Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-10-2016, 04:48   #16

Re: Not quite a noobie

I have tried to get her excited about just about anything sailing related.

She seems to only perk up when I show her something quite modern.

By which I mean, a Beneteau or Jeanneau.
MJKobernus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 05:10   #17
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Not quite a noobie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJKobernus View Post
I have tried to get her excited about just about anything sailing related.

She seems to only perk up when I show her something quite modern.

By which I mean, a Beneteau or Jeanneau.
I rest my case.. both have designed interiors with the woman in mind.. easy to clean living space, comfortable, a decent galley area, light and generally roomier than 'mens boats'..
Both are good enough sailer's.. I've bought 2 Bene's in the Caribe and solo'd both back to the UK (321 &331).. so they are capable enough.
Remember.. everything is a compromise and she's the one who has to manage below decks most probably..
Sorry if this falls short of hoped for back up..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 06:33   #18

Mike: "Reverse psychology" may be the way to go. MyBelowed absolutely WOULDN'T listen when I told her repeatedly "You DON'T want a boat!!!". I mean REPEATEDLY. Then, after four months of that, she MADE me buy a boat - admittedly one she liked below-decks rather than one I would have liked for my own sake.

Cheers

TrentePieds
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 23:40   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentePieds View Post
Mike: "Reverse psychology" may be the way to go.
I don't think this would work. She would just say "Great!" and run out and buy a new pair of shoes....

Nope. The only way I am getting another boat, is A) if I get divorced or B) it appeals to her sufficiently. And new, shiny and plastic appears to be the only way to go.

I can live with that. Anyway, it makes sense to get the boat I need now, not the one I want later. In which case, I guess a Bavaria or Beneteau is in my future.
Old 15-10-2016, 23:24   #20

Well, I was right! I took my wife to view a 2000 Beneteau Oceanis 311, and she loved it. I must admit, there is a lot to like. It was very clean, the engine was very quiet, and it was practically turnkey (or at least, appeared to be so).

So we made an offer which was accepted.

It would not be my first choice for extended cruising, and obviously it is not really suited for offshore, but for out coastal cruising needs it is a good match for us.

And the best part?

My wife is enthusiastic and engaged, which is pretty much the most important part of this equation.

But winter is coming. And in Norway, that MEANS something! Roll on next year and Spring!
Old 15-10-2016, 23:48   #21

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
But winter is coming. And in Norway, that MEANS something! Roll on next year and Spring!
Why, my friend, you are now a boat owner, not tied to the horrors of winter. Go to where winter is only a term in the dictionary.

Oh, OK, maybe not quite yet, but it is something to think about! And congratulations on the purchase and the conversion of your wife! Well done!

Jim
Old 16-10-2016, 22:10   #22

Thanks, Jim. Now all I have to do is persuade her to join me as we point the boat south. The Med is only apx. 2000 NM away!

But with the nights getting longer and colder, the boat needs to be pulled and readied for winter. I have not had to do that before.

When I lived aboard, we kept the boat pretty toasty, so we never had to worry about the engine, etc.

I need a crash course in winterising.... emptying water tanks would be smart, I am sure.

Anyone got any tips?