Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-04-2015, 08:35   #16

Boat: CLC Skerry
Re: Most Homey feeling 26' to 28' Monohull Sailboats

I like the Bayfield 29, but for sheer roominess and livability, check out the Nonesuch 26. If you can go to 30 ft, the Nonesuch 30 is even better. Both are good sailers, but probably will not keep up with a well-sailed cruiser-racer (with less interior room). But if easy sailing and great livability are your criteria, the Nonesuch might be it.
rhubstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2015, 08:55   #17

Boat: Grampian Discovery

My Albin Vega (27') fits me . Of Course, I'm only 5'5"
Love the samll cozy interiour.
If I had the money, I woul love a NorSea or a BCC
racinejf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2015, 09:10   #18

Boat: Cape Dory 33

We just loved our little Cape Dory 28. If you're talking about just that "boy, I could snuggle in here and be right at home" feeling, she had it. And she was capable as well.

Old 13-04-2015, 09:12   #19

I gues it depends on "homey", but assuming that means it doesn't feel like you are sitting a plastic shell: Westsail 28, Bristol Channel Cutter, or any other that has some "Real Furniture" in it.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2015, 09:16   #20

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

26'-28' doesn't make for much of a live-aboard.

I'd bump it up to over 30', like a Cape George 31.

Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2015, 09:23   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
I gues it depends on "homey", but assuming that means it doesn't feel like you are sitting a plastic shell: Westsail 28, Bristol Channel Cutter, or any other that has some "Real Furniture" in it.
Yes, thats definitly a big part of "homey" for me. I do have expensive taste that I currently cant back up. The Baba 30' and Tashing Panda 35' are the dream boats, but I would need a bigger bankroll and an Admiral as well to sail those boats (I hear the admirals are the ones that really put a strain on the cruising kitty, sorry ladies I am just teasing).

Thanks again for all the replys, I am going to do some serious research into all the boats mentioned.
Eoghan_Roe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2015, 09:29   #22

Boat: Monk 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Brown View Post
Check out an Ericson 28. Cruised one for a year in Keys and Bahamas. Roomy inside and decent storage. Some would consider this a coastal cruiser, but they're capable. Also check out older Carl Alberg designs if you want full keel tracking stability.
I'm glad someone mentioned it - I felt I was too biased. I no longer sail it (got a cat) and will be placing the 1989 Ericson 28 on the market within a few weeks. Someone is going to get a nice deal on a nice boat.
dpddj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2015, 09:31   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhubstuff View Post
I like the Bayfield 29, but for sheer roominess and livability, check out the Nonesuch 26. If you can go to 30 ft, the Nonesuch 30 is even better. Both are good sailers, but probably will not keep up with a well-sailed cruiser-racer (with less interior room). But if easy sailing and great livability are your criteria, the Nonesuch might be it.
The Nonesuch is one I have been thinking about. Watched some youtube videos about that one and it looks easy to handle and comfortable.

Definitly not looking for a racer, my travel philosophy goes completely counter to a fast boat style. If I wanted to get somewhere quickly I would buy a plane ticket, the reason I want to sail is to have plenty of time with my thoughts and plenty of time to experience the journey.
Old 13-04-2015, 09:45   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra Nova View Post
26'-28' doesn't make for much of a live-aboard.

I'd bump it up to over 30', like a Cape George 31.

Very nice looking boat, that will go on my list of second boats if I find the smaller ones too limiting. Right now I am looking for the "go small, go now" boat. Something I can concievably save up for and buy within' a year.
Old 13-04-2015, 09:45   #25
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: V45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eoghan_Roe View Post
I know this is highly subjective, and a matter of personal taste. However I have yet to see a list of Sailboats based on this criteria.

From my research many of the smaller Sailboats are decidedly spartan or functional. Which is great for just sailing, but not so much if you want to make the sailboat your permanent home in addition to sailing.

So the question is; which small sailboats feel the most like a home. Bonus points if they can go beyond coastal cruising, and dont cost the GDP of a small country.
Have a look at the Nonsuch range. Very easy to liveaboard and be comfortable. The heads actually work for a normal size person as well. Even the galley is great.
Bulawayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2015, 09:45   #26

Boat: Formerly Pearson 28-1, now just a sailing dinghy

That Swanson 28 has a great interior layout. Dinette double with tons of counter space; it would be high on my list.
For what it's worth, 28' gets very dirty very fast, even with one person. While wood is nice, having the fiberglass floor I can spray, soap, and scrub has been fantastic as I have made a bit of a mess doing engine work, cooking, eating, and otherwise just living in 28'.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
brownoarsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2015, 10:09   #27

Boat: Schucker mini-trawler
Send a message via AIM to janice142 Send a message via MSN to janice142 Send a message via Yahoo to janice142 Send a message via Skype™ to janice142

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eoghan_Roe View Post
Very nice looking boat, that will go on my list of second boats if I find the smaller ones too limiting. Right now I am
looking for the "go small, go now" boat. Something I can concievably save up for and buy within' a year.
Like you I did the go small, go now route to boat shopping. This is my working file page and is the largest "Under 30'er" list on the internet as I understand it. Yes, I still make additions. Send pictures!

Page: Janice142 The Boat List

If a boat interests you Eoghan Roe, click the folder for more pictures, data, etc. It's not at all fancy now. I've also got some European boats listed too.

As for "cosy" and "comfy" know that light is often the key to happiness. ANY boat you chose can be made better. Mine's improved (so I'd like to think) and she's definitely more comfortable than at purchase. Yours will too -- you'll find things that "could be better" and change them.

Bones count so remember "Boats are sold by the pound" just like cars.

Anyway, have fun boat shopping. All the best to you on your quest.
Happy boating. And Good Luck!
Old 13-04-2015, 11:07   #28

Boat: Herreshoff 28 modified ketch- wood

Columbia 28 or 29 MarkII. Headroom to 6'. Cutaway (3/4) keel. Very sea kindly with heavy ballast 4'6" draft and 8' beam. Pretty thick lay up. My 1966 is still original floor plan with fore and aft facing dinette table on the port side of the salon and galley sink, stove, icebox on the starboard. Kind of diner/booth like and homey. Seen some modified that moved galley to one of the quarter berths and changed new space to beam facing seating.
bailsout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2015, 13:57   #29

Boat: 1979 O'Day 28

As many have noted, "homey" may mean different things. My own choice was a O'Day 28, it's 6ft of headroom and with a 10'3" beam there's lots of living room. You give up the more sea slicing narrow beam but if coastal cruising is the goal this boat is wonderful for single handling and live aboard convenience. I also liked it because it's a keel stepped mast, smaller cockpit and full bridge deck.
For the roominess factor I have noticed the Nonesuch. Pricier I believe. Good luck.
billdre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2015, 14:33   #30

Boat: Scout 30

I'd have to agree with the Nonsuch. Well made, classic good looks & the biggest 26 footer around. The BC Cutter is my dream boat but it's way more money. I'd also recommend Island Packet, Pacific Sea Craft & Morris for quality.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hull, monohull, sail, sailboat