Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-09-2017, 11:28   #16

Boat: Sabre 38
Re: No longer a wannabe!

The boat appears to have been untouched since 1983, including just about any hose onboard. On my first journey, delivering her down the Hudson from Kingston, NY to Brooklyn, the hose for the galley sink raw water intake sprung a leak and the seacock wouldn't close! On top of this, the sanitation system stunk, the bilge pump hoses had cracks and the "fresh" water hoses were slimy. Suffice to say that all of it needed to be replaced.

Head: A new Raritan PHII because the original needed to go. Was one of my first realization and purchases. Also added an inline strainer to keep critters out. Works like a charm.

Sani hose: Replaced with that black 101 hose from Trident that Peggy Halls recommends. Original was that white crap.

Galley/Head/Scrubber: Replaced all drain and intake hoses elsewhere on the boat with engine intake hose, without the wire reinforcement that tends to get rusty.

Bilge pumps (auto and manual), and water tank fills: Replaced with heavy duty 147 hose from Trident. Original was that white crap (again).

Fresh water system: Ripped out every slimy hose and replaced with PEX and push-to-connect fittings. Removed the hot water heater to open up space (and who needs hot water in the Caribbean?). Included a filter via Thinwater's recommendation to keep the bugs out (even though we have a watermaker). Also included a filter on the raw water galley intake.

Faucet: Wife really wanted a new faucet and sink. Got the faucet, but wasn't able to get the sink in time (Home Depot screwed me). And I'll be damned if a sink was going to delay my departure! The original sink is a bit rusted, so it still may be replaced in the future.

Refrigerator: One of the few projects still not completed. I have an on-going thread about it, so I won't go into much more detail. In short, the engine driven SeaFrost just isn't working well enough, so out goes the ice original box and in goes a newly insulated, air cooled, evaporator plate fridge and freezer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Plumbing.jpg
Views:	501
Size:	136.7 KB
ID:	156514  

s/v Carpe Ventum
1983 Sabre 38
My Intro
fallingeggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2017, 12:07   #17

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Congrats! 👍
belizesailor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2017, 13:12   #18

Boat: Formerly Pearson 28-1, now just a sailing dinghy

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingeggs View Post
. Then we're off to the Caribbean. We are planning on a clockwise circumnavigation of the Caribbean, with due regard to the devastation wrought by Irma and Maria. Namely, our budget is $2k a month as compared to his $3k.!
Set a reasonable goal achievable with the means at hand, that's the way to do it! GIT 'ER DONE! Congrats!
brownoarsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2017, 14:12   #19

Boat: Currently in between

Congrats and looking forward to the comparison of your $2K vs. SB's $3K a month. I have followed SB's posts with great interest and think when we shove off, soon, very soon, we will be in the $3K camp, at least for a while. Maybe you can show us how $2K will work. Ken is doing great to get by on $1K but I'm not holding my breath we can make that happen..
Old 23-09-2017, 04:40   #20

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Ken is doing great to get by on $1K but I'm not holding my breath we can make that happen..
Ken has also told us that he owns two Ferrarais, his big Oyster and a house in Boston, all on the proceeds of 2x 6mo/year nurses salaries.

He must be a financial genius.

I think the 2-3k$ per year are more realistic goals for most cruisers.

I have not made a detailed analysis of our budget during all our years of full time cruising, and I wouldn't trust it if I had. There are just too many variables to tie it down to some fixed number. In the long run, most long term cruisers learn to survive on whatever funds t hey have available. When more money is there, they spend it. When it isn't, they economize. That is reality to me, not some arbitrary figure plucked from the air. if you really want to do the cruising thing, you will learn to make do with whatever you have at your disposal. For those who stipulate that they must have some particular level of luxury (to avoid being "just camping"), well, if you don't have the requisite funds, I guess you gotta stay home. Other folks alter their demands to fit the reality of their finances. Seems simple to me...

Jim
Old 23-09-2017, 07:13   #21

Boat: Currently in between

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
In the long run, most long term cruisers learn to survive on whatever funds they have available. When more money is there, they spend it. When it isn't, they economize. Other folks alter their demands to fit the reality of their finances. Seems simple to me...

