Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-05-2022, 13:56   #16

Re: Month 67 Expenses of Cruising and Living on the Boat

I'm in at 4,850.00.
Iwannarelax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2022, 16:07   #17
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill O View Post
Is this like the Price is Right show? If so, I'll go in at $3,899.
I truly hope you are right.

But know you are not
Old 13-05-2022, 17:07   #18

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

What can I say, I went low.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2022, 16:12   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
If you think I am on the upper end of boat scum you are wrong. In the 5.5 years of doing this full time I am maybe average. Maybe someone will come along here and post some long term low cost numbers. Wait, I have made the challenge and it never happens other than a blanket statement.
I will be at the very bottom end of the boat scum, then. Maybe below that. But I am okay with that...don't remember the last time I spent a grand in a month eating out.

But in matters of money, I am never a class warrior. If you spend X per month on average and you find legal and moral ways to pull in X on average, then I say good for you. I, on the other hand, will have to get a lot more handy and work longer than I wanted to. But I will get there.
Kraken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2022, 16:51   #20

Send a message via Skype™ to Gadagirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraken View Post
I ..don't remember the last time I spent a grand in a month eating out.
This is why I appreciate him posting his numbers! I can plan my budget based on my current spending and come up with a more realistic number (for me) because of the data he provides. I expect costs for systems upgrades and maintenance should be similar to his since I'm looking at similar size boat and adding similar systems. I plan similar cruising grounds to his. You can take his numbers and tweak them to your expected lifestyle. You can decide to get out there sooner by choosing a smaller boat, simpler systems, different cruising area. I have faith you'll be able to do it. Hang in there!
Gadagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2022, 17:01   #21

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadagirl View Post
This is why I appreciate him posting his numbers! I can plan my budget based on my current spending and come up with a more realistic number (for me) because of the data he provides. I expect costs for systems upgrades and maintenance should be similar to his since I'm looking at similar size boat and adding similar systems. I plan similar cruising grounds to his. You can take his numbers and tweak them to your expected lifestyle. You can decide to get out there sooner by choosing a smaller boat, simpler systems, different cruising area. I have faith you'll be able to do it. Hang in there!
The thing is you could get a boat now, dock it at a marina near you along the Bay, and be "Currently Cruising" Maryland and Virginia right now!

Except that you would have various places to sail to without motoring the ICW for hundreds of miles to do the same thing.

Just something to consider.

Unless you just enjoy temps in the high 80's and above from here until like October.
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2022, 17:33   #22
CLOD

says the voice of ZERO experience

I expect some thread drift to a beach cat etc to now follow. Which is zero experience. There there will be "I have this boat on a list", which is zero experience. Then maybe a "I read a story ..." which is zero experience. Then something about apartment etc. which is zero experience. Then a I went for a weekend "cruise" of 20 miles, which is zero experience.

It has gotten so old and annoying
Old 23-05-2022, 17:55   #23

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
says the voice of ZERO experience

I expect some thread drift to a beach cat etc to now follow. Which is zero experience. There there will be "I have this boat on a list", which is zero experience. Then maybe a "I read a story ..." which is zero experience. Then something about apartment etc. which is zero experience. Then a I went for a weekend "cruise" of 20 miles, which is zero experience.

It has gotten so old and annoying
Well I did live in Florida for 12 years and sailed/raced those beach cats there when I wasn't cycling.

I had an apartment on the water for about 6 years with my boats tied up just above high water.

The boats remained there when I moved cross town. (after my son moved in) That is until Hurricane Ivan when I moved them just before we got the 18' surge

If I'd had a monohull, my slip would have cost me $50/month.

It was here at the Landing Apartments and Marina. My 2bdrm apartment was $450/month

Picture of me is probably around 2001 or so before the apartments were rebuilt after the Hurricane in 2004. Just in front of my boats ....on lunch break.

