Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-04-2013, 06:38   #1

Boat: Ericson 41
Mooring fees in the Canary Island

I would like to stay some time in the Canary Island on a low budget, and wonder where I can moor for free, or close to it. I am not talking about docking fees, but just a place to drop the anchor in a sheltered bay. Not so easy to find around the Canary Island maybe?
From the map, Arrecife in Lanzarote might be a candidate?
If anyone got some suggestien for good places, it will be nice to know.
sveinutne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2013, 09:34   #2

Boat: Vd Stadt 34
Did you check the atlantic islands cruising guide from imray? A lot of anchorages in the cannaries are documented in this book.
Since 2010 now and then reports are posted that the goverment is getting more strict about anchoring and even forces yachts to use marinas. ( latest report was about the capital of tenerife, santa cruz)
I will be there later this year and hope to anchor as much as possible.
Bregts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2013, 12:16   #3
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter
Re: Mooring fees in the Canary Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by sveinutne View Post
I would like to stay some time in the Canary Island on a low budget, and wonder where I can moor for free, or close to it. I am not talking about docking fees, but just a place to drop the anchor in a sheltered bay. Not so easy to find around the Canary Island maybe?
From the map, Arrecife in Lanzarote might be a candidate?
If anyone got some suggestien for good places, it will be nice to know.
Been a few years but Arrecife would be a good option to check out, some boats had been there for a while when I was there. Good local fishing boat chandlers as well to keep at the to do list at more realistic prices. (edit - also good copy shop there if you're thinking about west africa or south america and need some charts)
Otherwise Las Palmas on Gran Canaria had a fair few long termers, the Arc takes over the marina and kicks everyone out so gets busy then. Good for boat bits.
Arguineguin is another option on the SE of Gran Canaria, not so popular but good enough anchorage to hole up for a while, nearby fishermans cofradia for excellent cheap meals
Some nice options in La Gomera, Valle Gran Rey and a few more isolated options but a bit more weather dependant.
Enjoy down there, it's a great place.
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2013, 22:57   #4

Thank you Bregts and Conachair for your answers,
I will see if I can find the imray atlantic islands cruising guide if I can find it online somewhere.
From Google Earth (my favorite map) I am looking at the suggested places. Arguineguin looks to nice, with some boats mooring just outside the marina, in sheltered water. Is this free if you use your own anchor, or is it still some fee to pay?
Regards
Svein
Old 19-04-2013, 23:39   #5

Did some spotting with Google Earth and found three candidates on Fuerteventura. Corralejo and Puerte del Rosario looks OK, and I can see many boat mooring there, but Morro Jable should be a sheltered place, but I could not see any boat mooring there, I do not know the reason, but now I got close to a dozen good places around the Canary Island, and I am sure I will find more when I go there and start talking with other sailors there.
Svein
Old 20-04-2013, 00:36   #6
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sveinutne View Post
Thank you Bregts and Conachair for your answers,
I will see if I can find the imray atlantic islands cruising guide if I can find it online somewhere.
From Google Earth (my favorite map) I am looking at the suggested places. Arguineguin looks to nice, with some boats mooring just outside the marina, in sheltered water. Is this free if you use your own anchor, or is it still some fee to pay?
Regards
Svein
Arguineguin is (was and probably still is) free.

Good overview of marinas here..
Marinas in the Canary Islands

Isla Graciosa seems to get good reports.
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2013, 01:45   #7

Thumbs up Re: Mooring fees in the Canary Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by conachair View Post
Arguineguin is (was and probably still is) free.

Good overview of marinas here..
Marinas in the Canary Islands

Isla Graciosa seems to get good reports.
Thank you.
This was a very good website with a lot of good information. Just what I was looking for.
Old 20-04-2013, 04:17   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

See also ➥ Canary Islands — Noonsite

“... There are restrictions on anchoring in the Canaries and in many places authorisation is required. If you anchor without permission, you may well be moved on by the Guardia Civil. Wherever possible, seek permission from the port authority first ...”

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2013, 05:27   #9

Location: Cayuga Lake NY - or on the boat somewhere south of there
Boat: Caliber 40

I was in Santa Cruz in January - We didnt see any sailboats anchored out in the harbor for any length of time. Dont know if that was because they werent allowed but it seemed everyone was in the marina.
sck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2013, 11:20   #10
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
I'd suggest las palmas. A lot of the smaller place are not safe in any weather and you do get big winds from time to time. All right for a couple of days and you remaining vigilant

I've also not seen any anchoring in Santa Cruz and I can't think or where you could go

You can try the the little fishing port of Santiago on Gomera , sometimes there is space there. You can often stay on the wall for a while as well.

In the bays the water can be deep. So sometimes you will have problems

Dave
Old 20-04-2013, 13:16   #11

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

Most cruisers need to kill a few months between escaping the autumnal gales in the North Atlantic and the time to start across. I would not recommend simply anchoring in one place for most of the time - there are many anchorages in the Canaries, with lots of interesting places to see. Admittedly there are few if any all-weather anchorages, but as long as you are staying aboard and keep a weather eye you will find suitable places. That said, to see many of the islands you will have to go into marinas. It has been 4 years since I was there, so I am not remembering the costs - and things do change - but I don't remember the fees to be too high. As commented above, Las Palmas marina in the month or two prior to the ARC leaving is simply not an option for NARCs (Non-ARCs). There is (or at least was) an anchorage off the marina, inside the harbor, but at that time of year it is extremely crowded. Otherwise it may be an option for you. Unfortunately specific yacht parts are scarce outside of Las Palmas, so if the plan includes working on the boat then make sure you either have what you need before arrival or know where things can be bought. (There are some options for hauling out, and items fishermen need, like bottom paint, are readily available.) Practically everything can be found in Las Palmas, and anything else can be shipped in by one of the chandlers. Do note that just before the ARC departure the scene may resemble a field after the locusts have past...

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2013, 00:23   #12

Thank you all for good advice.
It is unbelievable how much information one can get from the internet this days.
Svein

Tags
fees, mooring