Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-11-2017, 07:16   #1

Boat: 2011 Lagoon 450F
...On Being a "Girly Girl"....

Lets talk "girl talk"!!!

I love to sail.. I love to race... I love to work on boats, and I am looking forward to (a very early) retirement as a full time live aboard/cruiser. That being said... I am also a "girly girl"!! I've had drawers filled with makeup, hair bobs... styling tools, closets FILLED to the rafters with gorgeous "girl clothes".. and over 100 pairs of high heeled shoes. (no.. I'm not kidding!!! lol) In other words.. I like to look feminine, pretty.. sometimes glamorous.. but always a GIRL!

I fully understand that I will not be able to bring it all with me. But I don't want to give up being a "girly girl". It's an integral part of who I am.

So, my question is: for those of you women who also love to be pretty and feminine... how do you do that on a boat in the tropics? What products and tools are "must haves"? And what should I toss? Any tips for keeping your skin and hair healthy and radiant? do you find certain styles of clothes and shoes work well in the tropics, but are still feminine and pretty? (I'm not the TEVA/Birkenstock kind of girl.. AT ALL!!) How do you get your nail polish to dry?!?! (lol.. perfectly painted toes are a MUST!!!) What about jewelry and accessories? Do certain types of jewelry not do well in the salt water environment? (i.e. silver.. pearls, etc)

... and anything else that fits in the category of "all things beautiful and girly"!
scarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2017, 07:32   #2

Boat: Beneteau 32.5
Re: ...On Being a "Girly Girl"....

Boat life can vary from glorified camping, anchoring out every night on a small pocket cruiser to luxury living on an expensive yacht staying at plush marinas. It's all a matter what you desire and of course money....
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2017, 07:34   #3

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

No place for that on a small boat.... unless perhaps you're thinking "cruise ship" or air conditioned superyacht. Ditch all that stuff, except one or two things to wear when you want to go out ashore and play dress-up. JMHO

Heels are dangerous for you and will damage the deck finish.
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2017, 08:12   #4
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Yes I think the only way to combine the two is find a way to get on a **very** large yacht, the sort that usually travels without the owner(s) who fly in to visit her once in a while.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2017, 08:45   #5

Boat: Lazy-Boy, fold out

LOL okay how about. Your requirements will all depend upon the size of your boat and climate. Small boat, tropics 2-3 bikinis, 2-3 pair shorts and matching tee shirts for going ashore along with flip flops and a pair of good walking shoes. Oh, don't forget the scuba gear. In our northern climate bring heavy parka to cover bikinis, 2-3 pr heavy grey wool sock and mukluks for walking in the snow. Don't forget the snow shovel!!!
Comix Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2017, 08:55   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Leopard 40 2009

Pearls? They come from salt water. All the web sites, plus some personal experience, says that chemicals and abrasion harms them, but salt and water do not. The silk (or nylon) thread, however, is subject to damage, but nothing that a freshwater rinse won't fix. They're living jewelry, so wear them.

Better to trust the man who is frequently in error than the one who is never in doubt." -- Eric Sevareid
John_Trusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2017, 09:04   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet View Post
Lets talk "girl talk"!!!

I love to sail.. I love to race... I love to work on boats, and I am looking forward to (a very early) retirement as a full time live aboard/cruiser. That being said... I am also a "girly girl"!! I've had drawers filled with makeup, hair bobs... styling tools, closets FILLED to the rafters with gorgeous "girl clothes".. and over 100 pairs of high heeled shoes. (no.. I'm not kidding!!! lol) In other words.. I like to look feminine, pretty.. sometimes glamorous.. but always a GIRL!

I fully understand that I will not be able to bring it all with me. But I don't want to give up being a "girly girl". It's an integral part of who I am.

So, my question is: for those of you women who also love to be pretty and feminine... how do you do that on a boat in the tropics? What products and tools are "must haves"? And what should I toss? Any tips for keeping your skin and hair healthy and radiant? do you find certain styles of clothes and shoes work well in the tropics, but are still feminine and pretty? (I'm not the TEVA/Birkenstock kind of girl.. AT ALL!!) How do you get your nail polish to dry?!?! (lol.. perfectly painted toes are a MUST!!!) What about jewelry and accessories? Do certain types of jewelry not do well in the salt water environment? (i.e. silver.. pearls, etc)

... and anything else that fits in the category of "all things beautiful and girly"!
Just out of curiosity?
Do you know how many pounds of gear you need to stay "Girly"?
How many cubic feet of storage it would require?
How often and for how long would the boat need to be perfectly still and stable to get those perfectly painted toes?
Power/voltage requirements for power tools of your trade?
uncle stinkybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2017, 09:16   #8

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

Hey Scarlet - Don't forget to pack it all in hard-sided rolling suitcases. Do you like to bring lots of hard-cover books, too?
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2017, 09:28   #9

Boat: Lagoon 450
Send a message via Skype™ to Integra

Scarlet,
The boys might snigger at the amount of stuff you bring with you, but when you appear from below looking radiant and beautiful they will be all smiles and charming.
My Daughter has the same conundrum - she currently has more clothes than the rest of the family put together in her walk-in wardrobe, and a whole drawer of nail varnish. Even buying a cat hasn't given us enough space. I've told her and my Wife they are going to have to take a few favorite things and use them again and again - after all when you're cruising you won't be seeing the same people so often.
Integra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2017, 09:31   #10

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet View Post
Lets talk "girl talk"!!!

