Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-07-2017, 18:49   #1

Need Help From Other Women

I am getting ready to sell my home and move aboard with my honey. I have amassed a number of collections over my 62 years. I need help with two of them. I have a large scrapbooking material collection. Anyone else have similar? How do I downsize it and store it so I can work on completing pages? The next collection I have is a huge Christmas collection. I have over 500 vintage and collectable ornaments. I guess my 1940s train will need to be sold We are moving onto a 47 foot Beneteau. I just need some guidance

drkatherine1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 19:12   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: Need Help From Other Women

I would guess that at some point you will probably move back onshore and want to resume your previous pursuits?

Where and how to store them. Over the years I've lost a number of things stored long term. Pests of various kinds, theft, mold and mildew all take their toll.

Any paper or fabric things would need to be stored somewhere that is climate controlled and very tightly sealed to keep mice, roaches, silver fish and such out. The ornaments if they are glass would probably fare ok in regular storage.

skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 19:16   #3

I am sure that sometime in the next 20 years one or both of us might need to make that move due to health or other reasons. I will really need to look at the best way to store items so they don't fall victim to mold etc.
Old 03-07-2017, 19:22   #4
Jd1

Boat: Catalina 36 MKII

IMHO, vacuum packing is the best way to secure your goodies, Of course they will not be rat proof at that point but you got mold and water and air covered.
Glass bits/ornaments can be vacuum packed with a backfill of inert gas so the bits don't get squashed.
I do not know if there is a commercial type service that does do this for people but it wouldn't surprise me.
Jd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 19:26   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jd1 View Post
IMHO, vacuum packing is the best way to secure your goodies, Of course they will not be rat proof at that point but you got mold and water and air covered.
Glass bits/ornaments can be vacuum packed with a backfill of inert gas so the bits don't get squashed.
I do not know if there is a commercial type service that does do this for people but it wouldn't surprise me.
I am not too worried about the Christmas ornaments.....I don't have any that can be eaten.....all are the old glass ones and newer Christopher Radkos. But I do have seasonal clothes, Pendleton blankets etc that will need careful packing so they are usable in the future.

No one does any scrapbooking as a live aboard?
Old 03-07-2017, 19:37   #6
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

The marine environment would not be kind to any hobby threatened by damage from moisture.

Heavy-duty ziploc style storage bags would be my best idea, you can get them in very large sizes from commercial/industrial sources.

Maybe heat-sealing kits for long term stuff.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 21:27   #7

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Hello drkatherine1,

If you're keeping a pied a terre in SD, vacuum bag everything and store it there. What dies, will die.

I think you'd be well advised to sell the train, unless you still get it out for the grandkids, or some other way of using it. Some collector will be delighted. Ditto the majority of ornaments. If some of them are tiny, consider taking them with you, and boxed in good quality plastic containers.

Think in terms of finding a 1 foot tall Christmas tree, just for the boat, and a few ornaments. Maybe a scented candle or two. Make up a Christmas kit that will fit in a man's shoebox. You'll have to find somewhere for it, and it will want to be in (preferably)one of those you-pump-it-out vacuum bags, re-sealable. The longer you cruise the less you will heed Hallmark holidays, but most still observe Thanksgiving and Christmas, one way or another.

As to the scrapbooking, I really don't know, sorry. Good luck with that. If you're into water colors, that might work. The paper stores flat (under a berth), and the paints are mall enough to be easily stored.
Ann
Old 03-07-2017, 22:26   #8
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

I would vacuum seal everything that isn't prone to damage from being crushed, then put everything into a deep freeze for a week. The cold will kill silverfish and roach eggs that can live thru sealing. It's the same idea as freezing flour to kill the eggs.

Then put everything in heavy plastic lidded boxes packed carefully and then placed in long term air conditioned storage. Buy some heavy duty shelves and stack the boxes on the shelves. Don't stack the boxes on top of each other, over time they can crush from the weight even if they are ok on day one.

To find a cheap storage place try to find one out in the boonies that will give you a long term contract. The more rural they are the cheaper, and the slower they go up in price.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 23:26   #9
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

I just got into a storage unit, met a couple had been paying 17 years they finally decided to dispose of the stuff, said in total they'd paid 10x its value for the privilege of procrastinating.

Of course there are far worst ways to spend money if you have enough, but me I see Stuff as a burden more than anything else.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 01:23   #10

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
I just got into a storage unit, met a couple had been paying 17 years they finally decided to dispose of the stuff, said in total they'd paid 10x its value for the privilege of procrastinating.

Of course there are far worst ways to spend money if you have enough, but me I see Stuff as a burden more than anything else.
Yes, I agree a lot with this point of view, but sometimes there is "stuff" that for whatever reason, one's heart is into. In that case, I do think saving it is okay. My Jim saved a lithograph; I saved a rolling pin (with ball bearings, now on the boat), heirlooms, a special baking pan, and recipes. Katherine's wants are different from mine, but I think she needs to heed her hearts yearning.... Others mileage, as they say, may vary.

Ann
Old 04-07-2017, 08:57   #11

Boat: 1983 Nauticat 43, Hull 16

If you have a Facebook profile, I suggest joining Women Who Sail. (Closed group, women only) It's a fun, and educational group of all ages, and all levels of sailing with women around the world.
dkroar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 09:16   #12

Boat: Freedom 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by drkatherine1 View Post
I am getting ready to sell my home and move aboard with my honey. I have amassed a number of collections over my 62 years. I need help with two of them. I have a large scrapbooking material collection. Anyone else have similar? How do I downsize it and store it so I can work on completing pages? The next collection I have is a huge Christmas collection. I have over 500 vintage and collectable ornaments. I guess my 1940s train will need to be sold We are moving onto a 47 foot Beneteau. I just need some guidance
I sold all my collections. Your moving into a different life style and a boat is really not the place for knick knacks or collections. I know it's hard to let go of those things but try. I did keep three little pieces of my christmas stuff just so I had something for the holiday, but not tree stuff. I sent my most prized tree stuff to my son for his tree.
Old 04-07-2017, 09:26   #13

Boat: Outbound 46

This is hard, but in the end, 1-800-got-junk will (for an exorbitant fee) solve the problem for you. We did this, it hurt for a little while, and then we got over it.
DMCantor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 09:52   #14

Boat: Halmatic Nelson 40

If you are on facebook there is a great group on there that is super supportive and may have suggestions. .. it is "women who sail". Try them out..again, it's a great group.
thebootlegger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 10:37   #15

Boat: L 34

Hi Ann and Jim, You constantly have good down to earth advice on a range of topics, so have much to offer on the cruising lifestyle. Do you have a blog? If so, a link please.

holmek is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
men