 200w solar system? (Will pay you via PayPal, Venmo, or zeille) will only be running a 12v mini fridge, bilge with float switch and marine radio. I can do it if I have a layout / some direction on a solar package

3.) propane camping stove bad idea?

4.) how long did it take y’all to get used to drinking warm beer?

Again thanks in advance for any help

Cheers 🍻

Ty
Tiger843 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2020, 08:37   #2

Boat: Morgan Out Island 415
Re: On the hook

Why not just buy a pre-arrangeded package for your solar from Amazon? No need to reinvent the wheel.

Have drunk warm beer. Better solution is to switch to rum until you get your solar and fridge set up.
Old 13-02-2020, 15:27   #3

Iv been looking constantly at amazon packages and can’t seem to dial it down. Only thing that will be hooked up to the system is a mini fridge that uses .08 kWh in a day and a bilge pump that might run 2 hours a day. Found a good 200watt system but still not sure if it is enough. Any battery suggestions?
Tiger843 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2020, 02:02   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Ty.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2020, 02:08   #5

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger843 View Post
Iv been looking constantly at amazon packages and can’t seem to dial it down. Only thing that will be hooked up to the system is a mini fridge that uses .08 kWh in a day and a bilge pump that might run 2 hours a day. Found a good 200watt system but still not sure if it is enough. Any battery suggestions?
You better check the frig consumption. Seems way low at about 6ah.

On the rudder, are you comfortable with the rudder rotting away once you use have it on the mooring?
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2020, 02:34   #6

If you're handy and it's a tubeless rudder (i.e. with pindles) I would just do a new one. It's probably the most straighforward fiberglass part on a boat to work on if you have the old rotted original

Get the foam that is not affected by resin (forget it's name but someone here definitely knows), a few feet of fiberglass cloth and some fiberglass resin from the auto store (much cheaper then marine stores). After it cures just sand it to smooth and paint with gelcoat and antifoul. Just make sure the holes for the pindles are well covered by the resin.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2020, 03:25   #7

Boat: 21' trailer sailor & 8' sailing dinghy

For the rudder...if it were up to me I'd make something a couple steps above a plain 2x12.
My 21' has a blade that can kick up. If that is not a concern a foiled 1 piece would work.
If you don't want fancy stuff then carve wood and glass over. There are sources for epoxy that are not as expensive as the marine stores.
I would shape, sand, stain, and varnish the tiller handle even if the rudder is simply glassed and painted, have it be something you enjoy looking at and holding in your hand.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	spot_rudder_cf.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	208673  
Old 14-02-2020, 03:59   #8

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Hello All,

I just recently got my master 100 ton and decided to take it a step further and live on the hook. I have a few questions I hope y’all have the patience for. Any advice / tips are greatly appreciated in advance. I just purchased a 77 24’ helms and a dinghy to drive to work. I’m about finished with the interior and getting into the more challenging hurdles on my list.

1.) am I crazy to build a rudder out of 2x12 pressure treated? Won’t be sailing, just need it for the 2 day trip to my mooring ball.

2.) can anyone help me out with a elec wiring diagram for a 200w solar system? (Will pay you via PayPal, Venmo, or zeille) will only be running a 12v mini fridge, bilge with float switch and marine radio. I can do it if I have a layout / some direction on a solar package

Cheers ��

Ty

You can find numerous solar wiring diagrams online for free just do a search

On the first one don't worry about hooking up the 12 volt bulb or the inverter (unless you need it). You just want power to the batteries. My batteries are in parallel as are my panels.

You might need a bit more than 200 watts of solar though if you plan to have a fridge. I have 155 watts and no fridge just lights, autopilot, fans, computer, monitor, VHF, Depth, inverter (400 and 1500 watt)

Example:
https://www.google.com/search?q=sola...3rucgZVc2wYNYM
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screen-0.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	31.1 KB
ID:	208675   Click image for larger version

Name:	100W-solar-wiring-diagram.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	270.9 KB
ID:	208676  

thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2020, 07:47   #9

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:
Hello All,

Cheers [emoji482]

Ty

1. Rudder’s probably fine for a 2-day motor as long as weather doesn’t get very rough. I’d take 2-2x10s and thru bolt them on edge. Bolts for leading edge needs to be sunk in. Nuts in the trailing edge need to be set in pockets at mid-depth of board. Use a router, planer whatever to round off leading edge.
Trailing plank needs to be beveled full width on both faces.

2. Later when I’m home.

3. Use it in the cockpit and store propane bottles on deck.

4. Don’t drink beer. Gimlets.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote