How naive I was at how much work
fixing up a boat
could possibly be. I use to be a man of many hobbies before the boat. After the boat, I only had one and it really took over my life, to annoyance of my wife. All the hours spent cramming myself into small spots on the boat to install this or that were dwarfed only by the hours spent reading, researching and buying
. But I did enjoy most of the process and now know every. single
. inch. of Carpe Ventum.
What also stood out to me in that first post were my cost estimates. I said $40k for the boat and $40k for upgrades. I ended up not terribly too far above (ha, who is ever below?). $45k for the boat and $50k for upgrades. (These and all other amounts are in US dollars.)
I installed some luxuries (i.e., watermaker) that I didn't originally have in mind, so that contributes some to the overrun. I also don't think I realized how much could be spent on hoses and their clamps, screws, bolts and nuts, and electric
cable and connectors. Included in the $50k are items that are more general maintenance
, such as oil
changes and bottom paint
, rather than "refit" costs. It also includes some $2,600 in tools I have amassed, which should serve me well later in life.
The point being that one can view these as refit
costs, or not. Either way, I spent it.
What does the cost not include? Storage
, payments to the USCG, etc. Boat was purchased in cash, so no payments to a bank. It also doesn't include "homey" items that my wife has been purchasing
, any food provisioning
related items, fishing/spearfishing gear
or camera equipment
(of which there is plenty).
To have a picture of where I started, the boat itself was in near original condition from 1983. It had (and still has) the original Westerbeke
33, with no hour counter. She starts like a champ, so there is no plan to replace. There are no major structural issues that need to be address. There were a few leaks
that have been easily fixed and the sole around the mast
has about a square foot of rot
(a common issue with Sabres). I have stopped this rot
from expanding with a lot of epoxy
, but the fix is to replace the entire sole; not something I care to do now.
, log and depth
sensors were original. The GPS
was 15 years old with an equally old wheel autopilot
. It even had a Loran! The only items not original and that did not otherwise need replacing were the standing rigging
. Both were purchased by an owner around 2004, but they sold
the boat shortly after to someone who just used her as an apartment and hardly sailed. This last owner installed an engine
driven SeaFrost in the icebox
I'm not saying what I did is the best way, the right way and certainly not the only way. It's just what I did. I realized along the way that one can think and debate for hours on what to buy, but at some point you just need to buy (or not buy) it. Thankfully, thought, I have few regrets.
On to the main point: I broke the costs down into 8 categories, which total to the $50k. In summary, these are:
The following posts will expand on each of these categories.