Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-01-2017, 07:52   #121

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124
Re: Month 3 Expenses & Costs of Cruising

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Kivett View Post
I am watching this with great interest...I had budgeted $1500 per month, with the biggest part of that would be for going down the ICW but once there that would drop down somewhat because of less fuel cost.
It is possible to save fuel by sailing the ICW - you can either run your engine at lower RPM's or not at all if you have a lot of time on your hands. You can wait and go outside. We always end up running into friends and want to be in various places for various reasons [mostly work] so we burn a lot of engine hours playing catchup.

If you surround yourself with cruising friends that all agree to eat/drink/be merry on each others boats and not go out to bars and restaurants you may find that you end up spending way more on these areas than expected. Who wants to be sequestered on the boat all the time? Keeping track of the best happy hours helps a lot.

Also, when you end up in populated areas where there are lots of opportunities to spend money, you usually do. When we were in the Bahamas we spent a lot less because so many places simply don't have anywhere to spend money!
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 09:35   #122

Boat: 1986 CS 30
Send a message via Yahoo to Hank Kivett

Oh yes i agree ...yes the idea is to hook up with others who, with any luck at all, are experiencing there first trip and what would be even better sailing like or near like boats. Going outside is always an option, especially around southern Fla. I did a cost projection when fuel was somewhat higher and making the necessary stop in marina's for the necessary resupplies. That cost came out to a $1.00 per mile.
Hank Kivett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 04:32   #123
CLOD

Boat: none

fuel costs aren't enough really to be concerned about in the big picture
Old 04-01-2017, 05:56   #124

What is the big picture then....what have i missed in my calculations.
Old 04-01-2017, 06:12   #125
cruiser

Quote:
What is the big picture then....what have i missed in my calculations.
I agree with Sailorboy. Last season we only filled up 1.5 times during a four month cruising season (325 gallons) that covered over 1800 miles. That also includes the one gallon of fuel used each day to run the generator. Fuel is insignificant in the big picture on a sailboat, because consumption can always be reduced by sailing, motorsailing etc. Even at $8 per gallon, our fuel cost to move our 53ft 25 ton boat was only around $200 per month USD.

The single BIGGEST variable is mooring costs. Anchoring is usually free Total cost $0. Stay in a marina slip Total cost $25-$1500 per day depending.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 06:13   #126

Boat: Nauta 54' by Scott Kaufman/S&S - 1989

I find little use in financial planning ehen living aboard
Why!?

Extraordinary expenses cant be avoided, but randomly.

A lost dink, ripped sail, stolen outboard, dead out engine, antifouling... fall in , in the range of 400-4000$ apiece.
400$ is what you spend for food monthly, or daily, if nee fuel filter is needed,.. or whatever

The big choice?? : it is when / what to spend for marinas and alcohol, kasko insurance The rest is largely OUT OF CONTROL
TheThunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 06:27   #127

Oh I agree with Thunderbird and yes crap does happen....I am motoring down the ICW for at least 95% of it. My fuel consumption is 1/2 gal per hr times 10 hr day equals 5 gals. Now at anytime one can sail that is a plus.
Old 04-01-2017, 07:12   #128
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

The un-planned big expenses is why I can't understand how people can plan shoe string budgets, without a large emergency fund and sufficient money to re-fund it, your one major expense away from your cruise ending.
Yes I know many do live on land from paycheck to paycheck and lord knows how, but they get by.
You have to I believe have in your budget some savings, so that an emergency fund can be maintained, then you have to have in your budget savings for regular scheduled things, like bottom jobs, rigging replacement, sail replacement, even engine replacement.
If you don't, then how do you sustain cruising long term?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 07:40   #129
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Yep, it's the big ones unexpected... or time shifted.

For example I had a $2,500 one planned for about 2 to 3 years time. <Bam!> it decides to be now
Its when you acvidentky get 3 at once it really hurts the plans.
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 07:45   #130

Anchor out all the time, stay away from marinas as the costs are high and the lifestyle even higher. Eat simple food and maintain your boat well which reduces the surprises. Use a rowing tender if you really are short of cash, hardly ever get stolen, last forever and no outboard issues to deal with. Learn how to fix most things on your boat and keep your boat and systems as simple as possible. Sail as much as you can, don't get in a hurry. Choose boating friends with similar tastes and budgets, no use hanging out with folks that spend more on their bar bill than you do on boat repairs. One of the bigger expenses for budget cruisers is refrigerators, you need to have solar panels, wind generators, large house banks and large alternators. This stuff is expensive to buy and maintain. If you want to stay on a tight budget you may want to consider this. Everything and every system is expensive to buy and maintain and could stop you from cruising. If you want to cruise on 1500 a month it is doable if you have the attitude to go along with it.
Many years ago, as in over 30 we cruised on tight budgets so I know what I speak of but these days we spend too much but maybe age has something to do with it, lol.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 07:46   #131

Oh yes I have a back up funds for just those kind of emergency's. ie., bottom paint, lost dinghy and such....but keep in mind this is one trip only and not planning on more than one season. This is the last thing on the bucket list and being 80 it's not in the cards for more than one.
Old 04-01-2017, 07:54   #132

Quote:
Oh yes I have a back up funds for just those kind of emergency's. ie., bottom paint, lost dinghy and such....but keep in mind this is one trip only and not planning on more than one season. This is the last thing on the bucket list and being 80 it's not in the cards for more than one.
If your only going for a year then you'll probably have no issues if you leave your home base with a well looked after boat...have a great ride and good on ya!
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 07:55   #133

Great advice Robert...oh yes i have all that...solar but not wind and everything i can to reduce usage. Oh yes i know to stay away from the bar crowd. My goal is not to hang out at marina's if at all possible. Would love to hook up with other boats along the same size who are also new at the trip or who have experience who can led guide and direct.
Old 04-01-2017, 07:57   #134
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Month 3 Expenses & Costs of Cruising

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
The un-planned big expenses is why I can't understand how people can plan shoe string budgets, without a large emergency fund and sufficient money to re-fund it, your one major expense away from your cruise ending.
Yes I know many do live on land from paycheck to paycheck and lord knows how, but they get by.
You have to I believe have in your budget some savings, so that an emergency fund can be maintained, then you have to have in your budget savings for regular scheduled things, like bottom jobs, rigging replacement, sail replacement, even engine replacement.
If you don't, then how do you sustain cruising long term?
DIY mechanics.. Careening for bottom jobs.. don't buy the shiny expensive stuff.. paper/laptop navigation as opposed to all the 'Toys'.. galvanised rigging you can knock up with a couple of spanners.. second hand sails.. and odd job as you go along to help with bills..
I've washed masts, cleaned bottoms, worked beach concessions (when I still had the body ).. routed teak decks.. painted houses.. a little imagination and improvisation goes a long way.. coupled with the skills to function long periods without an engine if needed..
Basically low budgeter's go KISS..
Though these days I'm on land as the current boat is a ongoing Project..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 08:32   #135
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
I'd go, and if it goes bust, at least you went, that is way more than most ever do. Nothing is life is guaranteed.
To be truthful, you may not can wait until you have everything like its supposed to be, we are not 30 anymore. I am not your age, but I can tell that if we don't go soon, its likely that we will never go.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising