Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-01-2017, 08:28   #76

Boat: Bristol 27
Re: Month 4 Expenses & Costs of Cruising

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
I agree.
Many people on this forum have worked hard their entire life, have risen to a good position in their community and society, have studied hard, brought children up and successfully educated them into college, university, etc.
They have tasted their success in a nice restaurant or two.

Now they have the opportunity to spend some hard earned money and go cruising....

So why should they ever only sail in 3rd world countries, be forced to stay in a Rolly Anchorage instead of the nice flat marina, walk the streets barefoot like a vagabond instead of buying a new shirt so they look like they have some sort of pride? Why should people who've worked their asses off be criticized for visiting an expensive $15 museum or art gallery, or watch the natives dance in some resort. Why shouldn't they rent a car to see a significant sight?

I've sailed to some pretty cheap places (in Asia) and some of them are not for everyone. Some people love the culture of some places others can't stand. The stench and apparent depravity of abject poverty can affect people in different ways.... Some people can happily cruise there, some can't.

Instead of slagging off about how others cruise we should look inwards and seeing we we are doing our own thing well.

Mark
There's nothing wrong with that!

Many folks though have always hated to spend money on things they don't need or want like staying at a marina so they are just offering their opinions

Others simply enjoy living off the grid or they want to try and simulate how sailors lived back in the day

You can always buy used books if you want culture or read online books if you aren't a member of the local library.

Many people that live off the grid and don't spend a lot of money have worked hard also and attended university etc.

Btw, do all the folks that like to spend a lot and are on a constant cruising vacation stay tied up to the dock when summer comes for the A/C or is it simply time to head North? I know that on the gulf coast it gets super hot in summer.......

Tom
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2017, 08:41   #77
CLOD

Boat: none

It so easy to burn through a daily budget. It's 1137 and so far I've spent
$15 daily mooring
$7.50 gas for dinghy
$14 to ship some packages
$15 on a boat maintenance item
$15 for lunch for us while out

So almost the daily budget and we haven't even gone to the grocery store yet.
Old 25-01-2017, 08:42   #78
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson Force View Post
'but the paradox is that it can never stay fun if you spend more than you make!
There in lies the crux of the matter, for me it will have to be a couple of things

1. sustainable, have to live within the budget as I do not want to be the guy who has to go back to work.
2. leave enough for us to start another life when we swallow the anchor, cause barring sinking at sea with the loss of all hands or something, we will one day swallow the anchor
3. be fun, if we have to resort to subsistence living, it won't last, we will go back to work or something. I have lived with not much in my life, I was a Pvt. in the Army with a non working, Pregnant wife living in an expensive area (Savannah Ga) and I don't want to go back to that type of living if I can help it.

I have made up my mind, we are going, but I agonized over it, cause we could have worked for five more years and doubled the cruising kitty / retirement nest egg, but I'd have five years more of my life gone and of course maybe not be physically able, and your not getting those years back.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2017, 09:32   #79
CLOD

Boat: none

You can always get more money, but you can't get more years
Old 26-01-2017, 14:18   #80
cruiser

Boat: Kettenburg K40

Quote:
'but the paradox is that it can never stay fun if you spend more than you make!
Money is not a valid part of that equation...............

Too many believe it and end up lost in life cause "they don't have enough money"

Not denying it makes the world go round, but.............
ur2slo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2017, 15:10   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
It so easy to burn through a daily budget. It's 1137 and so far I've spent
$15 daily mooring
$7.50 gas for dinghy
$14 to ship some packages
$15 on a boat maintenance item
$15 for lunch for us while out

So almost the daily budget and we haven't even gone to the grocery store yet.
Yep, you're on track to spend at least $3k/mo. I've seen you talk about your budget on older threads, that is about what you two we're hoping to spend, right? Or $2k? Can't recall...

Maybe try out my rule?
Whether at a marina or if cruising, eat at home and go out to drink (or the opposite). Included in this rule is - only at happy hour.

This keeps you healthier too. You end up going to bed earlier, due to the HH rule. You consume less calories and fat, usually, as most pick eating at home, drinking out, so you avoid greasy, fattening, fried processed food. Neither of you get sloshed as someone has to operate the o/b and they don't want to sit around on someone else's boat watching everyone else get more tipsy while they gotta sober up. If shoreside, you both gotta walk or ride a bike, can't, I mean shouldn't, be hammered doing that.
sailorcherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2017, 15:30   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
I agree.
Many people on this forum have worked hard their entire life, have risen to a good position in their community and society, have studied hard, brought children up and successfully educated them into college, university, etc.
They have tasted their success in a nice restaurant or two.

Now they have the opportunity to spend some hard earned money and go cruising....

So why should they ever only sail in 3rd world countries, be forced to stay in a Rolly Anchorage instead of the nice flat marina, walk the streets barefoot like a vagabond instead of buying a new shirt so they look like they have some sort of pride? Why should people who've worked their asses off be criticized for visiting an expensive $15 museum or art gallery, or watch the natives dance in some resort. Why shouldn't they rent a car to see a significant sight?

I've sailed to some pretty cheap places (in Asia) and some of them are not for everyone. Some people love the culture of some places others can't stand. The stench and apparent depravity of abject poverty can affect people in different ways.... Some people can happily cruise there, some can't.

Instead of slagging off about how others cruise we should look inwards and seeing we we are doing our own thing well.

Mark
In my opinion people are very predictable. ..if you live the high life at your land base your not going to be buying into the cheap seats when you go cruising. Cruising is just the same as any other lifestyle, if you can afford it then you'll spend the money, if you've always been on a tight budget then that mindset will carry over into cruising.
This doesn't necessarily mean that those people that spend more money have more because there are people who have deep pockets but have always been tight with a dollar and that won't change. There are some that live the high life on credit cards and in a short time are back working for the man. It makes life interesting, everyone has different ways of doing the same thing.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2017, 15:44   #83

So, how will the oppressive heat (in Florida) that will soon come affect a new cruiser's budget that isn't used to it?
Old 26-01-2017, 16:24   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
So, how will the oppressive heat (in Florida) that will soon come affect a new cruiser's budget that isn't used to it?
I know Florida, 95f by 10/11am on some summer days!

Shade. As in cockpit and definitely a boom tent/cabin top awning. Hatch covers. Lots of clamp-on fans (12v and battery).

Honda genny and a window AC really does the job though.
Old 26-01-2017, 16:34   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorcherry View Post
Honda genny and a window AC really does the job though.
Sounds good but the OP doesn't like noisy boaters
Old 26-01-2017, 16:41   #86

Honda Genny on deck in an insulated box is pretty quiet.
Old 26-01-2017, 16:54   #87
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
"...... isn't used to it?" I think this is a recognition that you can become used to it. I grew up in South Florida without air conditioning. Why do I see so many people walking around in shorts in the Florida winter when the temps are in the fifties (F*) and I'm wearing a hooded jacket? .... maybe I could adapt.
Old 26-01-2017, 18:56   #88

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Why do I see so many people walking around in shorts in the Florida winter when the temps are in the fifties (F*) and I'm wearing a hooded jacket? .... maybe I could adapt.
Hudson, we're in the same boat here in Tasmania... except that it is summer!

Jim
Old 27-01-2017, 06:54   #89

Quote:
"...... isn't used to it?" I think this is a recognition that you can become used to it. I grew up in South Florida without air conditioning. Why do I see so many people walking around in shorts in the Florida winter when the temps are in the fifties (F*) and I'm wearing a hooded jacket? .... maybe I could adapt.
I did lots of sailboat racing/boat setup, long distance cycling, and running in the Florida Sun when I lived there for 12 years but it seemed easier to deal with the heat when I was late 30's.....through early 50's

BUT, I got to sleep in the air conditioning not anchored out on a boat.

We did have 6-8 hurricanes though while I lived there and one come through in July knocking out power for several days. This was not fun in an apartment. I slept by the pool one night on one of the lounge chairs and on the tramp of my boat another night but they were not fun nights. We had the prevailing winds during the day which made things better then

I also remember it being REALLY COLD for a couple weeks per year with high temps only in the mid 40's.

It was 38 degrees here in Virginia Beach this morning on the way to work. I stopped by the boat to drop off some stuff and to enjoy the morning for a minute before going to work. It was sunny and very nice at 38 degrees but I grew up here. It's suppose to be 27 degrees Monday AM but it's suppose to be sunny so it should be quite nice. We were a very uncomfortable 60 plus yesterday and folks were removing layers of clothing

I was back in Pensacola in July 2013 after being up here 5 years and it was like an oven. I did a 3 mile run and was dehydrated for the next 3 days
Old 27-01-2017, 07:29   #90
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
It's an acclimatization thing, to some extent. Meaning if your in place prior to the heat beginning and you don't have AC then you will acclimatize to doing without as it slowly gets hotter as Summer comes.
What is tough is coming from AC living to suddenly being in Summer Wx without it.

I say to some extent, cause I do not believe you could ever truly get used to a Summer in Kuwait or that part of the world, you won't die, but sometimes you will wish you would.

But one way out is a Marina, long term Marina is not that expensive, with power about $650 a month, not I assume in the expensive part of Fl though? Its renting a slip on a daily rate that will eat you alive
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising