Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-10-2014, 22:14   #46

Re: Need advice on San Francisco bay

Live in Vallejo, 36 ft boat =$500 all in. 5 min walk to ferry. 1 hr great ride to ferry bldg in SF

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
sailing fireguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2014, 09:50   #47

I've been doing a lot of investigation over the last 6+ months on where I want to live-aboard in the bay area and I have settled on West Point Harbor in Redwood City. It has excellent weather, it's close to 101 which gives you easy access to SF and SF International Airport without having to pay road tolls as well as giving you quick access to the South Bay. The harbor master is extremely aggressive towards anyone who is not a member that shows up on marina property, this makes it safer than any other marina I have visited in the bay and makes leaving the boat for an extended period of time a safer feeling. It's not maxed out in occupancy and they have very nice facilities(it's a fairly new marina).

The only draw-back is that you're further south of the best sailing in the bay and that adds some time to your weekend sailing excursions.
PirateBooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 13:05   #48

Boat: Schock/Santana 35 and Cal 20

Idylours, traffic is entirely a timing thing. I work in heavy construction and have commuted every direction at some time or another over the last 30 years in the Bay area. If working in SF, I always wanted to be wherever I was going no later than 5:30 am. If you can't get headed out before 2 pm., you won't travel at a steady rate, but every 30 minutes later you leave will cost you an hour. Down South in San Jose is probably the worst commute into and out these days. Again, timing is key. I've been driving in to Cupertino and Los Gatos and make sure I'm there before 6 am. Even if we don't start work until 7 or later, I'll go to a nearby gym. Look into the 24 hour fitness and if you are going to sneakaboard like I do, pay the upgrade to the nicer clubs. The shower and locker rooms are worth it.
kurtjfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 06:59   #49

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailing fireguy View Post
Live in Vallejo, 36 ft boat =$500 all in. 5 min walk to ferry. 1 hr great ride to ferry bldg in SF

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Are you saying that Vallejo Marina is 500 per month and that includes liveaboard fees.
Randyonr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 09:26   #50

Boat: Catalina 30

Im just finalizing the deal with my company and its looking like ill be in the bay for the next 4 yrs. I was down and checked out marina village yacht harbour in alameda or jack London sq any one have some advise on that one. Its close to some yacht clubs and restaurants since I don't do much cooking and come home every 10 days for 4 I wont be a real liveaboard . also the bart is how ill get to and from work ..12 min commute why do people drive. they give me a truck but I might just park it at the site downtown and leave it there. Also they are shipping my boat down so I don't even need to buy another one. May 1st the drinks are on me guys cheers
idylours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 10:01   #51
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Marina Village is probably the nicest marina in the Bay Area. Jack London Square Marina is less user-friendly and parking is definitely a pain. There are good restaurants & bars close by however. ;-)
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 10:32   #52

Boat: catalina 400 MKII

Marina village is my all-time favorite in that area. Lovely area, lots of things to do and very friendly. I would not want to spend to much time in Jack London Square. Very expensive area. Not much else within walking distance.
scotty c-m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 11:04   #53
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by idylours View Post
also the bart is how ill get to and from work .. why do people drive.
You clearly have never spent any time on BART during rush hour.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 13:05   #54

Boat: Solar 40ft Cat :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
Still beats driving in rush hour I'd say. Went to the giants game recently, talk about packed trains..

I would just live in my car in the company parking lot.
Old 08-11-2014, 14:38   #55

Boat: Catalina 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
ive spent time on more systems at rush hour in more parts of the world than we can discuss on here and yes the bart included its still better than sitting in a car for hours
idylours is offline   Reply With Quote