Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-05-2023, 20:07   #61

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran
Re: No sailing experience but wanting to buy a 41ft morgan out island as a liveaboard

I, for one, I have thoroughly enjoyed reading this thread just now.

If there was ever an emoji for this thread it is this one:

Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2023, 11:52   #62

Boat: Hunter 38
Re: No sailing experience but wanting to buy a 41ft morgan out island as a liveaboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwedeking2 View Post
F
I will say that those I've seen who live aboard solely for financial reasons usually go back to land after a couple years.
and I'm willing to bet most of them leave the boat where it was to slowly decay, sink, and clog up an anchorage with yet another eyesore
flightlead404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2023, 12:20   #63

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by flightlead404 View Post
and I'm willing to bet most of them leave the boat where it was to slowly decay, sink, and clog up an anchorage with yet another eyesore
Here they usually try the liveaboard life at a marina.

The older guys seem to be the only ones that can make it work.

At my last marina, a guy in his 60's lived on a Coronado 27 for a few years. He had me come aboard once and I thought I was going to fall through the weak deck.

He later got a 31' full or long keel sailboat but said he couldn't find the entrance to Little Creek. I asked him could he not find the range lights coming in. He didn't know what range lights were.

Later it was a navy seal and a buddy of his on 2 boats. A Hunter and a C&C 32. These guys have slept in much worse places than on a boat, but they only lasted maybe during the Summer Months then rented a large apartment that cost twice as much as most any apartment around.

Guess they'd had enough of dealing with all that goes along with living on a boat at a marina.

A friend of mine that moved from his apartment to his boat immediately gained about 20 lbs. His move was about 200'. This in Pensacola, FL

He moved from his apartment to his boat. He was on the first deck and I was on the 2nd.

Our apartment had a dock.

He lost that boat, a Tayana 37, during hurricane Ivan in 2004. Unfortunately he had no insurance which is why he had it pulled. That didn't help though because that boatyard was along an area that got the full surge of 18'

On my dock at this time we have 5 liveaboards. My marina has 6 docks.

Anyway one of the guys is living aboard J/30. A J/30 that I almost bought, but I never went to see it. It really isn't setup for any sort of cruising, even for overnighting but for the price (around $7,000) it would have been a good deal. The diesel on it works fine

Another guy is on a Morgan 34 (that he had made to looks brand new practically and has gotten it's diesel going. Think he got it for $10K) and another on a Freedom maybe 32. The other two or on smaller boats that never move.

Anchoring out though is a whole different ball game. You'd almost have to be forced to live that way especially while still working.

Make that six liveaboards at on my dock. A young couple maybe around 30 years old just moved in on the 28' sailboat near me. Boat looks to be an old school full keel boat or something similar.

They and the guy on the J/30 may have just separated from the military either by choice or forced

There's another kid on the dock across from me on maybe a 27' fin keel sailboat. I'm guessing he is a student probably electrical engineer or tech as he has 5 huge solar panels powering everything on his boat. The panels cover all ports and the main hatchway. He comes and goes through the forward hatch.

Drives a late model BMW I think it is so he isn't destitute
thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2023, 05:24   #64

Boat: Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsizemore76 View Post
I dont have any sailing experience but im reading some sailing books and researching
There's only so much you can learn watching youtube and reading. Go take the first two ASA classes.

Quote:
41ft morgan out island center cockpit. Needs some cosmetic tlc but from what the broker says the boat is solid and last used in april. Its in my budget.
Far too big for a first boat. Probably too big to maintain singlehanded.

Look for a 30-33 footer for your first one. If you like the Out Islands, an Out Island 33 would be a better choice.

Living on a boat at anchor while trying to work full time is not going to be easy unless you're a remote worker with Starlink.
Cloroxbottle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2023, 09:16   #65

I’m in year three of living aboard and it’s the best decision I’ve ever made. That said, the difference between living on the hook and living in a marina (what I do) is huge.

I live in Annapolis, out of the worst of the hurricane zone, winters aren’t awful and compared to rent on land it’s cheap. Properly maintaining and upgrading a boat isn’t, but if you’re handy you’ll save tons.

I would encourage you to move your job if you can. Find a marina somewhere between Charleston and Annapolis and start from there (moderate winters and away from hurricanes). Keep your boat clean so you don’t annoy your neighbors and fix it up over time. Once you have a decent solar or generator setup and are used to the life then consider living on the hook.

