Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-06-2017, 22:00   #1

Boat: Jeanneau Trinidad 48
Morco D61B LPG water heater flue skin fitting

Hi
I'd like to fit a Morco D61B water heater. There are a few different flue fittings available, I wondered what people have done in terms of the skin fitting. I would expect to have some kind of removable cap when out at sea.
Many thanks for any ideas or examples.
mtompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2017, 22:48   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Re: Morco D61B LPG water heater flue skin fitting

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtompson View Post
Hi
I'd like to fit a Morco D61B water heater. There are a few different flue fittings available, I wondered what people have done in terms of the skin fitting. I would expect to have some kind of removable cap when out at sea.
Many thanks for any ideas or examples.
i just fitted one on my cat,i ordered the "marine"flue the company supply assuming it was stainless.

when the boiler and flue arrived i found that the flue was made from quite flimsy aluminium,not suitable for marine use externally.

fortunatly i had a spare 90mm Kabola flue and deck fitting in stainless from another stove that i was able to fit instead.

i used the adapter and the 80mm and 90mm aluminium tubes supplied with the flue kit for inside the boat.

i have made up spray caps out of stainless tube and plate that fit over the deck collar for use at sea.

https://www.kurandamarine.co.uk/kabola-heating can supply 90mm marine flue fittings in the uk,not cheap but good quality
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2017, 01:32   #3

your a star atoll, many thanks for the info
Old 28-06-2017, 04:29   #4

was it one of the ones on this page? https://www.kurandamarine.co.uk/glem...0mm-flue-parts

thanks
Old 29-06-2017, 01:43   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtompson View Post
was it one of the ones on this page? https://www.kurandamarine.co.uk/glem...0mm-flue-parts

thanks
yes that is the one,i have the cylindrical flue termination which seems to work well and less bulky than the T type.

another thing that you might want to consider is the morco d61b boiler itself,which although is a good quality boiler,and works well at low water flow and low pressure ,it does require the pilot light to be lit all the time whilst in standby mode,ie normal use,this uses a fair amount of gas over a 24hr period,and a bit of a hassel if you have to relight it every time you want hot water because you have turned off the gas for safety and economy.

we also looked at a bosch unit that was about £189 that also worked with low water pressure and low flow,the only difference was it had a battery operated "on demand" pilot light igniter, so avoids having the pilot light running continuiously,making it more economical,and avoids having a lit flame all the time.

the thing that swayed us in favor of the morco was it came with the "marine flue"assembly,which proved to be useless on a boat due to its flimsy construction in aluminium and no real baffle protection from rain entering the flue in windy conditions.

on hind sight i would have bought the more expensive bosch unit,had i know that i was going to have to fit the kabola/gleamering flue assembly .

sorry i have lost the link to the bosch unit but if you google camping /marine instant water heaters you should be able to find the unit~11KW, low flow/low water pressure
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2017, 04:44   #6

Thanks attol, great advice / info, I'll head off and do some more research.
many thanks

Tags
water