Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-08-2020, 22:05   #1

Must have, wants, maybe, noway, whoops

So I just put money down on my first boat, an '83 Endeavour 33. The plan is to really get comfortable sailing around Lake Michigan (Chicago, USA) until I retire in a few years then take off for the Atlantic. Follow the sun and avoid hurricanes. I expect to do longer and longer stints (I have lots of vacation time) to learn the lifestyle.

While I'm still employed I can afford to add the stuff I'll need/want.

The boat already has an autohelm, but I might add a windvane auto helm to conserve power, less reliant on electronics and also for backup.

I also built a DIY chart plotter (with AIS receiver) that seems to work in my livingroom. (total cost was about $300)

For those of you who have been cruising for a while, what are you must haves, would like to have, maybe if I hit the jackpot, I don't want and those things you added but never use?
DeeBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2020, 01:39   #2

Boat: 29 ft
Re: Must have, wants, maybe, noway, whoops

Roller reefing headsail is high on the list. Mainsail reefing from the Cockpit is also nice. Having the fuel tanks cleaned, healthy through hull fittings. Age of ständing rigging, shaft seal,.......... There is a lot to check on an older boat.
Hesti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2020, 04:29   #3
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Some of the best advise is NOT to make any important changes until you have lived with her for a year, and certainly not before the end of this season. It takes even experienced cruisers time to understand what a new boat "needs" to function smoothly, without extra crap in the way. Existing systems may be better than you think, once you understand them better.

Take your time. Think minimal. Then after a year, take broad strokes , as you see them. By then you will be right.
Old 13-08-2020, 05:23   #4
S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeBee View Post

The boat already has an autohelm, but I might add a windvane auto helm to conserve power, less reliant on electronics and also for backup.
you will be better off ensuring you AP is up to the task and that you have the power to run it (most of the time it doesn't take that much really)

Far as other upgrades and "stuff" my advise is to not jump the gun getting things. The next couple of years before you retire with result in you getting basics all worked out. For other stuff I feel it is better to head out without toys and see if you miss them to the point that you really want them.
Old 13-08-2020, 05:50   #5

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Like the others have said, don’t rush this.

Less is more.

But good solar is sure nice to have in sunny climates.
Old 13-08-2020, 07:20   #6

Boat: 2003 Beneteau 423

I agree with the wait & see. Getting your diesel serviced and having the injectors tested and serviced is a good start. Get an idea of your power usage off the dock and your battery bank sizing is a learning process. Understand your priorities - simplicity, easy to service, low cost vs. modern systems, need for contractors to work on systems, higher cost? Your priorities will change when you start cruising. A freezer or ice maker drives up the sizing of your electrical system, so life is a lot simpler if you can live without ice. 33-feet is good for a single person, or a couple that wants to simply.

Cheers, RickG
RickG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2020, 08:04   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeBee View Post
..........my first boat.

The plan is to really get comfortable sailing

what are you must haves, would like to have?
I would spend my time and money making sure what you have is in good, working order. I would focus on hoses, through hulls, running and standing riging, sails, motor and the existing systems on the boat. You could spend the next year just getting the boat you bought to the condition you thought you bought it in.

Stuff always needs to be repaired, replaced.

After a few years, if this is still the boat you want to drop lines and sail off in, then consider toys, gadgets and features.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2020, 08:10   #8

Boat: Nordic 44

Just looked at the listing on Yachtworld. I hope you have a contingency for a marine survey in your sales contract. Especially if this is your first boat get it surveyed before you close the deal.
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2020, 08:11   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
Some of the best advise is NOT to make any important changes until you have lived with her for a year, and certainly not before the end of this season. It takes even experienced cruisers time to understand what a new boat "needs" to function smoothly, without extra crap in the way. Existing systems may be better than you think, once you understand them better.

Take your time. Think minimal. Then after a year, take broad strokes , as you see them. By then you will be right.
T H I S ^^^

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2020, 08:13   #10

Boat: 1992 lagoon 42 tpi

For the first year must haves is wind. Would be nice.... not too much wind and not too little wind.
Learn the boat. Every time out learn something new. Push yourself and the boat a little more. Things will break, you will wish you had different things, and some things you won't use.
After the first year, then go over that list and fix and upgrade then. For now just go sailing
chris mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2020, 08:14   #11

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)

Spare parts for the head, filters etc for the engine and checking and cleaning the tanks maybe adding a fuel polishing system before going to fillups down south in questionable locations, diving or snorkling gear and some training to use them, a sturdy sewing machine with all possible needles and sh**, hammock, dorade vents if you don't have them, check and service all through hulls and replace if needed with HQ bronze...
TeddyDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2020, 09:11   #12

Boat: Pearson 367 cutter, 36'

I second and third what others have said about take your time and learn the boat. Spend some time on the boat during hard rain to see where the leaks are. Consider a composting toilet (with extra urine bottle) if you want to simplify a bit. Sail as much as you can.
AJ_n_Audrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2020, 09:20   #13

Boat: Island Packet, Packet Cat 35

You have an autohelm. Is that an electric AP or a Windvane? Just curious.

Have the boat surveyed, fix anything that is critical and forget the the rest. Sail the heck out of it for a couple of years and make friends and go on their boats too. Learn what you like and why, what you want and don't and THEN make the decision is this the boat to sink a lot of money into. You may have changed your mind by then. Happens a lot.
Cpt Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2020, 09:29   #14

Boat: Tom Colvin Gazelle 42ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
you will be better off ensuring you AP is up to the task and that you have the power to run it (most of the time it doesn't take that much really)

Far as other upgrades and "stuff" my advise is to not jump the gun getting things. The next couple of years before you retire with result in you getting basics all worked out. For other stuff I feel it is better to head out without toys and see if you miss them to the point that you really want them.
I agree with Sailerboy and others. Wait and learn. Who knows you might even realise you want a different boat in a few year's time 😊.

Interesting how there is almost universal agreement on going slow.

Good luck

Jim sv GAIA
Gaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2020, 10:05   #15

Boat: Pearson 34-2

We are in a similar situation. We bought a Pearson 34-2 with plans to go in about 2-3 more years after sailing a Tartan 27-2. The Tartan taught us a great deal in the 9 years we sailed here. The first year was and still is covering basics and going sailing. We rebuilt the head, replaced running rigging, added anchor sprit, and much more, all things to make things work, or work better. We would like refridgeration, but that entails bigger battery bank(s), solar, maybe larger alternator and battery charger. So I will add to the group saying go sailing first. When you think you want to add stuff, look at the ramifications on the rest of the boats systems when you do.
fred4936 is offline   Reply With Quote