Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-10-2020, 13:24   #16

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: New. Overwhelmed. Undeterred. & Seeking advice from the starting line.

No matter where you live, you still have the same basic needs for warmth, sanitation, food, water. There ought not be something overwhelming about the idea of living aboard a boat. It is merely floating rather than dirt dwelling. Consider the people living in extreme climates all over the world. Living is living.

Many writers prior to this post encourage you to buy your liveaboard for your living aboard experiment. I think this would be best, too, mainly because of the difficulty for the owner, otherwise, that you might try to escape with their boat. I don't mean this as an attack on you, don't know you at all, in any way, only that it is not an unreasonable concern. If the vessel has another reason it could not be moved, then maybe you could find one like Don C L did. But read closely what he wrote, for it depended on word of mouth: it is unlikely someone would advertise it.

I'd try want ads in my local area, and nearby marinas (where there are trawler type yachts) and see what happens, but I would not really expect the effort to bear fruit. It might, but it seems a long shot to me. If there is a free trawler magazine you can put a want ad in, that would be another place. You're looking for someone who regards his/her boat not as a beloved possession, but as a bit of property they'd like to get something for. It is a big change for most boat owners, and usually what they want is to sell the darn thing.

Ann
Old 24-10-2020, 14:04   #17

Look for houseboat rentals.
Danm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2020, 16:12   #18

Generally, if you live in a house and turn on the light switch or the bathroom shower, you expect these services to work. They work because you pay someone or a utility to provide that service.
The quick lesson on a boat is that this is no longer true. These services only work if you understand and manage them yourself. Boats have reticulation systems that houses don't have. In-built engines, fuel systems, low voltage systems, anchorage systems, hull cleaning, varnishing/painting and anti-fouling issues, mind boggling insurance, no garage for the car; and all this in a cramped, chemically aggressive and bouncing environment.
But what a boat does provide is a sense of relative freedom. You can go places. You tend to meet more competent souls and you learn a lot. And the sea is a place of beauty and moods. There are also many unspoken rules that come with boat ownership or use. You will learn these with experience.
In a house or apartment, you would expect your neighbors to be from a similar financial/social background. Not so in a marina - your neighbors may be a mix of the filthy rich and the desperately destitute.
So I would suggest that just "messing around with boats" such as assisting with slippage work, doing a course on marine engines, navigation courses, crewing for others etc. will give you some important insights and ... all going well... you may come across an offer to live on board or even see the boat you want to buy.
Also, your circle of friends an acquaintances may need to change.
billgewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2020, 01:13   #19

Boat: Tiara Open 36

Powerboat dealers/brokers could be helpful. They know of owners who are preparing to sell their boat when the market turns up in the Spring. Good brokers have a network of good connections at marinas and yacht clubs. They often know of situations where an owner needs help in making his boat work financially. Also check local boating publications for boats for sale by owner and offers of boat partnerships.
NewportGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2020, 01:35   #20

Too bad you don't want a sailboat. This guy is trying to unload his old Cailber 33 (thread just started today):

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...-a-241640.html

LittleWing
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2020, 05:26   #21

Renting someone's boat when you don't know squat is not realistic (though Airbnb someone else posted is likely the narrow path). Learning curve is difficult and can be expensive. Getting someone to take that journey with you and effectively underwrite the risk of your ignorance is unlikely. Not just the boat, but worst case scenario are environmental issues that carry hefty fines far in excess of boat value.

Not impossible. I still hold out a dim glimmer of hope I'll marry Jennifer Aniston someday.

Peter
mvweebles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2020, 10:16   #22

Here's a guy with a boat... he's out of the country and wanting to be done with it. 33 foot Caliber. Big enough to live on for a season. Make him an offer.

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...=1#post3261440
StoneCrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2020, 14:41   #23

This man might be the answer to your prayer it's MicHughV check out this post today I'm sure that you might be able to work out something
Old 25-10-2020, 16:24   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tupaia View Post
Yes. I've done overnights several times on AirBnB boats. Looking for something more long term...and the idea you're giving me is to reach out to those owners to see if they'd do a longer-term arrangement.
BucketListBoatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2020, 16:32   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
I'd try want ads in my local area, and nearby marinas (where there are trawler type yachts) and see what happens, but I would not really expect the effort to bear fruit. It might, but it seems a long shot to me. If there is a free trawler magazine you can put a want ad in, that would be another place. You're looking for someone who regards his/her boat not as a beloved possession, but as a bit of property they'd like to get something for. It is a big change for most boat owners, and usually what they want is to sell the darn thing.
Good ideas here. And good context on owner's state of mind. I might be able to find someone looking to sell who might do a renter's trial period. Getting some money in the door has to be better than letting the boat sit waiting for a buyer?
Old 25-10-2020, 16:45   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewportGuy View Post
Powerboat dealers/brokers could be helpful. They know of owners who are preparing to sell their boat when the market turns up in the Spring. Good brokers have a network of good connections at marinas and yacht clubs. They often know of situations where an owner needs help in making his boat work financially. Also check local boating publications for boats for sale by owner and offers of boat partnerships.
This is great advice. I appreciate it!
Old 25-10-2020, 16:54   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvweebles View Post
Not impossible. I still hold out a dim glimmer of hope I'll marry Jennifer Aniston someday.

Peter
Well...word on the street is that she's single. Have at it, Peter!

Thanks for your input. I will say that know a teeny tiny bit more than squat, but I appreciate your candor. And I'm not looking to take the boat out of the slip. So no risk there with proper assurances/guarantees provided to the owner...this is why man made contracts, right? I want to learn what I like and don't like...what I need/want and don't need/want before I buy. I have learned from experience that my "first" purchase of anything is usually not my best purchase. But your input is noted...I just don't give up that easily.

Where there's a will...there's a boat.
Old 29-10-2020, 19:50   #28

Boat: Jeanneau SO409

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
The main thing is, what is the availability and attitudes towards liveaboards in general in the marinas near you? You'll need to do some research in that department.
Or, as a great dockmaster that I met once said...

"We don't have liveaboards in our marina; we just have people that stay on their boats a lot."
Cool Hand Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 06:48   #29

Boat: Bali 4.0

We tried to look for a similar scenario for a while and couldn't seem to find a way to make it happen...
Looking back and with what we know now, I would say just take a leap, find the right boat for what you need and want and buy it.

Another option might be to find a campervan or small RV. Having lived both I can assure you that the lifestyle of both is very very similar and spending time living in a small RV is actually a terrific prep for the systems and solutions that will also be needed on your eventual boat.
theDangerz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
helm