Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-03-2016, 09:50   #1

Monthly Live aboard slip in lower Fl Keys

Hi, I am in search of a livaboard slip to dock my 31 MainShip Sedan Bridge cruiser on a monthly rental basis. I am living aboard so I will need twin 30 amp shore power, fresh water access, and if possible cable TV.
I ONLY DRAFT 3' and my highest point in the boat is less than 15' so I can get into many shallow areas. I don't play golf and have no need for resort amenities. I do need security as well as a place to park ground transportation. If anybody knows a good dockage, even a private dock, reply please.
As an alternative if there are any moorings close to fuel fresh water, pump out and secure parking facilities, please reply.
teveau169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2016, 17:40   #2

Boat: 39 Fountaine Pajot
Re: Monthly Live aboard slip in lower Fl Keys

in Key West prepare to pay check out Sunset Marina, Stock Island Marina, Key West Bight Marina. We are in Key West any questions let me know
BeachbumKW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2016, 19:09   #3

we are also looking for a liveaboad slip for a 37 Prout catamaran near key west. we went down for a quick 2 day trip last week to look and my wife like stock island Marina. any thoughts or opinions on that? they want about $1800 a month! made me cry a little but i want a happy wife too.
Unchained is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2016, 23:05   #4

Boat: 1970 hinckley 38 / 1975 john alden boothbay challenger 58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unchained View Post
we are also looking for a liveaboad slip for a 37 Prout catamaran near key west. we went down for a quick 2 day trip last week to look and my wife like stock island Marina. any thoughts or opinions on that? they want about $1800 a month! made me cry a little but i want a happy wife too.
stock island marine village is great, ended up being there for almost 2 months earlier this winter. clean showers, good laundry, gym, fairly quick internet, free shuttle into town and that awesome air conditioned lounge. and the shrimp road bar and grill is a fun little spot too. but yes it isn't cheap. if you don't mind living at a dump of a boatyard infested with racoons there's always robbies right next door. I don't recommend it though.
frozenhawaiian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2016, 05:45   #5

Stock Island Marina is very nice great community music events the only problem is it's not in Town. Yes they have a shuttle but ideally it would be nice to be at Key West Bight (historic seaport) or Garrison Bight where you can get a transient slip. It's nice to just walk everywhere or ride your bikes. But if you don't mind being outside of key west Stock Island Marina is great
Old 26-03-2016, 07:01   #6

Thanks for the info. I will have my welding truck and mc at the marina so transportation won't be an issue
Old 26-03-2016, 07:02   #7

My daughter loves raccoons she might wonder over to Robbie
Old 26-03-2016, 09:10   #8
cruiser

"Key Worst" (Key West) options???

Another novel here...
Section 1 is military options/procedures/warnings to help you out...
section 2 is civilian options/opinions/reviews

if you're eligible for base privs on NASKW (Navel Air Station Key West) has two marinas, the only deep water marina and one that takes liveaboards is at the Boca Chica Navel Air Base, west end of the base/island, overseas highway roadside gate is at mile marker 8 so it's outta town an officially not in Key West.

Its a drive to Key West and has a waiting list though...
Really pretty quite/secluded except the "Sound of Freedom" (Jet Noise) but has all facilities fuel, pump outs, showers except mail, you'll have to either get civilian P.O. box around town or be like the rest of us and acquire a box at the Sigsbee base navy exchange which rents P.O. boxes by month, semi or annual basis, at time of writing rates are $10 monthly, $75 annually and they will not forward mail period so you can't do mail forwarding sadly. You can however have someone with base privs check and forward your mail unoffically...what most do-leave your box key with trusted privliged source.

The marina bar there is called Navigators with its beach has paddleboard and kayak rentals, is nice place to hang but you get "Sound of Freedom" (jet noise-even some sonic booms) as well as a lot of functions going on as the individual tikis can be rented for private functions. Kinda fun as most the Air Combat instructors eat lunch there/hang out and listening to them unoffically evaluate the squadrons in training overhead/their landings will keep you rolling in stitches...taking them/going on day sails is a blast too!!!

