Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-08-2016, 15:44   #16

Boat: 38 roberts ketch
Re: Oil lamp

hmmm, i was thinking about this - i have 4 oil lamps and a few spare bottles of scentless lampoil - as much as i love the ambience, i realised i havent actually used them for a couple of years now - most of my lighting is fluoro so similiar power use to LED, if i have to replace anything it'll be with LED. Add the efficiency to the small safety margin, LED is just too good.
charliehows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2016, 00:14   #17

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40

Those little cheap LED fake candles work quite well for a nice ambient flickering glow...

Sent from my SM-G930F using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 19-08-2016, 09:02   #18

Boat: Sandibar 35

I have two oil lamps on the boat; one is a miners-type and the other a basic hurricane lamp (German Feuerhand). I just love them. With good quality lamp-oil there is no soot, at least I have yet to find any. But, primary use for us is not for lighting (the boat's 90% led), but for getting that ambience and an extra few degrees of temp inside the boat and saving the propane for cooking. We have sailed mostly northern Baltic so far, so the extra warmth is just a plus + keeping the air dry. I'm thinking of adding a fixed oil lamp installation with something more serious but do understand that in warmer climes there may be many cons. Here I can see none and I assume the same for Seattle area.
Sandibar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2016, 09:09   #19

Boat: Catalina 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
Why induce fire unnecessarily these days?
Because nothing says mood setting/romantic like a candle light. I know for sure when I'm trying to wine and dine the wife I don't go hang led lanterns.
Old 19-08-2016, 09:13   #20

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowpetrel View Post
Those little cheap LED fake candles work quite well for a nice ambient flickering glow...

Sent from my SM-G930F using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
This one really made me laugh... Romantic nautical ambiance of.... fake candles!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2016, 12:47   #21
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontherocks83 View Post
Because nothing says mood setting/romantic like a candle light. I know for sure when I'm trying to wine and dine the wife I don't go hang led lanterns.
No arguments there.....
nothing like a bit of ambience to heat things up..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1471636019339.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	71.6 KB
ID:	129812  
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2016, 14:19   #22

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
This one really made me laugh... Romantic nautical ambiance of.... fake candles!
Ha, I know, it sounds very tacky, but some of them are quite realistic (at least from a distance), they can be left on all night safely. And they don't blow out if you take them up into the cockpit.
Old 19-08-2016, 15:03   #23
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
We have two sets in our bedroom, and they really do look like real candles when on. The major difference is they last forever, never drip, and work off a remote control. They are even made out of candle wax, so the feel real as well.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2016, 15:09   #24

Boat: Catalina 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowpetrel View Post
Ha, I know, it sounds very tacky, but some of them are quite realistic (at least from a distance), they can be left on all night safely. And they don't blow out if you take them up into the cockpit.
See there's also other reasons that some people aren't aware of. First even if the LEDs look nice it's still not a pretty flame but MORE importantly those of us that are at the time in their life when they have young children a crazy job and no time to exercise (or are just lazy.......I mean I'm not lazy but for those who are), have maybe put on 20+ pounds and dont look good shirtless anymore. We roundish types need an excuse to turn out the lights before things get hot and heavy and an led doesn't cut it. "Honey I have to turn off the led so I don't waste the battery" is not nearly as believable as "let me blow out the lantern so we don't start a fire with our passionate love making".........not that I use the term "love making" or anything I just put it there for the people that do
Old 19-08-2016, 15:15   #25

Boat: Tashiba-31
Re: Oil lamp recommendations?

I understand what everyone means by LED's being very efficient - but I'm looking for the warmth and mood that a good lantern can provide and there will be time when I don't want any draw on the batteries except for emergency use.

BTW - I have a small camping lantern that contains a single candle. It is great for lighting a tent and is plenty bright enough to read by.

Going to look at a basic hurricane lamp. I've 2 antique glass ones at home that work great when the power is out.
dmksails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2016, 15:37   #26

Put a battery and a LED array in an old oil lamp and keep from turning your ceiling black and mucky. Not to mention the smell and handling. I even had an oil anchor lamp on my first cruise. Never again.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2016, 18:38   #27

Boat: PAE, Mason, 44 - Music

Hurricane lamps are very bright because the suck air up into the wick. Most boat lamps do not do that. The W&P lamps are designed to stay lit when the wind blows so they do not have the same air flow as hurricane lamps. As a result they are not as bright. Like most have said, oil lamps on a boat make great night lights when it is not too hot out. I have three of them, two are miner lamps and one is a spare anchor light (if needed). Nothing like having dinner in the cock pit with a oil lamp at anchor!
ardoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2016, 19:29   #28

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontherocks83 View Post
See there's also other reasons that some people aren't aware of. First even if the LEDs look nice it's still not a pretty flame but MORE importantly those of us that are at the time in their life when they have young children a crazy job and no time to exercise (or are just lazy.......I mean I'm not lazy but for those who are), have maybe put on 20+ pounds and dont look good shirtless anymore. We roundish types need an excuse to turn out the lights before things get hot and heavy and an led doesn't cut it. "Honey I have to turn off the led so I don't waste the battery" is not nearly as believable as "let me blow out the lantern so we don't start a fire with our passionate love making".........not that I use the term "love making" or anything I just put it there for the people that do
You dont have thenright knowledge. And led candle can last YEARS without "wasting" the battery. Why not enjoy the glow and let it burn all night....now that is romantic
Old 19-08-2016, 19:31   #29

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmksails View Post
I understand what everyone means by LED's being very efficient - but I'm looking for the warmth and mood that a good lantern can provide and there will be time when I don't want any draw on the batteries except for emergency use.

BTW - I have a small camping lantern that contains a single candle. It is great for lighting a tent and is plenty bright enough to read by.

Going to look at a basic hurricane lamp. I've 2 antique glass ones at home that work great when the power is out.
My mom has one of those candle lanterns. I never felt the light was bright enough but you can roast marshmallows on it, so still a win!
Old 19-08-2016, 22:37   #30

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

My boat came with big kerosene lantern running lights and anchor light. I guess I should sell them but can't bring myself to it. Still use the anchor light for good ol' times and the warm glow over the deck... and to be the only one in the anchorage with one!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oil, oil lamp