Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-02-2010, 09:06   #1

Location: Morlaix Brittany France blog: theguerns.blogspot.com
Boat: Colvic Watson/32ft/Feels Good
Send a message via Skype™ to feelsgood
Oil Lamps

Hi All I have just been reading some stuff about the health hazards of oil lamps in boats. Are any of you long time oil lamp users and could you tell me if any of you have had any bad experiences with these. Many Thanks Pete
feelsgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 09:26   #2

Boat: a sailing boat
We have one and I love it. I would like to get one of those Welsh miner's lamps next.

I heard a story when an oil lamp starter to throw loads of soot and made everything black in the cabin. Probably just do not leave it on when you go to the cockpit.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 09:33   #3

Boat: Coronado 25
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleHeadMd
I have one, and love mine. (cough)

Mine threw a lot of soot until I trimmed the wick to the proper shape. Use smokeless lamp oil, trim the wick and it will burn cleanly.
Old 12-02-2010, 11:29   #4

miners lamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
We have one and I love it. I would like to get one of those Welsh miner's lamps next.

I heard a story when an oil lamp starter to throw loads of soot and made everything black in the cabin. Probably just do not leave it on when you go to the cockpit.

b.
have a look here
Yacht Lamp Available in Brass or Chrome [L-700] - $165.00 : Ships Locker, Nautical Gifts & More
Old 12-02-2010, 12:29   #5

Boat: Endeavour 40
This is the same unit and mounting that I have in my boat. It puts out a very nice glow and no smoke when the wick is properly trimmed and kept down low. Great for the romantic evening with the wife, not so great for reading at night though.
s/v Geneve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 13:58   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle
I have three in my salon. Two gimballed and a bigger one hanging. I like them and on a cool night they provide quite a bit of heat. The smell is quite strong by the end of an evening and I have read that it is because the oil is stale so next time out I'll try fresh oil.
hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 14:12   #7

Boat: 42ft Colvin Gazelle - TLA HLA
I lived with them for years as my only source of light besides candles (and the sun..). The oil made specifically for them smokes far less than kerosene. Both work well when the wicks are propperly trimmed. Which needs to be kept after. Something concerning the health issues- They do put out CO and do use your O2. In a small area especially, you want to make sure it's ventilated. But the light is wonderful and can't be duplicated with electric. Lamps with mantles can be really bright but the mantles are delacate and having a supply is nescesary.
ConradG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 14:35   #8

Boat: 37ft pilothouse in the PNW
i have 2 gimballed and 1 hanging lamp as well. i love the ambiance they give. warm soothing light. i had noticed that the oil smell from them was offensive but changed over to a premium smokeless odorless oil and now i dont have any smells or smoke. personally i love my oil lamps makes the boat feel much more nautical.
michaelmrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 14:38   #9
S&S

Boat: 48' 1963 S&S yawl
DHR lamps

Anyone have oil lamps by DHR? We're looking for a mizzen boom anchor lamp and these seem nice.

S&S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2010, 08:56   #10

Boat: a sailing boat
Feelsgood - THX!

This is exactly the type I will go for. I adore them and appreciate the way the flame is protected from my curtains;-) and from the draft.

In Sweden we will use something called 'fotogen' which a believe to be a nearly odour-less fraction of oil. It works in our oil lamps and the only issue is to get the wick exact so that there is no soot flying around.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2010, 09:54   #11

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48
I'm amazed at how many of you use oil lamps...I have to say I never even considered them....but now...I'm truly intreged...especialy for outside use at anchor....Thanks
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2010, 12:03   #12

Boat: Far East Mariner 40
We have two gimbaled and two hanging and we love them. No problems with soot or odor... We use odorless oil, and keep the wicks clean and trimed. They can also supply some heat to the cabin on a cool evening. Provides a real nice nautical feel to our Ketch...
Islandmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2010, 12:06   #13

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34
I have an Atlantic oil lamp in my bunk and a Yacht oil lamp for my main salon. I can go days without using my DC lighting. I like em. I can read by them if I turn them up. The fuel is expensive (weems and plath) but haven't found anything cheaper that burns so clean. I want to add one oil lamp for the head and one for the galley.

I also have an Anchor light similar to the DHR posted above. It is probably 30 years old and was my parents anchor light while they circumnavigated (one of my prized possessions aboard). I can run the anchor light for 2 night before a refill of the reservoir is needed. I hang it from the forestay and have used it in 15-20 knots, but my parents have had it in much higher winds with no problems.

Cheers,
Erika

PS adding reflective tape to your stanchions and mast (masthead, spreaders and anchor lamp level) greatly increases your visibility.
Old 13-02-2010, 12:23   #14

oil lamps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean Girl View Post
I have an Atlantic oil lamp in my bunk and a Yacht oil lamp for my main salon. I can go days without using my DC lighting. I like em. I can read by them if I turn them up. The fuel is expensive (weems and plath) but haven't found anything cheaper that burns so clean. I want to add one oil lamp for the head and one for the galley.

I also have an Anchor light similar to the DHR posted above. It is probably 30 years old and was my parents anchor light while they circumnavigated (one of my prized possessions aboard). I can run the anchor light for 2 night before a refill of the reservoir is needed. I hang it from the forestay and have used it in 15-20 knots, but my parents have had it in much higher winds with no problems.

Cheers,
Erika

PS adding reflective tape to your stanchions and mast (masthead, spreaders and anchor lamp level) greatly increases your visibility.
Hey man try these people: candleson the web.co.uk
Pure refined paraffine lamp oil £3.50 a litre
Old 13-02-2010, 12:25   #15

oil lamps for anchoring

Quote:
Originally Posted by James S View Post
I'm amazed at how many of you use oil lamps...I have to say I never even considered them....but now...I'm truly intreged...especialy for outside use at anchor....Thanks
An LED anchor light is better and uses very little electric

Tags
lighting, living aboard