Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-07-2021, 12:40   #91

Re: Non NZ cyclone season options

The very first thing said on the link was that the Maritime Border is closed..... That's pretty clear to me.
owly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2021, 15:11   #92

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Originally Posted by owly View Post
The very first thing said on the link was that the Maritime Border is closed..... That's pretty clear to me.
Hang on a mo - you started it!
'It's obviously possible to sail to NZ in spite of the pandemic.... I wonder what the quarantine rules are. The one Utuber Old Seadog seems have made it to Wangerrai, though this would seem to be the wrong season..... who knows how many months behind his videos are.... presumably he's moved on by now. I'm curious as to his planned route from here.'

We all knew that major refit was one of the few reasons a furrin boat would get in - and now just for you we have confirmed it.

Planned route out of NZ? None at the moment, difficult for an Australian crew to get into Oz..... aliens...? Forget about it.
El Pinguino is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2021, 20:12   #93

Boat: Island Packet 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post

Planned route out of NZ? None at the moment, difficult for an Australian crew to get into Oz..... aliens...? Forget about it.
Nah mate, claim you are a competitor in "Survivor".
Old 18-07-2021, 20:25   #94
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondR View Post
Nah mate, claim you are a competitor in "Survivor".

True but don't be a dick while in quarantine otherwise even ya mates will turn on you.

Looks like Katie is going to the front of departure lounge queue!
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2021, 20:34   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post

True but don't be a dick while in quarantine otherwise even ya mates will turn on you.

I feel for the security people who were confronted by her - naked.
There are some things which - once seen - can never be unseen.
Old 18-07-2021, 22:31   #96

Boat: Island Packet 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post

And also don't mention that you have a couple of dogs called Boo and Pistol aboard when you make the application (least popular dog names with quarantine officials in Australia)
Old 19-07-2021, 08:16   #97

Quote:
Hang on a mo - you started it!
'It's obviously possible to sail to NZ in spite of the pandemic.... I wonder what the quarantine rules are. The one Utuber Old Seadog seems have made it to Wangerrai, though this would seem to be the wrong season..... who knows how many months behind his videos are.... presumably he's moved on by now. I'm curious as to his planned route from here.'

We all knew that major refit was one of the few reasons a furrin boat would get in - and now just for you we have confirmed it.

I would question the assertion that foreign boats can get in for "major refit" at least as a generalization. Who makes the decision? How do you go about it? Apparently sailing in from Fiji or Tonga for refit can be done, but what is the process for circumventing the Maritime border closure? Total maritime border closure is a bit silly IMHO, and counter productive if the object is to control covid.

Those who are sailing long distances into the country are effectively quarantined during the passage, and those who have been vaxxed should pose little or no threat. It would be nice if they could do "quarantine light" for arrivals from Fiji and Tonga by first requiring that any arrivals be fully vaccinated 2 weeks prior to departure, then providing for a stop over at Minnerva to stretch the trip out to 2 weeks. Perhaps a boat stationed there with a medical officer to check documentation and administer tests before proceeding. Cooperation with the governments of Fiji and Tonga could pretty much prevent people from departing for Minnerva who did not meet the requirements.

The process of mindlessly putting everybody who arrives into a supervised quarantine without regard to any circumstances is simple... but silly. A 14 day stay in a Holiday Inn or something under a doctor's supervision is a major expense for the crew and an unnecessary one if they have been vaccinated, and spent a couple weeks in isolation at sea. It's enough that I won't be going there.........
owly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2021, 16:58   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by owly View Post
I would question the assertion that foreign boats can get in for "major refit" at least as a generalization. Who makes the decision? How do you go about it? Apparently sailing in from Fiji or Tonga for refit can be done, but what is the process for circumventing the Maritime border closure? Total maritime border closure is a bit silly IMHO, and counter productive if the object is to control covid.

It isn't total maritime border closure , merchant ships are still coming and going as normal. You go about getting an exemption by applying through the appropriate government department who make the descision. Controls on their border do seem to be working - there are two Spanish fishing boats in NZ harbours right now that arrived with covid cases aboard after quite long periods at sea.