Jim
You would be correct, at least that is my opinion.

My ex-brother-in-law once told me "A person's level of living will always rise to meet their income!" He was explaining why, after taking a 2nd job, he was still broke.

I plan to track my expenses for curiosity sake, not to alter my lifestyle. My lifestyle gets altered when the bank account is empty. Like you said Jim, simple!
Old 23-09-2017, 07:45   #22

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

So far if you discount non recurring refit costs like buying an SSB, watermaker etc. we have been able to stay under $3K, and that is with having an automobile still and other fixed land costs like storage.
However we go out to eat once a week or so for Lunch as that is cheaper and spend usually about $25. Instead of going to the movies, we rent one from a Redbox etc. That is full time Marina as well, so lose the car, marina and storage costs etc., and I can see $2K
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2017, 08:33   #23

Boat: Catalina 470

Well done mate, and thanks for posting, got to love your enthusiasm.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2017, 08:49   #24

Boat: Moody 54

The first step is the biggest step. Well done.
MamaKube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2017, 09:20   #25

Boat: Beneteau 38 Nordlund 72, Marquess 55, Jenneau 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
Congratulations Amigo....
It's great to see these stories because it gives the Wannabes and Dreamers incentive that YES you can make it! We were in your $2000/Mo budget range so it will be great to see how you pull it off!

Cheers and Enjoy.....you made it!
Are we going to miss you at strictly sail pacific this year? If you plan on making it up to Bahia Los Angeles let me know. We have a place there with a mooring in about 12 feet of water. Did you get your daughters boat straightened away in Marina Del Rey? My offer to help still stands.

Mark
Valmika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2017, 09:25   #26

Boat: Small yellow rubber ducky

I am jealous.
Still working at 71.
Just sailing in summer.
I envy you and shall live through your posts.
taxwizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2017, 09:28   #27

Boat: Pearson 367 cutter, 36'

Stephen, congratulations, and thanks for doing the accounting!

How do you like Bock Marine? I'm thinking of going up there to have some work done on my boat - I've heard good things.

By the way, I'm about two years behind you in terms of starting my long term cruising. I have made ICW and Bahamas trips, but in about Dec 2019, if the sea gods approve, I will be bound for the Virgin Islands, and then on to points east and south. I think I have almost enough projects to keep me busy until then. No....I definitely have enough, since I still work Monday to Friday.
AJ_n_Audrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2017, 09:43   #28

Boat: Rafiki 37

Congrats. It’s a great life. Not easy, but I wouldn’t have it any other way. We sold our land house going on three years ago now, and have called the boat home ever since. We cruise in the warm months, and do other things in the cold b/c we’re still in Canada.

So far we’re able to do it for a lot less than some, but more than others. For us, the best way we’ve found to avoid over-spending is to stay out of marinas, and away from typical urban/touristy spots. Hard to spend money while swinging from your anchor.

Like you say, costs are real though. I found those little things do add up, but once the tool locker is full, the major upgrades done, and you have enough spare shackles, ss fasteners, hoses, pumps, spare engine parts, line, etc., these costs do slow down.

As Jim says, we tend to spend when we have the extra cash, and economize when we don’t — kinda like we’ve always lived. No big stress over the budget. Life’s too short for that .
Old 23-09-2017, 10:44   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingeggs View Post
How naive I was at how much work fixing up a boat could possibly be. I use to be a man of many hobbies before the boat. After the boat, I only had one and it really took over my life, to annoyance of my wife. All the hours spent cramming myself into small spots on the boat to install this or that were dwarfed only by the hours spent reading, researching and buying. But I did enjoy most of the process and now know every. single. inch. of Carpe Ventum.

What also stood out to me in that first post were my cost estimates. I said $40k for the boat and $40k for upgrades. I ended up not terribly too far above (ha, who is ever below?). $45k for the boat and $50k for upgrades. (These and all other amounts are in US dollars.)