The Morgan you are looking at it a pretty unique boat - not a bad choice. Never believe anything a broker tells you until you verify it. My experience with brokers is 50/50. 50 percent great - 50 percent so dishonest it is comical.

It’s not unreasonable to find a marina situation for less than 1k a month in the areas I’ve described
X Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2023, 09:47   #66

Boat: Ocean Alexander tri cabin 52'

Think smaller and newer for a starter boat. 36' is plenty big for a single person. Easier to learn to single hand. Think carefully about engine condition. Referigeration/ freezer a must and a means to power them.
I live on a 34' C&C at a dock in Alaska 4 months of the year.
MVDarlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2023, 10:13   #67
CLOD

Boat: none

Man if you can manage a 36' boat you can manage a 45' boat. If you have the money the bigger space is always worth having when living on a boat.

An old Morgan OI-41 would make a great live aboard boat for a single person or couple.

None of this matters as the OP hasn't logged in since the day after he posted the question.
Old 26-05-2023, 10:27   #68

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Golly...I wonder why he left?
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2023, 10:58   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
He probably realized what a crazy idea it was to try to live on an old sailboat at anchor near Panama City.
Old 26-05-2023, 11:04   #70
CLOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
It was mostly positive still by then except from you know who.
Old 26-05-2023, 11:36   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
It was mostly positive still by then except from you know who.
And there lies the problem.

The guy comes to ask about living at anchor on a sailboat.

He has zero experience it appears on sailboats or boats period.

Then he gets responses like "Go For It" from people that do not think through all the potential problems the OP might face if he did.

I simply couldn't stand by without trying to caution him as to the possible downside(s) and there are many.

The guy is already complaining about the cost of an apartment in his area so he comes here and folks say Go For It!

Buy an old boat and live on it at anchor!

While at the same time, we all know what it can cost to get an old boat into decent shape.

Plus he will at least need good anchors, and a useable dinghy, plus A/C since his is in Panama City, FL.

And that's just for starts. Then he'll need fuel for the generator he will need to buy to power the A/C. Fuel for the boat and Dinghy.

Good chain and rode for the anchors will be needed.

He'll need to find a good spot to anchor his new home having zero experience anchoring much less picking out a good spot..

Plus a place to beach the dinghy where he can leave it when he goes to work.

Where to park his vehicle.

And the list goes on.

Then if bad weather (hurricane/tropical storm) approaches as a beginner, he is pretty much lost
Old 26-05-2023, 11:52   #72
CLOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
And there lies the problem.

The guy comes to ask about living at anchor on a sailboat.

He has zero experience it appears on sailboats or boats period.
No the problem as normal is people like you who have not done it trying to say how to do it!
Old 26-05-2023, 12:00   #73

Quote:
No the problem as normal is people like you who have not done it trying to say how to do it!
Sorry you are wrong again as usual.

I'm giving the OP with no experience some idea of the possible nightmare he could end up getting himself into.

Maybe you should go back to "Cruising Florida" for another 6 years. (or is that cruising 'round the mooring ball in Florida!!?)
Old 26-05-2023, 12:23   #74
CLOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
Maybe you should go back to "Cruising Florida" for another 6 years. (or is that cruising 'round the mooring ball in Florida!!?)
Compared to you either of those may as well be world cruising. Just got back from 5 months of anchor out "cruising" covering about 3000 miles. How does that compare to your cruising experience?

Time for a beach cat story and video I bet
Old 26-05-2023, 13:38   #75

Quote:
Compared to you either of those may as well be world cruising. Just got back from 5 months of anchor out "cruising" covering about 3000 miles. How does that compare to your cruising experience?

Time for a beach cat story and video I bet
Sounds like a prison sentence.

As far as beach cats, thanks for the reminder.

I wish there was still an active beach cat racing fleet up this way.

I'd probably go buy something to race with, but it would take a while to get into good enough shape to be competitive at my age. Unless it was a calm day like this day on a lake in South Carolina back in 2002 or so. (see attached photo)

In the meantime, I'll be cruising the Chesapeake Bay on my Good Old Boat.

We have pretty strong NE winds coming in for the next few days with lows in the 50's, so I'll be headed to the country house.

I got in my 1 x 19 wire and 4 Sta-Lok compression fittings so I plan to at least build up a new backstay over the weekend
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	i17r.1.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	195.2 KB
ID:	275859  

Tags
enc, liveaboard, morgan, morgan out island, sail, sailing