Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-06-2020, 16:39   #1

Need ideas for companionway stairs

My husband and I recently retired, sold the house and moved aboard a Tayana 48. We're enjoying many projects and making the boat into a home. The companionway stairs are beautifully finished wood of some kind and I'm concerned about wear and tear. I'd like to put something on them to protect the finish. Anybody have an idea of a material to use and how to stick it on? Thanks!
sailcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 17:05   #2

Re: Need ideas for companionway stairs

Welcome to cf

Typically the companionway ladder is made of durable wood. It should last many years even with constant use. Just as importantly, it should age gracefully. The treads will have to be varnished every year or two.

Tayana is a Taiwanese maker and they tended to use a good deal of teak, which is a hard wearing wood
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 00:43   #3

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

Consider this https://www.google.com/search?channe...d+stair+treads
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 01:29   #4

Boat: Island Packet 40

Mine have strips of a black granular antiskid across them which also appears to protect the varnish between them.
RaymondR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 01:42   #5

Boat: Bruce Roberts Spray, 36' Steel Junk-Rigged Schooner

Mine have grooves routed into them. I filled them with white sikaflex, which is visable in low light. Taping up before I sikaflexed meant that the result was slightly raised, increasing their non-slip properties.
Old 08-06-2020, 02:16   #6

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

IMO, trying to keep high traffic areas like companionway steps pristine is a waste of time and energy. As you become more experienced cruisers, you will likely learn where to exert your energies, and such minor bits of varnish become less important in the great scheme of things aboard. There will be plenty of higher priority items to occupy your time and money.

Just an opinion developed over many years of living aboard and sailing to interesting places!

Jim
Old 08-06-2020, 02:46   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

My experience is different from Jim's. My companionway stair treads have been revarnished once in 18 years and are currently pristine. I used a really good two-component exterior varnish. I don't think it's hard to keep them looking good.

I used gloss varnish and they are very slippery. I probably would mix sand next time. I do have raised stainless anti skid strips in them, which helps.
Old 08-06-2020, 03:17   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

My experience is different from Jim's. My companionway stair treads have been revarnished once in 18 years and are currently pristine. I used a really good two-component exterior varnish. I don't think it's hard to keep them looking good.

I used gloss varnish and they are very slippery. I probably would mix sand next time. I do have raised stainless anti skid strips in them, which helps.
Old 08-06-2020, 12:51   #9

Boat: Gaff rigged Ketch[Spray]37' on deck

Strip's of NON-SKID in Black, not to show the dirt works well, White really shows the dirt.
Dougtiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 13:13   #10

Boat: Cape Dory 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougtiff View Post
Strip's of NON-SKID in Black, not to show the dirt works well, White really shows the dirt.
That’s what I use. 3M Safety Walk self sticking tape. Never slip again....
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 15:05   #11

Boat: Hunter 46

Congratulates on your new sail boat and welcome to the forum!!

We have stairs on our Hunter 46 but have yet to install any protectors. However, we installed rv stair protectors made of indoor/outdoor fabric on the wood stairs of our fifth wheel trailer.
sail sfbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 15:06   #12

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Welcome aboard CF, sailcomp.

I'm Jim Cate's other half. I wanted to let you know that if you want to approach the companionway steps as Dockhead has done, you will need to remove all the existing varnish. Then, you can start over with the two-part clear, and spray it. The thing is that the solvents for the two part will dissolve the underlying old varnish if it has not been completely removed.

Our dining table was originally sprayed with 2 part, and it is still in excellent condition, after 17 yrs.

Ann
Old 08-06-2020, 19:55   #13

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"

We did ours in Interlux Perfection probably 6 years ago. Added clear(ish) 3M non-skid tape to it. It's STILL just about perfect.
Old 09-06-2020, 23:24   #14

Boat: Clipper 60 SII

When you've owned and sailed boats for 60 odd years you get very selective about what you have as beautiful varnished (or any other clear coating) wood.
With the center cockpit and presumably a dodger over the companionway I have always made the stairs a feature. Everybody notices them when entering your new home and they are out of the direct sun most of the time so (relatively) easy to keep beautiful with your favorite clear coating. If it really is old fashioned varnish then Ann's comments above are quite correct; if you have the time do it yourself, do it, but the beauty of steps is that they are easily removed and taken to a local spray shop.
A strip of 3M clear anti-skid on the leading edge is a must if you're planning to sail offshore; yes some anti-skid sand works but it is a shame to do that to what can be a lovely piece of furniture.
I love the Tayana yachts, great compromise between modern design and proven old fashioned sea-keeping qualities. And built to last.
Kiwi. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
companionway