Those who are sailing long distances into the country are effectively quarantined during the passage,
see above re the spanish fishing boats
and those who have been vaxxed should pose little or no threat
Vaxxed people can still catch and spread the virus.
It would be nice if they could do "quarantine light" for arrivals from Fiji and Tonga by first requiring that any arrivals be fully vaccinated 2 weeks prior to departure, then providing for a stop over at Minnerva to stretch the trip out to 2 weeks. Perhaps a boat stationed there with a medical officer to check documentation and administer tests before proceeding. Cooperation with the governments of Fiji and Tonga could pretty much prevent people from departing for Minnerva who did not meet the requirements.
I'm sure that the Fijian and Tongan authorities would be thrilled to bits to have NZ establish an outpost at Minerva Reef. And who would pay for this quarantine outpost?

The process of mindlessly putting everybody who arrives into a supervised quarantine without regard to any circumstances is simple... but silly. A 14 day stay in a Holiday Inn or something under a doctor's supervision is a major expense for the crew and an unnecessary one if they have been vaccinated, and spent a couple weeks in isolation at sea.
I refer you again to the spanish fishing boats. I think that the Wynn's seatime after leaving Minerva was counted towards their quarantine.
It's enough that I won't be going there.........
That is rather sad that you won't be going there , sadly you won't be going anywhere else south of the cyclone belt either. Australia has essentially the same entry restrictions on yachts as NZ and Chile is totally closed.
I guess you could go to Peru but I would not recommend that at many levels.

https://www.odt.co.nz/star-news/star...ound-lyttelton

https://www.odt.co.nz/star-news/star...med-ship-bluff

Mattina's previous port was Fremantle, WA, so she has obviously brought the virus from a previous port to that, possibly SE Asia or the Subcontinent.

Time at sea does not neccesarily a healthy ship make.
Old 19-07-2021, 17:51   #99

Boat: Sail & Power for over 35 years, experience cruising the Eastern Caribbean, Western Med, and more

@El Pinguino

Thanks for replying with facts and sanity, instead assumptions and personal opinions that some like to suggest as being the same as facts...
jmh2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2021, 03:43   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondR View Post
I'll start panicking when we get to 10??
Off you go then....

https://www.9news.com.au/national/co...-sydney_260721

Quote:
Two more people have died from COVID-19 in Sydney's Delta strain outbreak.

A woman in her 80s died at a house in Pendle Hill this afternoon, and a man, also aged in his 80s, died at Campbelltown Hospital this morning.

NSW Health said these are the ninth and tenth COVID-19 related deaths linked to the city's current outbreak.

.......R.I.P

Be Brave, Take Risks, Nothing Can Substitute Experience
IslandHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2021, 04:08   #101

Getting into NZ
Bit of a clickbait title but whatever. They had been stuck in Tonga long time
This is not a game plan for crossing the SoPac
Old 26-07-2021, 06:13   #102

Quote:
Bit of a clickbait title but whatever. They had been stuck in Tonga long time
This is not a game plan for crossing the SoPac

That's a bit more than clickbait. Bragging about breaking a country's immigration law isn't very smart. I guess it's part for the course for the e-beggar crowd.
NaClyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2021, 15:14   #103

Boat: Outremer 55L

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaClyDog View Post
That's a bit more than clickbait. Bragging about breaking a country's immigration law isn't very smart. I guess it's part for the course for the e-beggar crowd.

They didn’t break any laws - they used a perfectly legitimate exemption category to get permission to enter New Zealand. They entered legally and have followed all the rules so far.

The title graphic could be considered click-bait, but how is that different from any other YT title?
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2021, 15:38   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxykty View Post
They didn’t break any laws - they used a perfectly legitimate exemption category to get permission to enter New Zealand. They entered legally and have followed all the rules so far.

The title graphic could be considered click-bait, but how is that different from any other YT title?

The preview screen displayed here on CF for that post says "BORDERS CLOSED! How we snuck into New Zealand". I see you are from Auckland, is sneaking into your country not breaking the law? I'm not aware of a way to legally clear into another country and also sneak in.

If you put that information on a public forum, I consider that bragging about breaking the law. The height of stupidity but yes, not surprising for people e-begging on YT.
NaClyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2021, 16:47   #105

If you had bothered to watch it you would see that the title was in response to all the queries they had regarding their entry.
The also had a good bit about not upsetting the authorities the way Zatara did last year.
I was rather disappointed by the title - I prefer my clickbait to have more T&A.