The deep water marina at Boca Chica has pump out, fuel and trash services and many people with military credentials/base privs who are passing thru on their vessels use this marina to do their boat biz here instead of services in Key West area or even transient dingy dockage while short term transient anchoring in the anchorage between south side (Hawks Channel) of Boca Chica and Stock Island.

You don't wanna try to squat in the anchorage and use this dock daily via dink on an extended timeframe though, not intended for this and you will get a warning from the dock master and eventually get a letter of reprimand from the base commander for this and lose your NASKW base privs if you try to be sneaky and continue this dishonorable practice of landing ashore via dink and especially if they find you are keeping your POV parked at the marina parking lot (losers have tried this and it's why now the penalties are so serve!) much same reasoning why non active duty personel can't utalize the DFAC))

The phone number to the marina (any military marina) are easily found online for more info, but you have to come in person (don't have to bring your boat) with military I.D./Vessel registration/proof of liability insurance for said vessel to get on the slip/mooring ball waiting list/much like getting on the wait list for Rainbow Marina @ Pearl Harbor or pretty much any military installation marina-kinda standardized policy for most base marinas if not all???

The other military oppertunity in Key West is Sigsbee marina which is a shallow water/powerboat/shoal draft day use marina-kinda more the fishing boaters/power boaters (stink pot) marina. Has fuel, water, and people use showers down the road in the campground.
They rent offshore capable fishing boats as well as 16 foot fishing skiffs thru MWR.
You will need the coasties approved/power squadron safety course cert to rent any powerboats there like most rental companies require.
They have an awesome boat launch for trailered vessels, recovery & wash out as well as long term storage for trailered vessels too (lotta the RV snowbirds who winter on Sigsbee in the RV. Park yearly have a trailered offshore fish boat they've kept there on yearly basis as it's most secure place in KW) their fish boats often cost more than their fifth wheel trailers and duelie trucks?))
Also gets a lotta retired/military privileged people from mainland on vacay with fishing/trailerable M/V using this option weekending and what not...mini season on sigsbee with all the infux is worse than fantasy fest influx on Sigsbee.

People with military base privileges often anchor sailboats short term (3 day limit) coasties/FWC will let you slide a week maybe two?))
Just be sure you respect the required minimum 100ft off shoreline of Sigsbee and dink it into the marina for water, fuel and to use the exchange/commissary which is about 3/4 mile walk from marina dock-bring a granny grocery rolling basket/buggy or bicycle...you can throw trash here as well, though it's frowned upon (only military base I've ever seen with an attitude about throwing trash-"cartage" issue as it's so expensive to remove trash from key west to the mainland)...

Again, habitually using this powerboat marina @ Sigsbee for dink parking extended periods will get you noticed and again, a letter of reprimand/loss of NASKW base privs...they don't want anyone trying to live on boats/squatting anchored off Sigsbee longterm using the sigsbee marina like a dink dock for extended periods/parking your POV....
But passing thru, they are quite understanding/teamwork military mentality/eager to help. a better place for coming ashore when anchored in Sigsbee Ledge area/bay side is to land the dink on the beach in front the sunset grill on Sigsbee (closer walk to commissary-base exchange) go about 4pm and have a drink at bar (prolly end up drinking with the off duty coasties who patrol Sector Key West or FWC guys, crowd here is pretty awesome!)

it's best to have your military I.D. visible anytime landing any watercraft on a military base shoreline (if you get that close without being confronted?) best to have it on a neck badge holder highly visible to everyone when coming ashore. Most bases with shoreline have on the water security forces but Sigsbee does not as there is nothing but housing and family support services/recreation. There is however shore based patrol Master at Arms (Navy talk for military police) this practice of visibly wearing your credentials makes you appear/seen as legit/makes it aware you privileges and not a threat or unauthorized.

---------------------------------------------------------

-----section 2 civilian options/opinions/reviews-----

About Key West civilian marinas...

Sunset Marina @ stock island favorable to me cuz it's the healthiest choice for me...but sadly it's across from the main Monroae County Jail and you tend to hear the Jail P.A....see the jail, see the jail traffic as well the homeless shelter is under the jail, so daily you have a parade of homeless people walking down the marina road which is shared by the jail. If driving gotta be careful of people pulling a "Michael Brown" (walking carelessly down middle of the road blocking traffic) between 7-8pm and leaving between 5-8am the parade of homeless heads out towards key west...repeat daily...repeat daily...watch the revolving door spin and spin...somewhat depressing...

