Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-04-2017, 16:08   #46
CLOD

Boat: none
Re: Month 7 Expenses & Costs of Cruising

Just random replies

Phone wise I have a Sprint phone and it has unlimited data and texting. So it does internet but slow. Get a weekly Bahamas wifi and sometimes it is great and stream Netflix and sometimes it is crap

Part of only sometimes having fun is when you get stuck on the boat for 3 days in s gale, well you question why you are doing this. If it happens weeks in a row you really question it. I only got into boating to travel, it pisses me off when I cannot

The Bahamas are way over rated......... sorry to break it to you!

Fruity rum drinks are better with ice!

That tee shirt does not smell too bad to wear again if laundry is still days away!

Running the generator in order to turn on the air conditioning is pretty nice and the only thing some days from making you go postal

Yes that a real pretty beach .......... again
Old 18-04-2017, 16:10   #47

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Jim,
I'm having trouble sleeping worrying about this very issue myself. It used to be financial concerns that worried me, but I now think we will be OK. Not rich, but OK.
However I now worry that after a few months that I will become bored and wish I hadn't gone cruising.
However I am a worrier, I would worry that I wasn't worried if that makes sense. I'd worry that I had missed something important.
Cruising can't be for everyone, nothing is, however we only hear from those that like it, People that quit are unlikely to be here, wonder what the failure rate is?
Last day at work is May 31, then a couple of weeks to pack things away and we are gone, at least to have the chainplates replaced, then go aground until after Hurricane season.
g'Day 64,

Understandable concerns, ones that likely affect all soon-to-be cruisers. But, I remind you that if you don't take to it, well, it isn't the end of the world. You'll move on to something else. There may be a financial hit, and regrets about the loss of money and time, but there's nothing terminal involved with getting out of cruising.

Another thing: when you get away, don't let the newness of the first few months discourage you. For many folks, the combination of retiring after a lifetime of working coupled with the change in lifestyle with going cruising is pretty upsetting. It may take you a full year to make the emotional adjustments that allow you to sit back and say to yourself "wow, this is getting to be really good". But it does usually happen if you keep with it and have as much fun as you can while adjusting.

You have my best wishes for a successful and rewarding cruising life. It has been so good for me that it's difficult to imagine not liking it, but I must bow th the reality that it ain't for everyone.

Jim

PS You maybe should rename your boat "Rainbow Worrier"!
Old 18-04-2017, 17:19   #48
cruiser

Sailorboy,

Where do you plan to be during the hurricane and muggy season? June until October.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2017, 17:55   #49
CLOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Sailorboy,

Where do you plan to be during the hurricane and muggy season? June until October.
Currently thinking Georgia
Old 18-04-2017, 18:07   #50
RTB

Boat: Hunter 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
We'll leave a light on for you if you decide to come back here, Don. I remember being in George Town, Bahamas my first time in 2013 on June 15. It was really hard to go back to Florida for me, but wasn't prepared to make a run to the Islands and on to Grenada for hurricane season. We hauled ass back and were in Georgia in July. That's how I found this place.

Ralph
RTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2017, 01:29   #51

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

Quote:
Why not head to Maine -- why you ask - because you have not sailed there yet. simple as that -
when someone asks us why we sailed to thus and so our stock answer is we haven't been there yet.
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2017, 01:39   #52

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Jim,
I'm having trouble sleeping worrying about this very issue myself. It used to be financial concerns that worried me, but I now think we will be OK. Not rich, but OK.
However I now worry that after a few months that I will become bored and wish I hadn't gone cruising.
However I am a worrier, I would worry that I wasn't worried if that makes sense. I'd worry that I had missed something important.
Cruising can't be for everyone, nothing is, however we only hear from those that like it, People that quit are unlikely to be here, wonder what the failure rate is?
Last day at work is May 31, then a couple of weeks to pack things away and we are gone, at least to have the chainplates replaced, then go aground until after Hurricane season.
A64 pilot -- wow getting close. less than 45 days -- good on you --
as for worrying - we do it a lot. As you know we do this on social security and sometimes worry that that boat fix will be more than we can afford but we somehow always seem to work it out.
yes cruising is not for everyone and we know some folks who tried and quit and sold their boats and moved back to terra firma - but then again there are things that we try in our lives that are not for everyone. after climbing big mountains and rock I decided to try skydiving and after 2 solo jumps found it boring - then I found sailing
When we bought the boat we knew this life may or may not be for us so we pimped out the boat for a quick resale if it was a lifestyle we did not like - fortunately for us we kinda like it -
but you know now what worries us is the next step when we finally have to stop this life - some say just live on the boat and sail little sails but like climbing after reaching such heights how do you not want to reach for more and not less. after reaching 18k foot peaks what thrill is there in 10k peaks that are a walk up -

