Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-02-2012, 00:48   #46

Boat: Chevrier 36
Re: Navigator Stove Works (marine wood stoves)

I can also vouch for my little Sardine stove - it has been wonderful in the cold, damp climate of Newfoundland.

Installed the stove myself - Woodstove on a sailboat – installation photos | Serendipities Of A Nomad's Life

And i have also written a review of the stove after one yearthat may beof interest to anyone thinking of installing any soldi fuel stove:
Wood stove on a sailboat – comments and suggestions after one year | Serendipities Of A Nomad's Life

Dennison
Old 19-09-2012, 17:12   #47

Boat: 1973 Morgan Out Island 33

Old post but a great job installing and i wish i had a sardine stove.
bjslife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2023, 16:21   #48

Hello all.

Currently own/use a Dickenson Adriatic diesel cook stove/heater. Love it to death.....don't like where the price of diesel is headed (presumably up and never down again). Very interested in a navigator halibut wood cook stove, have a few questions. I've seen some online videos of people with old antique wood burning stoves make a hopper for pellets for one of the plate inserts that comes off the top of the cook stove. Anyone here done that for the Halibut? The newest combi wood/pellet wood burning cook stoves (yes they exist) are waaaay too big&tall for my 44' sailboat and waaay too heavy. Adriatic weighs like 175lbs and some of the newer Combi stoves weigh 500lbs. Lol no thanks. Would really like to have the option to burn both aaaand to have the oven. Even if it's just big enough for a 6L dutch oven.
Molly_Millions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2023, 16:39   #49
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

Have you cooked on a wood stove? Especially baking. They require a lot of wood the right size for controlled temps. The smaller the stove the sooner the small fire needs attention. I have a pellet stove, but have a big boat.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2023, 17:29   #50

I built a woodstove in 2007 for my SV , mostly stainless, with a glass door for "ambiance". Stainless flu, ran it out the Port because I didn't want another hole in the cabin top.
Cost me about $25 for the material at the scrap yard.
It'll burn anything,coal , wood, dog ****, charcoal, garbage, anything.
Plenty of room for wood storage, just fill the tender.
I go ashore to Walk the dogs,bring a burlap bag to gather wood,I cut the wood with a Ryobi saws All I charge onboard with the solar. About one milk crate full of wood will heat the 32'cc for the better part of a day.
I've spent winters aboard frozen solid in ice and no issues.
I'm in upstate NY this winter,. Still burning wood.
I don't generally cook on it, but I often have a coffee pot on it.
When I sail south and don't require it,it unbolts from the bulkhead and stowes away.
Simple,safe, efficient and inexpensive.
And endless free heat.
JoetheCobbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2023, 03:17   #51
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molly_Millions View Post
Hello all.

Currently own/use a Dickenson Adriatic diesel cook stove/heater. Love it to death.....don't like where the price of diesel is headed (presumably up and never down again). Very interested in a navigator halibut wood cook stove, have a few questions. I've seen some online videos of people with old antique wood burning stoves make a hopper for pellets for one of the plate inserts that comes off the top of the cook stove. Anyone here done that for the Halibut? The newest combi wood/pellet wood burning cook stoves (yes they exist) are waaaay too big&tall for my 44' sailboat and waaay too heavy. Adriatic weighs like 175lbs and some of the newer Combi stoves weigh 500lbs. Lol no thanks. Would really like to have the option to burn both aaaand to have the oven. Even if it's just big enough for a 6L dutch oven.
Welcome aboard, Molly.
I called Navigator when I was buying my Sardine, and found him very friendly and helpful. No doubt if you google the company and get contact info, you'll get the best source for all stove information.
That said, I don't know as I'd want to cook on wood, unless I was cruising only in chilly climates where lots of fuel was available. Propane IMO is the best cooking fuel for boats, unless you're going to the Arctic, where it's hard to find. At which point diesel is the best option.
Old 23-02-2023, 09:13   #52

Lepke I've defs cooked on and in a wood stove before cooking in a wood stove you can use a pizza brick to help maintain temperature long as you pay attention to what you're doing and don't crack it. The usual assortment of enameled and non enameled cast iron cookware helps too. I got a fancy dutch oven a while back that's got its own temperature guage in the lid which helps. Getting a infrared thermometer would be useful too and it's on the list.

Benz, I'm down in the west coast of Canada, close to Vancouver Island. There are good deals on pallets of wood bricks/pellets and I have a space on shore where I can store them if need be. I've got a propane range/stove next to the Adriatic. Ive never used the oven; I use if for storage. I use the BBQ in the summer and the thermal cooker on cooler days when I feel like something hot.

Sorry, to be more clear I'm a live aboard. I've been living on my sailboat for about 5 years now. Most of my boat neighbors use wood - because they are economically in the position where they have to. I'm fortunate in that I don't currently need to use wood to heat my boat. I am aware of the pros and cons of wood burning for heat/cooking and the amount of labor involved. I'm also aware that somewhere down the line using diesel might not be a viable option, so Im starting to think ahead about it. Having multiple options for burning material is important. I know you can make inserts for burning pellets in the fire box. I'm curious if anyone here has made a gravity feed hopper for their wood stove similar to the attached photo.

I'll talk to navigator about it. It *seems* that you could probably use one of the removable top plates on the Halibut for the hopper and have the feed feeding the fire for 4/8hrs depending.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	23g43rtrf-min.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	271914  
Molly_Millions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2023, 13:34   #53

I use a wood stove…. when you differentiate online, you must insert the word “cook” stove, or you get general woodstoves for heating.

*I have both, and just saying, I used 3 cords of wood this winter to (help) heat the farmhouse.

—-> that’s a lot of wood.

*I do like the idea of burning trash.

Learn what a creosote chimney fire looks like/ be careful!!!
Papasail is offline   Reply With Quote