Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-10-2018, 10:18   #1

Boat: 1969 30 Mariner Sedan Cruiser
Oil lamps

I have a soft spot for flame lit lamps, a softer light that adds ambiance in a boat's interior. But you can also use one for your anchor light.

Here is the one I have, the Trawler Lamp:

https://www.google.ca/search?q=dutch...P2N5GFyaO6RhM:

Do any of you still use oil lamps or with the coming of LED lighting, have they gone the way of the Gooney bird?
rsn48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2018, 13:14   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
Re: Oil lamps

Have a large Den Haan trawler lamp that hangs over the saloon table. It puts out enough light to read by, takes the edge off a chilly evening, and just puts out a light that is way more pleasing than LED's. Under sail it's a PITA however. Cannot leave it hanging even with a bungee tether if seas are at all boisterous. Have to take it down, wrap it in towels and store in a locker. Always in fear that I'll break the glass globe when doing that and lamp leaks if it leans over too far. Not enough of a PITA to get rid of it though haven't used it much at all since I've moved the boat to Kona because of heat output.

Years ago when we researching our cruise to SoPac, kept hearing about kerosene lamps putting out too much heat to be used in the tropics. Thought it was people being too sensitive till we got south. Hardly ever used the multiple flat wick oil lamps that we always lit in SoCal evenings because they did put out noticable heat in those warm conditions.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2018, 06:45   #3

Boat: 39' Whitesell Ketch

Wandering Star has 3: An Aladdin Lamp on the bulkhead, a gimballed flat wick on the inside of the cabin side, and a portable dedicated anchor light with a very thick chimney/lens. The Aladdin is an unpressurized mantle lamp that provides light and heat. The anchor light is Dutch I think, I use it to supplement the masthead one in crowded conditions.
WanderingStar39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2018, 07:46   #4

Boat: Islander 36

I also like the look an feel of a flame. It gives the feel of a 'hearth' to a home or a boat.

I use the Weems & Plath lamps. They are bomb proof, don't leak. I tie it to something while sailing and it's fine. I look for them on eBay.

Since it is so bomb-proof, the disadvantage is you have to have bomb disposal skills to open it up to light or to add oil.
smith8273 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2018, 07:56   #5

I can't speak to varying regulations globally.

The USCG requires 2-mile visibility. I would determine what the reasonable visibility range is for that light then determine if it meets the requirements for the region where you're boating.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2018, 09:07   #6
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsn48 View Post
Do any of you still use oil lamps or with the coming of LED lighting, have they gone the way of the Gooney bird?
Still use an oil lamp as anchor light. Though it was confined to a locker for a long time as it was useless, but then a new lease of light

Actually much better now with a DIY anchorlight inside with high output LEDs.
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2018, 10:39   #7

Anchor lights can be seen for a long distance. I'm just going to do a copy and paste of an article, link at the bottom:

"We live in a world of light, almost anywhere in the United States you walk out the door in the middle of the night and you will see lights. They are everywhere and as a result; we fail to fully understand the question, how far away can you see a candle at night.

Because the earth is round, its surface curves out of sight at a distance of 3.1 miles, or 5 kilometers. Now with normal eyesight our visual acuity extends far beyond the horizon. If the Earth was flat, or if you were standing high on a mountain, you could see bright lights hundreds of miles in the distance. On a dark night, you could even see a candle flame flickering up to 30 mi. (48 km) away.

Because most of us live in areas where we are used to seeing lights all the time, we fail to realize how far away they can be seen....Cigarettes or any other light sources can be seen from much farther than we are used too, 3.1 miles on flat land, farther if the observer is at a high elevation.. With all the ambient lights that surround us, most of us are not used to a truly dark night, many who live in a city may never have seen one."

https://preparednessadvice.com/survi...-candle-night/
Old 27-10-2018, 00:24   #8

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

No kero for anchor lights these days for us. LEDs for those; but yes, we have a "trawler lamp", actually a racing trophy, with a flat wick, which is formed into a circle. When we were younger, at night, we could read by it, but we need more light now. However, it is a treasured memento, and sometimes, we light it for ambience, and cope with the low level lighting for supper.

Ann
Old 27-10-2018, 13:33   #9

The Dutch trawler lamp with its rounded wick and the way the diverter spreads the flame, and the white colouring underneath the shade also reflects light, the lamp is good for about 60 watts of lighting.
Old 31-10-2018, 20:18   #10

Boat: Freedom 30 cat ketch

Quote:
I have a soft spot for flame lit lamps, a softer light that adds ambiance in a boat's interior. But you can also use one for your anchor light.

Here is the one I have, the Trawler Lamp:

https://www.google.ca/search?q=dutch...P2N5GFyaO6RhM:

I have the exact same one over the main table, but electrified with soft light LED bulb. No flammable fluids below deck on my boat. The 20 y.o. rum bottle on the book rack doesn't count.
seadago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2018, 20:32   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by seadago View Post
The 20 y.o. rum bottle on the book rack doesn't count.

Would it count if you opened it?
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2018, 21:08   #12

Boat: Schucker mini-trawler
Send a message via AIM to janice142 Send a message via MSN to janice142 Send a message via Yahoo to janice142 Send a message via Skype™ to janice142

Quote:

I light mine in the evenings though not all the time. In hot weather I would rather not. Give me a breeze of any amount though and I'll hang a lantern in the doorway to the cockpit.

This oil lantern was by my bunk when I was a little girl. It is now on Seaweed as a reminder of childhood. I have citronella in it.

Like many others I have a weakness for the ambiance a lantern offers. I would love one of those spiffy wall mounts for my Aladdin Genie III (my winter source of heat)

I enjoy lighting the lamps when it is cooler.
Old 31-10-2018, 21:55   #13

Boat: Freedom 30 cat ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
Would it count if you opened it?
Only if it's a medical emergency!!
seadago is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oil, oil lamp