we are anxious to follow you as you join our family out here and experience all that this life has to offer and share that with us and others who want to live their lives through you
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2017, 02:49   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckr View Post
A64 pilot -- wow getting close. less than 45 days -- good on you --
as for worrying - we do it a lot. As you know we do this on social security and sometimes worry that that boat fix will be more than we can afford but we somehow always seem to work it out.
yes cruising is not for everyone and we know some folks who tried and quit and sold their boats and moved back to terra firma - but then again there are things that we try in our lives that are not for everyone. after climbing big mountains and rock I decided to try skydiving and after 2 solo jumps found it boring - then I found sailing
When we bought the boat we knew this life may or may not be for us so we pimped out the boat for a quick resale if it was a lifestyle we did not like - fortunately for us we kinda like it -
but you know now what worries us is the next step when we finally have to stop this life - some say just live on the boat and sail little sails but like climbing after reaching such heights how do you not want to reach for more and not less. after reaching 18k foot peaks what thrill is there in 10k peaks that are a walk up -

we are anxious to follow you as you join our family out here and experience all that this life has to offer and share that with us and others who want to live their lives through you
Some really good comments there Chuck. I think it's all pretty normal. Started cruising almost 35 years ago and we chose to just go for a year to check it out, sailed down to Mexico, hung out there and then it was off to Hawaii and back to Vancouver. We had so much fun we couldn't get it out of our minds even though we returned to our dirt dwelling life. The second time out was another couple of years and we did the Mexico round trip again but tried to visit new areas. Third time out we sailed to Mexico and then to the South Pacific for 4 years, went up to the north pacific and returned home via Midway Island. Decided we had had enough of crossing oceans, sold the boat and went back to flying light aircraft for fun. Now all these years later we bought another boat, sailed the Med for a couple of years and then crossed over to the Caribbean.
I guess my point is that you'll know pretty quick if cruising is in your blood and the really tough decision is what are you going to do when you no longer want to cross oceans. I think we are getting near that point but are in a quandary because neither of us want to spend our time playing games watching the time go away but in a few years we may not be in good enough shape to sail the way we have been used to. Neither of us want to just hang out in one area and fool around but what's next? That's a really big question.
A64pilot I wouldn't worry to much, I think you'll be a natural but my advise is to keep moving, push yourself a bit to put some miles on and discover some new places. The thing I love most about cruising is all the wonderful people we meet along the way, the downside is saying goodbye. R
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2017, 03:57   #54

Boat: Bristol 27

You don't have to cross oceans to enjoy sailing/cruising.

You can have the best of both worlds, land and sea, if you do coastal cruising.

You can get a home or apartment near or on the water in a location of your choice and do both.

Day sailing in strong wind on a small boat is excellent exercise also especially if you sail singlehanded. At the end of the day, it's your choice whether to sleep on the boat or on land......

Next day, do you want to sail or take a drive .......to look at your next boat! Or take a bike ride, run or walk, go to a movie, hike, etc....
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2017, 05:29   #55

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Bacchus View Post
A graph would give a great visual..

Definitely need a PowerPoint! Make sure there are lots of flashy graphics.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2017, 05:35   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburking View Post
This is very interesting info, very real. Thank you for posting the numbers, and the stories that go with them.

I find it interesting that the bulk of your costs are food/diningout/entertainment/Communication
...these total almost $1800 out of a $2400 month. I mention it because I am thinking of doing a similar trip...but on a shoestring budget.

I would think that as a single person, rather than a couple, my food costs would be half of yours. And a smaller boat (maybe 35 feet) would have slightly lower costs.

I'm just wondering if I could realistically manage on $1000 per month.
You easily could if you stay out of marinas and shore side restaurants!
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2017, 07:47   #57
CLOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboss View Post
Definitely need a PowerPoint! Make sure there are lots of flashy graphics.
I'm get right on it. Don't go to sleep till I post it
Old 19-04-2017, 07:52   #58
cruiser

Quote:
Consider sailing across the pond next season, you'll find much more to see and do over in Europe and the Med. Plus the weather is perfect all summer long, no finding a place to sit and wait out the hurricane season.

Tastier food (French and Italian), cheaper and better beer and places to go, things to see and people to meet.

With the present exchange rate being almost 1:1, you'll find things to cost 20-30% less than the US, and of higher quality in many places like Italy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0701.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	438.5 KB
ID:	145824   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0637.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	405.2 KB
ID:	145825  

Name:	IMG_0469.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	436.4 KB
ID:	145826   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0587.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	454.7 KB
ID:	145827  

Name:	IMG_0586.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	429.9 KB
ID:	145828  
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2017, 09:12   #59

Thanks for sharing the budget.

I was just mentioning on another post about water toys. This helps with boredom onboard. In a gale you can still take out a kayak (that peddles, like a Hobie). They sell furling sails and small ama kits, so everything can be stowed below but the yak. This way you can go play on the water instead being stuck below getting cabin fevern
sailorcherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2017, 10:11   #60

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Consider sailing across the pond next season, you'll find much more to see and do over in Europe and the Med. Plus the weather is perfect all summer long, no finding a place to sit and wait out the hurricane season.

Tastier food (French and Italian), cheaper and better beer and places to go, things to see and people to meet.

With the present exchange rate being almost 1:1, you'll find things to cost 20-30% less than the US, and of higher quality in many places like Italy.

Is there a lack of anchoring locations? I though that med sailing was mostly moving from marina to marina... and that it's very expensive to do so.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising