Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-07-2009, 12:49   #1

Boat: Islander 30
New Blog Post! Feedback?

Check it out if you get a chance. Would love some more input from everyone on here. You guys are great and have a lot of info to share. I am mostly just trolling, and asking a few questions here and there, but hopefully I will be able to contribute more as time goes on. Hope everyone has a fun and safe holiday weekend!!

George
GeorgeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 16:33   #2

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34
tongabound,
great site, you are a really good writer. It is a lot of fun to read about two people, working together, to achieve their dreams. It is amazing what two can get done compared to just one, I bet our engineers could get an equation together. I found this forum because of georgesnextlife site, I think I saw it on sailnet, so thanks - I love this site and the great people here.
Godspeed to your dreams,
Erika
Ocean Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 17:04   #3

That is about a nice a compliment as I could receive. Thanks so much, Ocean Girl. Glad you like it. I tinker with it a lot, but there is not a lot you can do with publishing a blog with "blogspot." Good enough for now, I think. I am going to put together a better one when we are out in Tonga, and really jazz it up with pictures and tons of information.

Thanks again. Have a great 4th of July weekend!!
Old 03-07-2009, 17:45   #4

Boat: Skookum 53'
Well written piece. I like that you "get" that there is a compromise when trying to attain some goals, it will make things all the sweeter when you arrive. I encourage you to keep striving, your goal is within reach. You have the right mind set to achieve those goals. All the best on your journey.
Old 03-07-2009, 17:48   #5
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I enjoy your blog as well, George, though I don't read it regularly - which is fair, I guess, in that you don't add to it regularly. I find myself taken in by your quest and your following through in pursuit of it. That is so admirable. You and Jackie have discovered a valuable lesson: You can put up with just about anything if you know it serves a higher purpose, and especially if you know it is for a limited time.

You don't need me to say it, but always keep in mind that the day you finally fly off to your new boat in Tonga does not mean finis can be put to all of the hardships you will have endured to make it happen. Life doesn't work like that. But because you two will have proven to yourselves that you have the drive, determination, intelligence and guts it takes to overcome obstacles and persevere in fulfilling your dreams, you will have excellent adventures as you pursue "George's (and Jackie's) New Life."

TaoJones
Old 04-07-2009, 04:34   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean Girl View Post
... It is amazing what two can get done compared to just one, I bet our engineers could get an equation together...
The phenomenon where the whole is greater than the arithmetic sum of the parts, is sometimes called synergy.

Various square laws (why are they usually “negatively” stated as inverse-square laws?) describe these synergistic relationships mathematically.

If a quantity “a” varies as the square of a quantity “b”, if, when “b” changes, “a” changes by the square of that ratio.
Thus, if “b” changes by a factor of 2, then “a” will change by a factor of 2² = 4.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 06:37   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
... Various square laws (why are they usually “negatively” stated as inverse-square laws?) describe these synergistic relationships mathematically...
Interestingly, there are cases where the square law dramatically understates the synergies of two people working to a common goal.

Take for instance the case where I wish to pick a fruit from a tree, which is just above my reach. I cannot do it unassisted.
The result of my individual efforts will be zero.
However, if I can get a helpmate to sit upon my shoulders, our combine height will allow picking the fruit.
The synergistic result product of our combined efforts is an infinite relationship - a supposedly fallacious proposition. The result of our combined efforts will be some whole number < zero (say 1)

Here's my problem
1 ÷ 0 = ?
I want to say ∞, but I'm told this is not so.
(infinitesimal calculus ?)

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 07:50   #8

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34
Grod May - I knew you could do it

Tongabound, is there a guest book on your site? Also, would love to see more about the boat, I didn't see where I could find specs and such. Once again great site, great adventure.
Erika
Ocean Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 09:55   #9

GordMay - very nice wandering, mathematical journey you just took. You are speaking my language. Got to keep using the old noggin, right?

Ocean Girl - As part of the adventure, I don't have specifics to that particular boat, I just have the info from the website.

J33 Frontpage

I know the boat has solar panels, but I don't know the specifics. I have a fellow living on it right now, sort of keeping everything working until I get there. I will be in touch with him soon to see if he can get me some more specific info on the boat. What kind of adventure would it be if I knew what I was getting into, right? lol

I don't know if there is a guest book option with blogspot. I have the follower option on there. I also have the subscription option.

I know I am not posting too much right now. I need to get back on it. I really enjoy writing, it is just making the time to do it.

Glad you are all enjoying it, and GordMay, keep that stuff coming.

G
Old 04-07-2009, 10:31   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoJones View Post
You don't need me to say it, but always keep in mind that the day you finally fly off to your new boat in Tonga does not mean finis can be put to all of the hardships you will have endured to make it happen. Life doesn't work like that. But because you two will have proven to yourselves that you have the drive, determination, intelligence and guts it takes to overcome obstacles and persevere in fulfilling your dreams, you will have excellent adventures as you pursue "George's (and Jackie's) New Life."

TaoJones
Thanks, TaoJones. Yes, I know it will be more work and sacrifice when we get there. That is the next round of this life alteration I am embarking on.

I suppose my biggest concerns are just boat related things. But the thought of leaving and trying something completely different in a far away land doesn't scare me. I believe I have what it takes to pull this off. Time will tell.

I appreciate you taking the time to give your input. I am trying to take it all in...