I installed some luxuries (i.e., watermaker) that I didn't originally have in mind, so that contributes some to the overrun. I also don't think I realized how much could be spent on hoses and their clamps, screws, bolts and nuts, and electric cable and connectors. Included in the $50k are items that are more general maintenance, such as oil changes and bottom paint, rather than "refit" costs. It also includes some $2,600 in tools I have amassed, which should serve me well later in life.

The point being that one can view these as refit costs, or not. Either way, I spent it.

What does the cost not include? Storage, insurance, payments to the USCG, etc. Boat was purchased in cash, so no payments to a bank. It also doesn't include "homey" items that my wife has been purchasing, any food provisioning related items, fishing/spearfishing gear or camera equipment (of which there is plenty).

To have a picture of where I started, the boat itself was in near original condition from 1983. It had (and still has) the original Westerbeke 33, with no hour counter. She starts like a champ, so there is no plan to replace. There are no major structural issues that need to be address. There were a few leaks that have been easily fixed and the sole around the mast has about a square foot of rot (a common issue with Sabres). I have stopped this rot from expanding with a lot of epoxy, but the fix is to replace the entire sole; not something I care to do now.

The wind, log and depth sensors were original. The GPS was 15 years old with an equally old wheel autopilot. It even had a Loran! The only items not original and that did not otherwise need replacing were the standing rigging and sails. Both were purchased by an owner around 2004, but they sold the boat shortly after to someone who just used her as an apartment and hardly sailed. This last owner installed an engine driven SeaFrost in the icebox around 2010.

I'm not saying what I did is the best way, the right way and certainly not the only way. It's just what I did. I realized along the way that one can think and debate for hours on what to buy, but at some point you just need to buy (or not buy) it. Thankfully, thought, I have few regrets.

On to the main point: I broke the costs down into 8 categories, which total to the $50k. In summary, these are:

Plumbing/Head/Galley: $3.1k
Engine: $2.1k
Sailing: $7.1k
Electric System: $7.5k
Electronics: $7.8k
Canvas: $4.0k
General: $3.3k
Other: $8.0k
Tools/Supplies/Books: $5.7k

The following posts will expand on each of these categories.
I would agree. you've spent a healthy chunk of change but telling people you were over your expected cost is not a realistic evaluation if you were able to allow for a $40,000 pre purchase expenses for refurbishing. that's not really within a $2000/month crusing allowance. I am okay with that if you had the monies set aside as a pre purchase allotment. Many here do not have that kind of monies to begin with and must pay all our normal bills w/o consideration of purchase or cruising budget. I am doing the Great Loop with my wife on a thirty foot Ericson which we bought for $15000. We spent about that much more refurbishing it and are about 80% there. only thing I am wondering is whether you just put in the cost of your supplies or if you also gave credit for the labor (including your own). On ours, we have over 1000 man/woman hours of work to date. If we do minimum wage labor rates, that's $10,000 if yard rates (minimum) its about $85000. Don't forget to include labor costs in your budget if you are looking to help others. Wannabees tend to be unrealistic about what they are able to do (or need to learn to do) and equally so about yard rates. I find that is what keeps many couch potatoes on the couch or returns them there early on in their endeavors. I am not trying to be overly critical as the cruising life is, for us like yourselves, something to be desired, earned and enjoyed. Just want to keep it realistic. Fair winds and following seas my friend
Bruce V
SV BEATITUDES (by His Grace)
Huron, Ohio
bruce v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2017, 11:13   #30

Boat: Sabre 38

Thanks all! Away from the computer for the weekend, so will continue the cost posts when I get back.

As for the budget, I pick up what everyone is putting down. By no means am I on a mission to spend $2k a month come hell or high water. If we spend less, great, more cash for a house later. And a smaller down payment if we spend more.

I obviously don't know where we will end up. We won't stay in many marinas and we have always like cooking our own food. And our maintenance costs should be fairly low. But we also like to experience local food, drink and activities, especially with friends.

s/v Carpe Ventum
1983 Sabre 38
My Intro
fallingeggs is offline   Reply With Quote