I notice females tend to get nervous/insecure about/around homeless people so prolly not an option for OP of this thread...much less any guy trying to be a player and trying to impress women/anyone else...
Sunset Marina is a cheaper marina in KW and what I explained above about jail/shelter/homeless people is the reason why...great sunsets and decent bar though the condo owners tend to be pretentios beyond belief-elitists doesn't begin to describe their flavor IMO!
Sunset marina does have some of the best paddleboarding/kayaking out the marina enterance around cow key channel, also really close to the college if you want to go to the best non university oceanography school in US or a nice marine mechanic program?
Also where the lap swim crowd works out for fitness/KW triathlon club does training sessions, you can put kids in camps/it's on the best roadracing bicycle training loop in KW area.
Lastly really nice sheltered marina unless you get a blow from the north which causes waves from Florida bay to come into the marina directly via the inlet...

Ill agree with others that south side Stock Island Marina is the nicest/posh marina in stock island. Big bummer of southern stock island marinas is going to/from the marinas by land!!!
You have to ride thru the ghettos/trailerhoods/slums of KW and this can be intimidating especially for females and especially at nite. Robbie's is a dump...lastly stock island is where the worst crime in KW seemingly takes place sadly...read the local papers, you'll see...

Back on "the two by four" (KW) Garrison Bight slips (my absolute fave-sailfish gangway) IMO awesome for me it's centrally located on North Roosevelt to any and everything I do in paradise (I'm all over town plus the 4 military compounds) though the salty dogs/ambiance at Key West Bight at the notorious Schooner Warf Bar and pool party next door @ Dontes offer the best exciement off your boats gangway.
If you want to impress others, Key West Bight is the epic center/place to dock your vessel as well as if you're a player/Capt Chaos type trying to impress women/pick up women.
Nice short walk down Caroline st from Duval where there is always another cruise boat of sexually adventurous/permiscuoius woman who is already tired of her girlfriends she's traveling with in port, fresh off a cruise boat looking for fun...great perk I find is they get back aboard said cruise boat and leave port that same day by 5pm generally too. I've never found a better place for one night stands for sailors...as Maverick said in Top Gun "This is a target rich environment"

Quietest/most regal/laid back option IMO is renting someones sea wall/quay (look for ads for this in Key Haven hood-still key west address but it's out a bit at mile marker 6ish)

...that's my Key Worst rundown...have fun in Paradise and do a pub crawl to my fave bars, capt Tonys, green parrot, the bull/whistle/garden of Eden, bicycle your "today's Girl of the day" on your tandem bicycle over to Schooner Wharf Bar & if it's all going well take her aboard your vessel for some adult fun but set the alarm clock so you're sure she doesn't miss her ship outta Paradise and wreck your nite with your steady GF who is broke and needs a day job...A.K.A "girlfriend day care"

Bon Voyage!!!
Sailor Jer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2016, 09:45   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Jer View Post
"Key Worst" (Key West) options???

Another novel here...
Section 1 is military options/procedures/warnings to help you out...
section 2 is civilian options/opinions/reviews

if you're eligible for base privs on NASKW (Navel Air Station Key West) has two marinas, the only deep water marina and one that takes liveaboards is at the Boca Chica Navel Air Base, west end of the base/island, overseas highway roadside gate is at mile marker 8 so it's outta town an officially not in Key West.

Its a drive to Key West and has a waiting list though...
Really pretty quite/secluded except the "Sound of Freedom" (Jet Noise) but has all facilities fuel, pump outs, showers except mail, you'll have to either get civilian P.O. box around town or be like the rest of us and acquire a box at the Sigsbee base navy exchange which rents P.O. boxes by month, semi or annual basis, at time of writing rates are $10 monthly, $75 annually and they will not forward mail period so you can't do mail forwarding sadly. You can however have someone with base privs check and forward your mail unoffically...what most do-leave your box key with trusted privliged source.