Scarlet, I'm with you: perfectly painted toe nails are a must (fingernails never for me though, hands are for working so I always keep fingernails smoothly filed short). Nail polish just takes a little longer to dry in humid conditions, but it is not an issue.

When it is hot, few clothes are needed . Several of your favourite bikinis, shorts and feminine tops (cool cotton is the most comfortable) pack into a tiny bundle. I tend to be barefooted on board and flats are worn ashore. Something that you can wade in is most practical if you need to hop out of the dinghy early. There are "girly" shoes that do fit this bill.

Makeup is personal, but I think lightly tanned skin glowing with good health needs no enhancement other than a moisturiser. Sunblock is vital during the day. No reason why lipstick and a touch of eye makeup need to be abandoned. A tiny dab of French perfume always makes me feel good too .

In the tropics you are likely to be swimming several times a day and so styled hair is very impractical. Just get a good cut that can be simply towel dried, or grow it long enough to sweep up (my choice the last few years). Conditioner finger combed through your hair both before and after swimming helps stop it drying out. Plenty of good food and skipping the hair gels and sprays will soon have it soft and glossy, a good asset I think, as it is far nicer to touch.

I bet all the blokes saying "leave it all behind" would not mind a partner on board who has a few items of sexy underwear with her, so I highly recommend that you leave room in your drawer for these .

SWL

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2017, 09:47   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Integra View Post
Scarlet,
The boys might snigger at the amount of stuff you bring with you, but when you appear from below looking radiant and beautiful they will be all smiles and charming.
My Daughter has the same conundrum - she currently has more clothes than the rest of the family put together in her walk-in wardrobe, and a whole drawer of nail varnish. Even buying a cat hasn't given us enough space. I've told her and my Wife they are going to have to take a few favorite things and use them again and again - after all when you're cruising you won't be seeing the same people so often.
Actually my curiosity is genuine.
Each question I ask would need to be answered whether she was boarding a giant cruise ship or a small sailboat.
I have always found more beauty in the natural, than the "madeup" type, but that's a personal thing.
uncle stinkybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2017, 09:49   #12

Boat: Beneteau 38 Nordlund 72, Marquess 55, Jenneau 49

I bet all the blokes saying "leave it all behind" would not mind a partner on board who has a few items of sexy underwear with her, so I highly recommend that you leave room in your drawer for these .

SWL[/QUOTE]

Thank you Seaworthy Lass. You're absolutely right at least in my case. I don't know any guys that wants his partner to be "one of the boys". This goes for us guys too. We need to be able to make our partners proud of us also so guys. don't slack off. If you are cruising with a partner that should be your primary relationship to maintain. (after your one with your boat)
Valmika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2017, 09:55   #13

Boat: Coast 30

I would think that most of what Scarlet has could be nicely stowed in closets and drawers in a 55 to 72 foot sailing yacht. So I would not be at all surprised to hear later at some point that there is a lonely male sailor out there is prepared to make her a serious respectful offer.

So few women these days seem interested in maintaining such a feminine presence. While I appreciate them, My Coast 30+ could not accommodate.

Of course a serious plan 'B' could be to form the relationship on shore and do coastal cruising. Experience would thus decide the answers. Either regarding what to keep? or how big the new vessel needed to be?.

Now there is a very interesting Yacht interior design challenge?

I so hope this thread does not become the brunt of jokes? assuming it has a serious beginning.
coastalexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2017, 09:58   #14

Boat: 1977 Bristol 29.9 Hull #17

Scarlet,

I think you may get better advice on the facebook group "women who sail"
My wife is a member and likes the site quite a bit. It is a very supportive group on all sailing topics, from diesel engine work to galley must haves. We have gotten good advice on many topics there.

Fair winds
Pegu Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2017, 10:15   #15

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalexplorer View Post
I would think that most of what Scarlet has could be nicely stowed in closets and drawers in a 55 to 72 foot sailing yacht. So I would not be at all surprised to hear later at some point that there is a lonely male sailor out there is prepared to make her a serious respectful offer.

So few women these days seem interested in maintaining such a feminine presence. While I appreciate them, My Coast 30+ could not accommodate.

Of course a serious plan 'B' could be to form the relationship on shore and do coastal cruising. Experience would thus decide the answers. Either regarding what to keep? or how big the new vessel needed to be?.

Now there is a very interesting Yacht interior design challenge?

I so hope this thread does not become the brunt of jokes? assuming it has a serious beginning.
Coastal Explorer, what on earth makes you think that Scarlet is not in a long term relationship, and that even if not that she is looking for an "offer", respectful or otherwise?

And your comment that a 30 footer could not accomodate a feminine presence is also also a staggering one. So 30 footers or less are only for butch women? I must say your post made me burst out laughing.

SWL

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote