Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-12-2014, 13:03   #16

Boat: Meridian 40' Sedan
Re: Most Affordable East Coast US marinas in VA., MD., or NC?

Left my Mainship at the New Bern Grand Marina in New Bern, NC which is 24 miles off the ICW up in the Nuise River after spending the warmer months cruising VA and the Chesapeake. The marina is right in the downtown area only feet away from the docks and plenty of live aboards to help keep a look out while I'm away. Also the staff walks all the dock lots! Another plus for me was being so close to places to get work done, or parts and haul out is right across the river.

I've got almost 25,000 miles of cruising the US both inland and out so take it for what you think it is worth.
lsearite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2014, 16:15   #17

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsearite View Post
Left my Mainship at the New Bern Grand Marina in New Bern, NC which is 24 miles off the ICW up in the Nuise River............
That is a nice marina and a nice town to spend some time in.
Old 20-12-2014, 16:55   #18

Boat: Valiant 40

Advocate,

You *can* keep your boat in the water in the northern Chesapeake...just winterize the systems if you're not going to be on it. It's easier to have someone look after it if it's at a marina, however, and you have access to (usually) to power, chandleries, etc. and they may supply blubblers or at the very least you can plug one in. Private docks are great, but you usually don't have power or water and no one to look after it. YMMV depending on what you find. If you don't want to go the private route and if price is your primary concern you should have the boat hauled. Deltaville has a bunch of lower priced slips, as well as Urbanna on up the river from Deltaville, and lots people keep their boat in the water year round.

If you buy the boat in Q1 you might think about just throwing it up on the hard and working on it till the weather gets warmer. It will need work and it will help prevent "damn, why didn't I do that when she was hauled?"

All that said, covering your boat, whether wrapped or with a custom cover, is a great idea any place where there is snow and ice, which gelcoat and brightwork are not very fond of. I think you need to get to Oriental NC territory if you want no snow/ice and don't have to worry about freezing.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2014, 16:59   #19

Temperatures (air and water) are not solely dependent on latitude. Ocean currents and micro climates have a lot to do with it. Sometimes fifty miles one way or the other can make a big difference. If avoiding freezing temperatures is important, this information is available on the Internet.
Old 21-12-2014, 04:22   #20

Boat: Tartan30

The New Bern NC area has several nice marinas doe $6.50 a foot. Oriental has many good places, there are even cheaper places on the Broad River and the Pungo River. It all depends on your draft, and other needs. In Oriental the prices at the Marinas that are outside the bridge are higher than the prices at the docks inside the bridge where is is a little less water. Of course my boat has a 5 foot keel, and is one foot to tall to clear the bridge. I probably do all the tilting things, and clear the bridge, but it is too much bother for me, and who needs a scary moment going in and out every time?
Go on Active Captain, and you can research every Marina on the whole east coast.
Also I have lived Rochester NY on Lake Ontario and spent time in Chicago and Detroit. Lots of folks keep their boats in the water where the rivers and bays freeZe. They usually use a bubble system that prevents the ice from forming right around the boat.
I have also seen local Watermen on the Chesapeake that had what is called the "Chesapeake Smile" on the bow of their boats near the waterline. Because they are working boats sometimes they must move around in places where there is just a light ice skin on the water. This scratches the paint a little and is usually stained a little darker than the rest..not that I want that or recommend it, but it does remind me that Mariners have been dealing with the elements since the beginning.
scottydaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2014, 05:50   #21

Unless it is a heck of a deal, I wouldn't buy a boat and put it 6hrs drive away. Any savings are likely to be eaten up by maintenance and slip fees. At the same time a few years with little or no use will do more harm than regualar use. Now if you are planning to start cruising full time by next fall, that's a different story.

Second option would be storage on the hard (winterized) nearby. It's the most foolproof and you can work on her in your spare time.

Third option would be in water but nearby so you can keep an eye on her. Winterize her even if the water isn't frozen. While the water will help, a deep freeze could get to parts of the water system and then you could have a sunk boat.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2014, 14:27   #22

Boat: FP, Eleuthera 60

Anchorage marina in Baltimore is safe, well managed, well priced and walking distance to all conveniences.
MIRELOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2014, 15:42   #23

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIRELOS View Post
Anchorage marina in Baltimore is safe, well managed, well priced and walking distance to all conveniences.
Overall agree about the Anchorage though wish the parking situation were better. Often you can do better than the rental rate offered by the front office by finding a rental through a private slip owner. Since it is a co-op, a lot of people who own their slips outright are looking to do little more than recoup their yearly association fees so there can be some amazing deals.

If the OP just wants a rock bottom priced no-frills place, it's probably hard to find prices lower than Old Bay Marina and Youngs Boat Yard on Jones Creek. It would be hard to live aboard at either of these places without a car, however while at Anchorage it would be manageable.
4arch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2014, 15:04   #24

Boat: Moody 34
Thanks for all the great responses - you are giving me a lot of great information which I can follow up on-
advocate777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2014, 22:08   #25

Boat: Island Packet 27

If convenience and safe dockage, along with location in a town are something you desire, check into Cambridge Md city marina. Rates are incredibly cheap and the folks at the yacht club and in town are very friendly. Look on google maps to get an idea of the size and location.
Sailonliberty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2014, 04:54   #26

Boat: Pearson 424

I just met a guy the other day at a marina in downtown Charleston, SC that bought a slip and the boat that was in it. The slip was listed for $60,000, he paid $20,000 for it! The Boat: 30 foot Catalina for $8,500.
If you have time to look around you might find something like this. Really more of a real estate investment.
Spindrift NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2014, 08:14   #27

Boat: Oyster 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailonliberty View Post
If convenience and safe dockage, along with location in a town are something you desire, check into Cambridge Md city marina. Rates are incredibly cheap and the folks at the yacht club and in town are very friendly. Look on google maps to get an idea of the size and location.
Looks nice.

Cambridge is, as the locals put it, "on the shithouse side of the bay." I cruised that area in my Cape Dory 33 years ago and thought it to be one of the nicest cruising grounds on the east coast, especially in the fall.

Dhillen
Old 26-12-2014, 10:00   #28

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhillen View Post
Looks nice.

Cambridge is, as the locals put it, "on the shithouse side of the bay." I cruised that area in my Cape Dory 33 years ago and thought it to be one of the nicest cruising grounds on the east coast, especially in the fall.

Dhillen
Yep, and it's near the setting for James Michener's Book Chesapeake.
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2014, 10:31   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spindrift NH View Post
I just met a guy the other day at a marina in downtown Charleston, SC that bought a slip and the boat that was in it. The slip was listed for $60,000, he paid $20,000 for it! The Boat: 30 foot Catalina for $8,500.
If you have time to look around you might find something like this. Really more of a real estate investment.
It wasn't much of a real estate investment for the person who bought it in the first place.

Boat slips haven't proven to be a good investment around here. If they sell at all they sell for less than the original price. In the meantime you have to pay association or condo fees to cover salaries and maintenance. And taxes.
Old 26-12-2014, 13:45   #30

Boat: Pearson 424

Apparently the guy who owned it passed away and his mother was just happy to get rid of the slip and the boat.
Spindrift NH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
east coast, marinas