The marina bar there is called Navigators with its beach has paddleboard and kayak rentals, is nice place to hang but you get "Sound of Freedom" (jet noise-even some sonic booms) as well as a lot of functions going on as the individual tikis can be rented for private functions. Kinda fun as most the Air Combat instructors eat lunch there/hang out and listening to them unoffically evaluate the squadrons in training overhead/their landings will keep you rolling in stitches...taking them/going on day sails is a blast too!!!

The deep water marina at Boca Chica has pump out, fuel and trash services and many people with military credentials/base privs who are passing thru on their vessels use this marina to do their boat biz here instead of services in Key West area or even transient dingy dockage while short term transient anchoring in the anchorage between south side (Hawks Channel) of Boca Chica and Stock Island.

You don't wanna try to squat in the anchorage and use this dock daily via dink on an extended timeframe though, not intended for this and you will get a warning from the dock master and eventually get a letter of reprimand from the base commander for this and lose your NASKW base privs if you try to be sneaky and continue this dishonorable practice of landing ashore via dink and especially if they find you are keeping your POV parked at the marina parking lot (losers have tried this and it's why now the penalties are so serve!) much same reasoning why non active duty personel can't utalize the DFAC))

The phone number to the marina (any military marina) are easily found online for more info, but you have to come in person (don't have to bring your boat) with military I.D./Vessel registration/proof of liability insurance for said vessel to get on the slip/mooring ball waiting list/much like getting on the wait list for Rainbow Marina @ Pearl Harbor or pretty much any military installation marina-kinda standardized policy for most base marinas if not all???

The other military oppertunity in Key West is Sigsbee marina which is a shallow water/powerboat/shoal draft day use marina-kinda more the fishing boaters/power boaters (stink pot) marina. Has fuel, water, and people use showers down the road in the campground.
They rent offshore capable fishing boats as well as 16 foot fishing skiffs thru MWR.
You will need the coasties approved/power squadron safety course cert to rent any powerboats there like most rental companies require.
They have an awesome boat launch for trailered vessels, recovery & wash out as well as long term storage for trailered vessels too (lotta the RV snowbirds who winter on Sigsbee in the RV. Park yearly have a trailered offshore fish boat they've kept there on yearly basis as it's most secure place in KW) their fish boats often cost more than their fifth wheel trailers and duelie trucks?))
Also gets a lotta retired/military privileged people from mainland on vacay with fishing/trailerable M/V using this option weekending and what not...mini season on sigsbee with all the infux is worse than fantasy fest influx on Sigsbee.

People with military base privileges often anchor sailboats short term (3 day limit) coasties/FWC will let you slide a week maybe two?))
Just be sure you respect the required minimum 100ft off shoreline of Sigsbee and dink it into the marina for water, fuel and to use the exchange/commissary which is about 3/4 mile walk from marina dock-bring a granny grocery rolling basket/buggy or bicycle...you can throw trash here as well, though it's frowned upon (only military base I've ever seen with an attitude about throwing trash-"cartage" issue as it's so expensive to remove trash from key west to the mainland)...

Again, habitually using this powerboat marina @ Sigsbee for dink parking extended periods will get you noticed and again, a letter of reprimand/loss of NASKW base privs...they don't want anyone trying to live on boats/squatting anchored off Sigsbee longterm using the sigsbee marina like a dink dock for extended periods/parking your POV....
But passing thru, they are quite understanding/teamwork military mentality/eager to help. a better place for coming ashore when anchored in Sigsbee Ledge area/bay side is to land the dink on the beach in front the sunset grill on Sigsbee (closer walk to commissary-base exchange) go about 4pm and have a drink at bar (prolly end up drinking with the off duty coasties who patrol Sector Key West or FWC guys, crowd here is pretty awesome!)

it's best to have your military I.D. visible anytime landing any watercraft on a military base shoreline (if you get that close without being confronted?) best to have it on a neck badge holder highly visible to everyone when coming ashore. Most bases with shoreline have on the water security forces but Sigsbee does not as there is nothing but housing and family support services/recreation. There is however shore based patrol Master at Arms (Navy talk for military police) this practice of visibly wearing your credentials makes you appear/seen as legit/makes it aware you privileges and not a threat or unauthorized.

