Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-06-2011, 17:11   #1

Boat: Alden 44
National Harbor

Hello all,

Does anyone know whether National Harbor on the Potomac allows liveaboards? Is there anyone on this forum who actually lives there or has lived there and can offer thoughts?

Many thanks,

Shirish Date
s/y Juno
svdate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2011, 10:09   #2

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious
Re: National Harbor

National Harbor does allow liveaboards. I delivered a boat there last year for a gentleman who lives aboard with his daughter and a dog.

We struck up a friendship and have kept in touch. I was back to visit last week. They're very happy there.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2011, 12:30   #3

Boat: Beneteau 43

Hello Shirish Date,

I'm the guy with daughter and dog living aboard at the National Harbor to whom Auspiscious is referring above. And, I hate to ever contradict Dave (by the by, anyone looking for a delivery captain should look no further than Dave's services--he is awesome!), but apparently I was the last liveaboard accepted by the National Harbor, and they're phasing them out as contracts expire in the future.

Now, having said that, how you define "liveaboard" makes all the difference. The National Harbor is not a marina in the traditional sense--no club-house, no marina services of any kind (the closest services are a 10 mile sail down the Potomac), limited amenities. During the winter, water and pump-out are subject to freezing, and therefore unavailable.

My plan is to sub-let somewhere nearby for the worst of the winter and remain at the Harbor otherwise. The place is great (expensive, but it is a resort), and the dock personnel are excellent and helpful to the marina's capacity. My 6 yr old daughter and I sail often, so we motor south for an hour or so to get to a wide enough bend in the river to get consistently under sail. Up at the National Harbor, the river is approximately 2 ft deep, so you must stay within the channel or risk running aground.

Feel free to drop by. We're at C Dock. (We're the ones with the 90 pound German Shepherd....)
eisselhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2011, 12:57   #4

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

Hi Eric!

Thanks for the update. Filed. Too bad.

For the winter, you might consider Capital Yacht Club or Gangplank Marina. Neither is beautiful and the neighborhood isn't wonderful but they both always have openings for winter. I spent one winter at Gangplank Marina and was pleased with the experience -- I spent time at DC sights, restaurants, and shops I wouldn't otherwise take the time to visit. Gangplank has winter water and dockside pump-out.

If that doesn't appeal and you can manage three(ish) months of longer commutes consider Annapolis City Dock. Again, winter water and dockside pump-out (albeit from a truck contracted to visit at some cost), access to historic Annapolis outside the tourist season, some of the coolest Christmas and New Years events (Santa comes to City Dock by tow boat), and a nice community on the dock. Now is the time to get on their wait list. POC is Linda in the Annapolis Harbormaster's office - tell her I referred you. Parking is ... interesting. If you go there I'll fill you in - I spent a winter there also. *grin*

BMC in Baltimore has winter liveaboard facilities. Never wintered there but have friends who did - I can put you in touch.

I'm sure there are other good places, but I only know what I know about.

An Electroscan and a couple 5 gallon jugs will do nearly anywhere. Done that too.

Let me know if you want to bounce ideas around.

P.S. Niece Jessy, also 6, just started Opti-Tots yesterday. So far so good. If I can get her to the point of steering into the wind while Janet pulls the anchor and puts the sails up I can sleep later in the morning. *grin*
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 16:56   #5

Boat: Alden 44

Thanks, everyone. Much appreciated. We hope to come visit mid month to take a look.
svdate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2013, 12:09   #6

Boat: Hunter 356

Quote:
Originally Posted by eisselhardt View Post
Hello Shirish Date,

I'm the guy with daughter and dog living aboard at the National Harbor to whom Auspiscious is referring above. And, I hate to ever contradict Dave (by the by, anyone looking for a delivery captain should look no further than Dave's services--he is awesome!), but apparently I was the last liveaboard accepted by the National Harbor, and they're phasing them out as contracts expire in the future.

Now, having said that, how you define "liveaboard" makes all the difference. The National Harbor is not a marina in the traditional sense--no club-house, no marina services of any kind (the closest services are a 10 mile sail down the Potomac), limited amenities. During the winter, water and pump-out are subject to freezing, and therefore unavailable.

My plan is to sub-let somewhere nearby for the worst of the winter and remain at the Harbor otherwise. The place is great (expensive, but it is a resort), and the dock personnel are excellent and helpful to the marina's capacity. My 6 yr old daughter and I sail often, so we motor south for an hour or so to get to a wide enough bend in the river to get consistently under sail. Up at the National Harbor, the river is approximately 2 ft deep, so you must stay within the channel or risk running aground.

Feel free to drop by. We're at C Dock. (We're the ones with the 90 pound German Shepherd....)

I was wondering if you could give us an update on the Marina and your experience there. I just spoke to the Marina and they still allow liveaboards but currently have no room. Thank You!
FightinGravity is offline   Reply With Quote