The pool and seawall were not there then so I could pull my boats up and tie them down easily. (before 2004)

We had 10 or so hurricanes while I was there but Ivan was like one of todays hurricanes and hit Cat 5 on the way up to us.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	The Landing.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	258266   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0230 (2).jpg
Views:	38
Size:	418.1 KB
ID:	258267  

Name:	Ivan track.gif
Views:	36
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	258268   Click image for larger version

Name:	Navy Base Marina.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	412.2 KB
ID:	258269  

Name:	Pensacola Beach.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	42.6 KB
ID:	258270   Click image for larger version

Name:	I 10 bridge near Pensacola.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	40.1 KB
ID:	258271  

thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2022, 18:20   #24

Send a message via Skype™ to Gadagirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
The thing is you could get a boat now, dock it at a marina near you along the Bay, and be "Currently Cruising" Maryland and Virginia right now!

Except that you would have various places to sail to without motoring the ICW for hundreds of miles to do the same thing.

Just something to consider.

Unless you just enjoy temps in the high 80's and above from here until like October.
Oh I did more than consider it. I had a small boat in a Marina nearby for about a year. Even a small boat put a drain on my finances that were just unsustainable on my salary vs. my living expenses. For me it's either/or. I'd love to afford both but that's not going to happen.

In these times it's becoming an exceptionally hard decision. There's a death of affordable housing and of available boats that I like. So for now I'm still stuck in the house. I'm moving slowly towards my goal.
Gadagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2022, 05:19   #25

Boat: Looking to buy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraken View Post
I will be at the very bottom end of the boat scum, then. Maybe below that. But I am okay with that...don't remember the last time I spent a grand in a month eating out.

But in matters of money, I am never a class warrior. If you spend X per month on average and you find legal and moral ways to pull in X on average, then I say good for you. I, on the other hand, will have to get a lot more handy and work longer than I wanted to. But I will get there.

I know the feeling, after joining here, I now know it will cost even more than I expected.
I will not despair though, since after all it's just a question of time and money.
Drek4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2022, 06:20   #26
CLOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drek4 View Post
I know the feeling, after joining here, I now know it will cost even more than I expected.
It isn't a competition.

If it makes you feel better, it has cost me more than I expected and that is mostly why I share the costs. But most of that is spending that involves choices we can control. Those mostly are dining/drinking out along with vacation and travel related costs. I am sure food choices and not drinking alcohol or even soda could save $500/mo.

I share with categories and explain them enough so others can read and adjust. Of course I can not organize it in a way that some disruptive never done it troll is going to accept because all they want is to be disruptive.

Btw - one thing that hasn't really made much impact on costs is boat size. Since I do keep track I can say a smaller boat wouldn't save ME very much. Last year I estimate a 30' boat instead of my 41' would cost me $528 less. But overall I figure it works out to around 3% more total spend per year
Old 24-05-2022, 07:03   #27

Quote:
Well I guess I'm in the lower end, that kinda sucks, ah well life goes on.
Hope this cheered you up.
Once I get mine will do, I might be mocked, but I will keep good note of my expenses, I always do anyways.

People will disagree with your numbers but I Seriously doubt you’d be mocked by anyone really interested in the numbers. It’s a personal/taboo thing to openly discuss your finances. It takes some real guts to go out in the nude…

Get out there and let the world see what can be done. It would only go to help get more people involved in the community and on the water.

As always, thank you SailorBoy!
JC Reefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2022, 09:04   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC Reefer View Post
People will disagree with your numbers but I Seriously doubt you’d be mocked by anyone really interested in the numbers. It’s a personal/taboo thing to openly discuss your finances. It takes some real guts to go out in the nude…

Get out there and let the world see what can be done. It would only go to help get more people involved in the community and on the water.

As always, thank you SailorBoy!

Thank you for the inspiring comment, kind of you to say this.
Old 24-05-2022, 09:35   #29

Quote:
It isn't a competition.

Btw - one thing that hasn't really made much impact on costs is boat size. Since I do keep track I can say a smaller boat wouldn't save ME very much. Last year I estimate a 30' boat instead of my 41' would cost me $528 less. But overall I figure it works out to around 3% more total spend per year

I'm surprised that the difference is only 3%, I would have expected a larger engine consuming more diesel, larger sails when comes time for replacement, etc. to represent more than this.
Thank you for sharing this information with me.
Old 24-05-2022, 09:53   #30
CLOD

Quote:
I'm surprised that the difference is only 3%, I would have expected a larger engine consuming more diesel, larger sails when comes time for replacement, etc. to represent more than this.
Thank you for sharing this information with me.
https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...at-238318.html

Tags
boat, cruising