-----section 2 civilian options/opinions/reviews-----

About Key West civilian marinas...

Sunset Marina @ stock island favorable to me cuz it's the healthiest choice for me...but sadly it's across from the main Monroae County Jail and you tend to hear the Jail P.A....see the jail, see the jail traffic as well the homeless shelter is under the jail, so daily you have a parade of homeless people walking down the marina road which is shared by the jail. If driving gotta be careful of people pulling a "Michael Brown" (walking carelessly down middle of the road blocking traffic) between 7-8pm and leaving between 5-8am the parade of homeless heads out towards key west...repeat daily...repeat daily...watch the revolving door spin and spin...somewhat depressing...

I notice females tend to get nervous/insecure about/around homeless people so prolly not an option for OP of this thread...much less any guy trying to be a player and trying to impress women/anyone else...
Sunset Marina is a cheaper marina in KW and what I explained above about jail/shelter/homeless people is the reason why...great sunsets and decent bar though the condo owners tend to be pretentios beyond belief-elitists doesn't begin to describe their flavor IMO!
Sunset marina does have some of the best paddleboarding/kayaking out the marina enterance around cow key channel, also really close to the college if you want to go to the best non university oceanography school in US or a nice marine mechanic program?
Also where the lap swim crowd works out for fitness/KW triathlon club does training sessions, you can put kids in camps/it's on the best roadracing bicycle training loop in KW area.
Lastly really nice sheltered marina unless you get a blow from the north which causes waves from Florida bay to come into the marina directly via the inlet...

Ill agree with others that south side Stock Island Marina is the nicest/posh marina in stock island. Big bummer of southern stock island marinas is going to/from the marinas by land!!!
You have to ride thru the ghettos/trailerhoods/slums of KW and this can be intimidating especially for females and especially at nite. Robbie's is a dump...lastly stock island is where the worst crime in KW seemingly takes place sadly...read the local papers, you'll see...

Back on "the two by four" (KW) Garrison Bight slips (my absolute fave-sailfish gangway) IMO awesome for me it's centrally located on North Roosevelt to any and everything I do in paradise (I'm all over town plus the 4 military compounds) though the salty dogs/ambiance at Key West Bight at the notorious Schooner Warf Bar and pool party next door @ Dontes offer the best exciement off your boats gangway.
If you want to impress others, Key West Bight is the epic center/place to dock your vessel as well as if you're a player/Capt Chaos type trying to impress women/pick up women.
Nice short walk down Caroline st from Duval where there is always another cruise boat of sexually adventurous/permiscuoius woman who is already tired of her girlfriends she's traveling with in port, fresh off a cruise boat looking for fun...great perk I find is they get back aboard said cruise boat and leave port that same day by 5pm generally too. I've never found a better place for one night stands for sailors...as Maverick said in Top Gun "This is a target rich environment"

Quietest/most regal/laid back option IMO is renting someones sea wall/quay (look for ads for this in Key Haven hood-still key west address but it's out a bit at mile marker 6ish)

...that's my Key Worst rundown...have fun in Paradise and do a pub crawl to my fave bars, capt Tonys, green parrot, the bull/whistle/garden of Eden, bicycle your "today's Girl of the day" on your tandem bicycle over to Schooner Wharf Bar & if it's all going well take her aboard your vessel for some adult fun but set the alarm clock so you're sure she doesn't miss her ship outta Paradise and wreck your nite with your steady GF who is broke and needs a day job...A.K.A "girlfriend day care"

Bon Voyage!!!
I live here in Key West will be moving into a slip at Key West Bight in June
Your review and insight of Key West is spot on
Old 26-03-2016, 13:17   #10

That is some awesome insight! I had to read it aloud to my wife. We went down by the college to check it out as we both work at a college now in Fort Collins CO. We were making the same observations. The KW ghettos won't be an issue for my wife and I she is always well armed and very street savy. My son and daughter on the other hand not so much. We have a South African Mastiff that will walk with them. We visited bight marina with a guy named terry we met there last week. Seems like a fun spot to be