Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-01-2017, 13:23   #136

Re: Month 3 Expenses & Costs of Cruising

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Kivett View Post
Great advice Robert...oh yes i have all that...solar but not wind and everything i can to reduce usage. Oh yes i know to stay away from the bar crowd. My goal is not to hang out at marina's if at all possible. Would love to hook up with other boats along the same size who are also new at the trip or who have experience who can led guide and direct.
You'll be good to go Hank are you taking the CS 30? If so they are great boats and might be the perfect size for you. It's pretty hard not to meet lots of other cruisers when heading south, there's always folks that like to "buddy boat" although it's always best to do your own planning. Just get out there and make it happen. By the way ran into a single hander a week ago that was within a year of you and he was sailing a 44 foot Cat, the man was in excellent shape. He dropped by for a visit and pulled his dinghy up next to my side stays and threw a foot up on the deck and pulled himself aboard. Many 50 year Olds can't do that so it's a healthy lifestyle.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 14:28   #137
S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410

Quote:
What is the big picture then....what have i missed in my calculations.
I'm come all the way from Boston area to Florida. Fuel costs small compared to other stuff. And you feel thst you can manage your fuel costs by motoring slow etc., forget it. Motoring speed gets determined by current, distance to anchorages, bridge opening timing, weather considerations.

BTW - if you are counting of your calculations and fuel efficiency factors into it you are going to have a problem.
Old 04-01-2017, 15:57   #138
smj

Boat: Searunner 38 catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
I'm come all the way from Boston area to Florida. Fuel costs small compared to other stuff. And you feel thst you can manage your fuel costs by motoring slow etc., forget it. Motoring speed gets determined by current, distance to anchorages, bridge opening timing, weather considerations.

BTW - if you are counting of your calculations and fuel efficiency factors into it you are going to have a problem.

If coming down the east coast and you don't stay in marinas and don't dine out, then fuel costs will probably be one of your major expenses.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 16:31   #139

Boat: Sunk by Irma

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Nothing is life is guaranteed.
Well, except for death and taxes. Agreed, go now while you can.
Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 20:24   #140

Boat: 1986 CS 30
Send a message via Yahoo to Hank Kivett

I am sure a lot of this will be by experience and or trial and error an yes there will be mistakes but hey it's worth the journey...any help, hints or ideas will more than appreciated.
Hank Kivett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 20:47   #141
cruiser

Quote:
I am sure a lot of this will be by experience and or trial and error an yes there will be mistakes but hey it's worth the journey...any help, hints or ideas will more than appreciated.
I'd suggest reading through Sailorboy's multiple threads on the financial issues. No sense re-writing and re-wording everything already written.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 18:00   #142

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Well I guess we need to close the forum and archive it, cause except maybe for cold fusion and possibly guns and which anchor I feel everything else has been asked and answered.

Seriously of course search, but something as complicated as finances evolves, meaning the more you learn the more you drill down your questions and the more detailed they become, and the more you understand, a lot of that is different for different people, cause of course we have different habits and desires
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 04:49   #143
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
I am watching this with great interest...I had budgeted $1500 per month, with the biggest part of that would be for going down the ICW but once there that would drop down somewhat because of less fuel cost.
Hank, I've been away from this thread for some time, but I notice that many have given you some great suggestions. There's no doubt that fuel, marinas, restaurants and shoreside activities add to expenses.

We've made 25 transits up and down the US East Coast with much of our time in the ICW. We always have the option of cutting our routine expenses in half simply by slowing down.

Just as others above have said; there's no expense while enjoying the wilderness anchorages, reading some good books and enjoying the nature.
Old 09-01-2017, 07:08   #144

Thanks capt. Everyone has given some good advice and i have taken it all in. This trip has been 4 yrs in the making and the boat is in it's final stages of being gone through to ensure it's reliability, spare parts ordered. The only real concern I have, and its trivial, is the new anchoring law's in south Florida and there exact location.
Old 09-01-2017, 15:35   #145
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.

Anchoring laws in Florida will not have a significant effect on your cruising if you are not depending upon being in the most congested tourist areas or remaining among a few places where cruisers congregate in large numbers.

We easily use available anchorages from North Florida to the Keys and up to near Tarpon Springs on the Gulf Coast without any encounters from any authority questioning our presence. We don't choose to anchor in the area of the Venetian Isles within Miami or other locations that have spurred controversy between local waterfront owners, local law enforcement and cruisers.

We do sometimes take a mooring for a modest fee in St. Augustine or Vero Beach because we enjoy these areas and their facilities. The typical distances between available locations to anchor in Florida without any concern for restrictions or fees is about 35 miles.

If you desire to spend a length of time with access to provisioning and daily shore activities, then it might be most economical to pay a monthly rate for a mooring or a slip at one location and then set out again for a month or more for free.

Of course, this ability to find a great number of easily available anchoring locations depends upon good ground tackle and a draft of five feet or (better yet) less. In addition, the ability to fit under 55' vertical clearance bridges will add some more options.
Old 09-01-2017, 17:21   #146

I am totally not into south Florida at all. If anyone has the grid references i can plot them on my charts.
Old 10-01-2017, 06:44   #147
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
I am totally not into south Florida at all. If anyone has the grid references i can plot them on my charts.
I understand your concern; however, it is important to note that there are two "South Floridas" in the same grid. There is the Loud Latin hip-hop tourist tiki bar glitz/bling Donzi South Florida and there is the Crystal water coral reef longustina gator/croc mangrove palm sandy beach South Florida.

There are minor choices to be made that can put you in one environment or the other. When we cruise south of the Indian River we anchor in Peck Lake with ocean beach access and then one of the scalloped bays to the west side of Hobe Sound. Next, we anchor in little Lake Worth just south of the Parker Bridge. We usually choose to anchor on the west side of this area just west of the green marker between the two large marinas. From here we proceed to a lunch stop at Veteran's Park ( Delray Bch. dock temp. closed for repair) and then anchor for the night in Pelican Harbor. From this point we enter Fort Lauderdale where we may anchor in Lake Sylvia to arrange for a slip up the New River at slack current (usually Cooley's Landing) in the older area of Lauderdale away from the ICW. We often choose Lake Sylvia again for a wait before a crossing to the Bahamas or proceed to Miami where we usually anchor near the Rusty Pelican Restaurant east of the little island at the entrance to the old Marine Stadium. Sometimes we choose to then anchor inside Key Biscayne, around Featherbed Bank or inside Elliott Key. From here on through Card Sound, Barnes Sound, Blackwater Sound, Tarpon Sound, Buttonwood Sound, etc... there's a long string of beautiful locales. All these same anchorages can be selected after hops outside using the inlets at Fort Pierce, St. Lucie, Lake Worth, Port Everglades, Governors Cut, Florida Passage and Angelfish Creek.

We rarely enter Boot Key Harbor in Marathon or spend much time in Key West. It's not common for us to try and cluster with hundreds of other cruisers.
Old 11-01-2017, 18:29   #148

Which inlet would be best for a novice to use if one wanted to go around the biggest part of all those bridges and which one would be best to re-enter the ICW. Keep in mind that water sailing">blue water sailing has yet to be experienced and that exit and entry distance should be a short as possible.
Old 12-01-2017, 04:25   #149
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Which inlet would be best for a novice to use if one wanted to go around the biggest part of all those bridges and which one would be best to re-enter the ICW. Keep in mind that blue water sailing has yet to be experienced and that exit and entry distance should be a short as possible.
I'll preface my answer by saying that I favor the "pansy" ride in the best of weather. I'm never pushed by a timeline to charge offshore when the weather is questionable.

Southbound, staying west of the gulfstream, you can find a counter current around around three miles offshore, but this varies a bit.

Two very easy days will take you via class A-1 inlets,- out at Lake Worth and in at Port Everglades. After anchoring for the night in Lake Sylvia, out at Port Everglades and in at Governors Cut.
Old 14-01-2017, 15:22   #150

Boat: Schionning GForce 17c

Interested to know if your coatings include boat insurance? Thanks
WildFireAus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising