Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-04-2013, 06:47   #1

New Job St. Thomas Liveaboard?

I would like to solicit input on living aboard (38 Foot) boat in St. Thomas. I work for the government and have the opportunity to get a paid move down. This will be my last assignment, retirement in the next few years. Is living aboard a real option? I will have an issued vehicle, so ground transportation will not be an issue. My wife will join me in a year or so. Can you anchor or get a long-term mooring? I think the marina / dock fees would be astronomical. I am open to renting a place if I knew my boat was in a good spot. Suggestions on close hurricane holes for approaching weather. I’m new to this forum so excuse my ignorance. Yes I did a search on this type of thread before I posted, most of the posts are dated. Thank you in advance for you time and input.
TangoHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2013, 09:28   #2

Boat: Nimble Artic 26
Re: New Job St. Thomas Liveaboard?

I can be done. but be ready to high tail it out of there when Hurricanes on the way. You might peruse this:
Hurricane Holes

Here I sit enviously in Texas, good luck.
tbodine88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2013, 10:28   #3

Boat: Westsail 32 and Herreshoff 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbodine88 View Post
I can be done. but be ready to high tail it out of there when Hurricanes on the way. You might peruse this:
Hurricane Holes

Here I sit enviously in Texas, good luck.
Thanks for the link.
endoftheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2013, 10:40   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, TangoHunter.

For information on anchorage and mooring sites, mooring permits, registration and other regulations, contact:
Department of Planning and Natural Resources
Tel: (340)774-3320 or (340)775-6762 St. Thomas/St.John,
(340)772-1955 St. Croix

See also: ➥http://cfr.vlex.com/vid/110-250-thom...malie-19759083

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2013, 22:12   #5
JK7

Govt job? car? wife not coming, sounds very strange,, govt employees omg,, on St Thomas.

Yes, us working people that work for our money are jealous of you spending our money that way

You should explain
JK7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2013, 17:04   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK7 View Post
Govt job? car? wife not coming, sounds very strange,, govt employees omg,, on St Thomas.

Yes, us working people that work for our money are jealous of you spending our money that way

You should explain
JK7 couple of things, St. Thomas is a US Territory, why would you not think that USG employees would be stationed there. I really take offense at the comment that I don't work for my money, and that I'm spending "your" money "that way".

I started my career in the military after 12 years and then sustained a combat injury in Panama December 1989, I was medically retired. I then fought through my injuries, lots of physical therapy and secured employment with an unnamed federal government agency. I have been employed ever since “earning” every dollar I was paid. After years in such wonderful places like the Iraq, Afghanistan, and other unnamed Sh*&holes, I think I’m due some safety and security for a while. I can retire now or wait another year or so before mandatory retirement is an issue. The posting became open, I thought I’d move the boat down and live on it. Then retire and spend the next few years cruising with my wife after she closes her medical practice. I apologize if I somehow thought this forum would be welcoming and informative.

JK7 I owe you nothing, no explanation, no nothing, not even a reply. I don’t even want a thank you for your service. I have spent my life defending freedom, protecting people like you who are non-appreciative, and worst yet think all government employees provide nothing of value. You didn’t even offer an answer or offer assistance to my first and last post. I thought I would find answers. I did my due diligence, researched other posts, found some usable information, but nothing recently dated. I speak plausible Russian and pretty fluid Arabic. My French is good enough to get me a really good table in most Paris restaurants. Trust me JK7 You got your money’s worth and then some. TangoHunter Out!
Old 25-04-2013, 17:15   #7

Boat: Caliber 40LRC
Take it easy Tango. Don't let a single post get under your skin. I am also a fed and have considered transferring to the USVI but we decided too hot for us. I am sure you will be able to work something. Try to secure a good mooring in a well protected harbor. Will you be working in the federal build right in CA?
TKR on a Boat Website
Tim R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2013, 17:18   #8
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

You do have to wonder about a medical retirement and then another "dangerous" government job AND another retirement!

I was walking down the dock the other day with a guy to do an estimate on his boat. While we were walking; he was telling me how he was "100% VA disabled"...........
Old 25-04-2013, 17:29   #9

Thanks for the "grounding" Tim R you know the 6C drill. I just get ticked when I get the double dipping, not working, no nothing comments. I did not ask for the money, but I assure you its deposited and I think uncle sugar each payday. Tim I think it's just jealousy more than anything, 6 figure retirement with great health benefits, popping smoke in your 50's, life is about the choices we make, choose wisely when your young, leave with over a million in TSP. I have a hook on mooring near a USG site in the VI as long as it is just me. Stay safe and Thank you for your service and dedication.
Old 25-04-2013, 18:15   #10
JK7

Thanks for the explanation , there are too few like you,, I see so many that abuse the system, I should have been more careful and asked your situation.

Thanks for your service. Carry on
JK7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2013, 18:29   #11

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot
Have friends living in St Croix and others in Luperon. they all love it. Many others live on the hook . Moorings can be applied for from what i understand, i also was told its illegal to rent a mooring in the usvi but it happens and is no biggie. Check marinas the prices may not be horrible. Your biggest costs may power and water. Lots of blogs from lots of people that cruise their and stay for lo.g periods of time maybe google them a.d shoot them a message! Best wishes
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2013, 18:54   #12

Boat: Freedom Express 39 cat ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by TangoHunter View Post
I would like to solicit input on living aboard (38 Foot) boat in St. Thomas. I work for the government and have the opportunity to get a paid move down. This will be my last assignment, retirement in the next few years. Is living aboard a real option? I will have an issued vehicle, so ground transportation will not be an issue. My wife will join me in a year or so. Can you anchor or get a long-term mooring? I think the marina / dock fees would be astronomical. I am open to renting a place if I knew my boat was in a good spot. Suggestions on close hurricane holes for approaching weather. I’m new to this forum so excuse my ignorance. Yes I did a search on this type of thread before I posted, most of the posts are dated. Thank you in advance for you time and input.
Yes living aboard is a real option. Many, as in hundreds of people, do it. Yes you can anchor. You might be able to find a mooring. I would suggest spending money in quality ground tackle as a better use of funds. Marina fees for your boat will be $600-$1000 per month depending on where you want to be. Many take their boats to Vieques, which is about 40 miles, to seek shelter from major storms. There are other options. If the posts you've searched were mine, I doubt the content has changed much. Your schedule to come down is important. Hurricane season is not a wise time to be sailing around the Caribbean without a plan in place. What time frame are you considering coming down?
Rubikoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2013, 19:39   #13

Boat: no longer on my Cabo Rico 38 Sanderling
Send a message via MSN to John A

St Thomas is an extremely popular US Island for US liveaboards to work. Hundreds anchor /moor on the north and west sides of Water island. The moorings are all private and in 2009 there was word of local government restrictions of new moorings , but I've not heard the outcome of that.

Few use the main Bay of Charlotte Amalie for long term stays as 3 and sometimes 4 Cruise Lines call each day. Everyone is loaded on taxis in the mornings and transported to the T-shirt vendors on main street and then back to their ships for an evening departure (sigh)
John A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2013, 06:30   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by TangoHunter View Post
I just get ticked when I get the double dipping, not working, no nothing comments.
Don't get ticked. That's a waste of energy. Just remember that 99% of the time, comments like that come from petty, jealous people who don't really have a clue what they're talking about and deserve nothing more than to be ignored.

Good luck on your plans. As others have said, it is entirely feasible.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2013, 15:32   #15

Boat: Nimble Artic 26

Yeah, I tried to get a Job in St. Thomas, on my way north, but couldn't so I'm really envious
tbodine88 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
liveaboard