Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-12-2016, 05:13   #1

Newbie on Moody

I am in the infancy of looking for a monohull, mainly for coastal cruising, I am looking at Germany or UK down to Turkey and Greece, I will not be 100% lifeboats as my wife is a doctor in Germany and doesn't want to give up work as I am nearly retired and want to sail off into the sunset, now the question is, I have been looking at Benne, Jenn, and Bavaria's, not keen on the Jenn range but sort of like some of the Moody boats that are around, why do they keep there price so well, I also like the Benne range is the technology of sailing much better on these newer boats I am looking at 11 to 12 never.
inet-projects is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 05:37   #2

Boat: Valiant 40
Re: Newbie on Moody

Essentially boats that hold their value well as they age are better built. More robust construction, higher quality hardware, better interior fitout.

Beneteau can crank out boats at an unbelievably low price point. Their market muscle, in terms of their buying power for masts, hardware, and machinery, is pretty extraordinary.

The other factor is simple supply and demand. There are a LOT of Beneteaus on the used boat market simply because they are the world largest sailboat maker, and that depresses their resale value to a degree.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 05:38   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by inet-projects View Post
sort of like some of the Moody boats that are around, why do they keep there price so well.
Same reason that a older Mercedes will hold value more than an old Chevrolet.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 05:41   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

The smaller Moodys were not cheap when new which is why Moodys gave up making smaller yachts, they couldn't compete with the mass production and race to the bottom of the quality ladder. I have the original invoices for mine in 1988 and it came to £58,000. So in addition to using really good materials for building them, people who bought Moodys tended to be able to afford for boatyards to maintain them properly which today means they are often a good buy.

Bill Dixon who I have me a few times did an excellent job on designing modern looking fast cruising yachts. Indeed the latest Bavaria and Beneteau yachts are still using the same layouts of an early 1980s Moody, because it works so well.

Finally there are now very few yachts made with twin keels. So any second yacht models command a price because people still want them.

The active owners association has a forum under "Information Exchange" if you have a query about a particular model.

Moody Owners Association | For owners of Moodys and Hanse built Moodys
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote