Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-08-2019, 17:18   #91

Boat: Catalina 470
Re: Month 35 Expenses of Cruising and Living on the Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Actually it was beginning when I Retired a couple of years ago.
I was having a discussion with my funds manager, and what it amounts to is no one really knows where this will end up, as there is no time in history when this has occurred, we have no precedent to compare it to.
Yes, unprecedented BUT I'm not so sure no one knows where it will end up, countries around the world are aggressively and deliberately devaluing their currencies, Trump is publicly demanding the FED to lower interest rates and start QE.
The world is attempting to deflate from a boom created via easy credit.

Keep in mind history tells us that the main tool used when a recession hits is to lower interest rates by at least 4%, now Australia is already at 1% and the US is 2.5%? hmmmmm, so what will be the official cash rate be if a recession hits? and a inverted yield curve says it's in the way....anyway I'm way of topic.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2019, 17:27   #92
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Month 35 Expenses of Cruising and Living on the Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
I'm way of topic.

I guess we are, it does however have to do with a cruising budget as many cruisers do so off of their Retirement income, and many times funds available determines the budget.

Maybe we should start a thread on investment strategies?
I’m not one to dig through other forums, but I’ve learned quite a lot here reading what others have posted on the subject.

Guess I’m saying that maybe it’s time to cruise on a little less than the max you have available and to build a pad to get through the bad times, and or learn to cruise on a little less.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2019, 17:41   #93
S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410

Spent $130 today on stuff, but made $2500 on the market

I need to try harder

Seriously most of posting are retired people (it’s just that I’m so much younger than you old people. ) and should have more fun and less worry while we can
Old 19-08-2019, 17:46   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I guess we are, it does however have to do with a cruising budget as many cruisers do so off of their Retirement income, and many times funds available determines the budget.

Maybe we should start a thread on investment strategies?
I’m not one to dig through other forums, but I’ve learned quite a lot here reading what others have posted on the subject.
Money is extremely relevant to cruising.

My concerns ,which I can back, are that many cruisers (and of course others) are completely unprepared for anything other than what they've seen during the last 10 years, everyone's a financially genius yet few understand money, I say this with no disrespect intended, my own understanding is limited.

What concerns me most is how few are concerned. The US is the strongest economy in the world yet the best they could do during the longest economic expansion in the last 100 years is get the cash rate to 2.5% before reversing course and this was helped along by massive stimulus. Australia dropped its cash rate to 3% in 2008-9 and the RBA governor said " this is an emergency interest rate" ,Australia is now at 1%, if 3% is an emergency rate what is 1%?

We have an optimism bias which blinds us to facts. Some saw 2008 coming, because they looked, some see what's coming down the road now because they are looking, continous growth isnt possible......doubting Thomas as A64 says? maybe, but the numbers are there for all to see.

whoops, I think I just had a rant
Old 19-08-2019, 17:50   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post

I need to try harder [emoji3]

Seriously most of posting are retired people (it’s just that I’m so much younger than you old people. ) and should have more fun and less worry while we can
I've made most of my money while being retired, I'm 51 and retired at 38. I've made it by being contrarian to the norm.

The madness of crowds is a good read.
Old 19-08-2019, 18:59   #96
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Month 35 Expenses of Cruising and Living on the Boat

Quote:

In one day?
Just kidding I know it wasn’t made in one day.

However it’s my belief that what we have been experiencing isn’t sustainable, that the market is cyclical, and that the best move is to take those earnings and save them, maybe in bonds, but you chose as to how for the inevitable downturn.
Having a significant chunk of cash may be a good strategy as it may help keep you from having to cash stock in when they are at the bottom.

Of course if I’m right then the correct course of action even years ago would have been to continue to accumulate wealth to ride out the downturn.

Pensions assuming they are solvent will be a good thing as hopefully they will continue.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2019, 19:13   #97
S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410

Whether it’s sustainable or not depends on the time frame you chose. But It seems everyone wants it to crash so they can say they said so. Guess people really do prefer gloom and doom bad news over good. Makes no sense to me.

But in the end my feeling the root problem of next recession is going to be student loans.

Because this is all off topic and I’m typing on my iPad with one finger I’m leaving it at that.
Old 19-08-2019, 22:04   #98
cruiser

Quote:
here's a real like day in my cruiser life

- 2 of us take bus over to the mall because that's a central location $3
- buy a new backpack because I'm been meaning too for 2 years - $21.38
- have lunch in the food court as we have been wanting lo mein - $20.94
- go to bookstore and get a New Orleans guide for next week - $21.40
- go over to Walmart and get a few sundries and a couple of groceries - $52.69
- get a box of 5 star gourmet wine - $17.99
- take the bus back - $3

viviendo la vida loca
I’m presently touring remote quiet anchorages around Lefkas, Greece... no Walmarts anywhere, no place to spend money even if I wanted to. Here I don’t spend, at my apartment in Massachusetts, there’s a Walmart down the street where I spend.

BTW: That wine would have cost you about $5 at most places around the Med.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2019, 22:12   #99
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
This is fun... My real life cruising day involved baking bread, reading, CF posting (b/c this is the first place with good net access I've had in a while). Then I did a little varnishing, made supper of dried beef, veg and some vermicelli noodles. As a final bonus a trio of local fishers (brothers) dropped off three large freshly-caught cod. I know what we're having for dinner tomorrow [emoji1].

Cost for all this: $0.00

Value: priceless

[emoji6][emoji1][emoji6]
Your day was almost exactly the same as ours, except no fish from fishermen, instead... we explored a small local cave on our inflatable paddleboards. Cost: €0.00. Value: Priceless
Old 20-08-2019, 04:08   #100

Quote:
Whether it’s sustainable or not depends on the time frame you chose. But It seems everyone wants it to crash so they can say they said so. Guess people really do prefer gloom and doom bad news over good. Makes no sense to me.

But in the end my feeling the root problem of next recession is going to be student loans.

Because this is all off topic and I’m typing on my iPad with one finger I’m leaving it at that.
A common narrative is to label others "doom & gloom" when they view the current model or current situation as unsustainable, even if the data in the form of valuations and history is on their side.

As mentioned earlier many have a optimism bias because this suits their view regardless of whether there is any data to support their opptumism, it's a form of laziness. Opptumism is as dangerous as pessimism, a open mind that questions and takes responsibility is a much better tool than one that says "she'll be right". Warren Buffet is currently holding 129 billion in cash, is this because hes a pessimist? should he be optimistic ,and just through it all in the market?

Student debt is huge ,but this is only one area that is debt saturated, corporate debt is arguably a larger problem, and once again this is just one more area that has abused cheap money,, there are many more.

Regarding wanting doom so that one can be correct is just stupid talk, I'd rather everything to go up for ever ,just get richer day by day for doing nothing, who wouldn't want that. Btw my investments have returned 37% in the last 12 mths and that's actively managing them myself, my point is I'm doing ok, lifes going very well BUT this does not blind me to the economic reality at hand.

Bottom line is we have a world that is historically incredibly indebted ,spending tomorrows prosperity, a world that has spent way more than it earns and has no way of paying this money back, you dont need to be an economist to understand this, simple economics that mum and dad taught most of us is enough to understand the problem, more money in, than money out,its that simple.

But hey, I accept my views although heavily researched could be wrong , but I assure you the easily obtainable evidence suggests I'm not, if you had a good look at the possible out comes that could occur due to the last 20 years (more) of poor monetary policy you'd be worried, it would be foolish not to be.
Old 20-08-2019, 04:14   #101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Your day was almost exactly the same as ours, except no fish from fishermen, instead... we explored a small local cave on our inflatable paddleboards. Cost: €0.00. Value: Priceless [emoji2][emoji2]
That's so what cruising is about! One thing I love about the carribean is the beautiful clear water, starting each day by falling of the boat is the best.
Old 20-08-2019, 05:24   #102

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Our Yanmar 100hp has only 2400 hours on it, and we’ve only put 1400 on it over an eight year period which amounts to less than 200 per year. Our Perkins 225hp has only 800 hours total on it since new.

Our Onan 12.5kw generator is three months old with 35 hours total and our Westerbeke 10kw has only 1500 hours. This year with solar we’ve only put 35 hours on it.

Our sails are brand new DYS tri-radial cut on both boats with an expected life span of 30,000 sailing miles. We’ve put less than 10 sailing days on them to date.

At this rate of wear, I don’t expect any need to replace any of these big ticket items in my lifetime... so they’re not part of the budget, and don’t need to be. Starting out with everything brand new makes a big difference in the monthly service/replacement cost to run a cruising boat.
So your cruising budget is 15euro day and it's easy to keep the boat maintained? Does the 15euros include the list below that your for sale ad claims you spent in May?
Quote:
New Equipment added May 2019

Mastervolt 75/24 charger in addition to the Master 50/24
Mastervolt EasyView 5 & MasterVolt Master Shunt 500 with MasterBus
Bamar Top down Spinnaker furling system
Reverso fuel polishing system with Separ filter and Racor double filter system with changeover switch.
Highfield CL360 dinghy with steering console and 15hp Mercury 2 stroke outboard.
Two Spectra 380c watermakers providing 17 gph each
New Raymarine electronics including: -Two Raymarine e127 hybrid touch 12 inch chartplotters - Raymarine i50,i60 and i70 digital instruments - Raymarine 24 inch digital radar
-Vesper Watchmate AIS transponder
-Icom SSB radio.
KVH satellite internet V3-IP
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2019, 05:29   #103

Boat: Discovery 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
So your cruising budget is 15euro day and it's easy to keep the boat maintained? Does the 15euros include the list below that your for sale ad claims you spent in May?

He will claim that’s ‘the other boat’ and therefore those expenses don’t count’ ......muhahahaha
Hartings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2019, 05:36   #104

Boat: Rafiki 37

Always interesting to watch these revenue discussions. I know next to nothing about it all, and have minimal direct stake in it all.

Instead of focusing my energies and resources on the revenue side of the balance sheet I've tried to increase our overall wealth by focusing on the expense side. As any business person knows, you can improve the bottom line b increasing revenue OR decreasing expenses.

So much discussion here, and indeed in our wealthy societies in general, is focused on the revenue side. That's fine, but people tend to ignore the other side of the equation.
Old 20-08-2019, 05:50   #105
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartings View Post
He will claim that’s ‘the other boat’ and therefore those expenses don’t count’ ......muhahahaha
All of it was equipment purchased well over a year ago and then taken off the list to be used on the 62 when we decided to sell the 53. In May, it was all put back on the 53.

A mute point now, as we’ve decided to keep both boats. I expect the 62 to cost more in the neighborhood of $40 per day due to a higher insurance premium.

Tags
boat, cruising