Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-02-2019, 05:29   #1
CLOD

Boat: none
Month 29 Expenses of Cruising and Living on the Boat

Still in sitting in Jacksonville FL for boat maintenance and to spend the holidays with family. We are paid here in the marina till March 6 and then hitting the water and moving on.

Did grocery, beer and supply runs as normal. Maybe a little more in the grocery expenses because we didn’t eat out much.

Boat costs were high. Hauled out and did the bottom after 34 months. Had the clear vinyl in our dodger replaced and some repairs done to the sunbella. Even without those spend around $400 on odd maintenance, upkeep, repairs, and upgrades to the boat while just sitting at the dock.

Most of our dining was smaller stuff and we spent less than normal doing it. About half was while we were hauled out for the bottom job and needed to take a break during lunch.

Prepaid some vacation expenses, which is most of the entertainment costs.

Rented a car for a week plus did a few Uber rides.

The total expenses were $ 5,624.71. Cost breakdown as follows for planners and hecklers:

Food, soda, alcohol, clothing, sundries - $ 1202.03
Boat upgrades, repairs, maintenance - $ 3040.44
Fuel (diesel, gas, propane) - $ 1.58
Dining out - $ 229.04
Entertainment - $ 546.59
Communication, storage, shipping - $ 96.46
Fees – $ -63.91
Marina - $ 308.49
Electric - $ 20.19
Medical - $ 0
Transportation - $ 242.99
Gifts - $ 0
Insurance - $ 0
Attached Files
File Type: xls Money spent cruising XLS.xls (53.5 KB, 97 views)
Old 19-02-2019, 17:15   #2
CLOD

Re: Month 29 Expenses of Cruising and Living on the Boat

Went to grocery store tonight and note that for just a few dollars more we could have gone to eat and drink at happy hour
Old 19-02-2019, 18:04   #3

Boat: "Wanderlust" -- 1999 Jefferson Rivanna 52'

Hauled out for a bottom job and you’re only at $5600 for the month? I’d say you’re good, SB.
MV Wanderlust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2019, 18:13   #4

Boat: 1977 Bristol 29.9 Hull #17

We’re feeling you on the boat expenses, the furler we recently had installed took a bite out of the check book, yet we persevere... At least the first couple of weeks in the Bahamas we haven’t spent much.
Pegu Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2019, 07:14   #5
CLOD

I was reading one of those $500/mo threads once and commented that I spent almost $500/mo on just doing basic maintenance and paying for my mooring. Someone on the thread responded that they had only spent $50 on maintenance/repair for the year. For the YEAR !!!!!!!!!!!

I spent more than that yesterday just for some gelcoat hardener, wax and einglass protectant.

One of the things I still after all this time haven't seen is a true cash cost accounting of a long term $1500/mo cruiser. I believe you can anchor out or find a cheap place to moor and be able to live on a boat for that. But I don't believe you are cruising on it.
Old 20-02-2019, 08:34   #6

Boat: 1978 Cabo Rico Tiburon 36 "Isabella"

Thanks SB - I got a chuckle out of the $1.58 for fuel.

I am convinced, by your posts, that a reasonable (conservative) estimate for cruising is between $2500 to $3500 per month depending on maintenance and choice of life style.

deferred maintenance and starvation will lower this number considerable but on maintenance it is pay now or pay more later. Also, you can only starve for so long, and well then the party's over.

This has been very beneficial information for me, thanks again.
Old 20-02-2019, 08:55   #7

Boat: Down East Yachts, Downeaster 38

How old is your dodger? Is this the first replacement of the clear windows?

Ours is 10 years old this year, but we're up north so not as much sun and none in the winter. Still it looks pretty tired. Don't know how much longer it will last.

Do you find labor rates for stuff like that are cheaper on some parts of the country than others. New England is quite expensive, I think, compared to down south.
Downeaster 38 #40
"Downeast Yachts - More sailing per mile since 1975"
Argyle38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2019, 09:11   #8

Boat: Columbia 50

how many people are you cruising with?

I just took a look at your spreadsheet - food seems to be the biggest expense of all (well, you COULD be huge drinker ;- or incredibly fashion-concious).

Just curious, here on land we tend to spend approx 600/mo for 3 people on groceries and don't eat out much at all....

Matt
mlydon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2019, 09:12   #9

U$3000/month on a 12 month, North Pacific journey on a 10.7m boat for which provisioning was provided for 2-4 crew.
Surprise under budget: tie-ups in Japan were cheap or free.
Surprise over-budget: communications. Airtime, SIM cards, burner phones.
Shoalbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2019, 09:16   #10

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy 41

More comments from the peanut gallery:

1. I, for one, really appreciate you publishing this. It's very, very helpful for all of planning on taking this leap.

2. I'm wondering if, and by how much, total expenses change if/when you leave the US. (My inclination is that aside from #3 below, **on average** it won't change all that much, but the variance will go up -some places, things, months will be more expensive, some will be less.)

3. On that same note, I'm also wondering how much the "boat maintenance, repairs, upgrades" line changes when you start adding the additional wear and tear of ocean crossings.
mogulskibum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2019, 11:14   #11
CLOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argyle38 View Post
How old is your dodger? Is this the first replacement of the clear windows
The dodger is 8-18 years old and I would say closer to the 18. It was first time I’ve changed the clear in the 8 years I’ve had it. It had needed replacement at least 5 years.

It still looks pretty good even ethough I can’t get it very clean I’m going keep patching it till it gets the nickname Frankenstein
Old 20-02-2019, 11:29   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argyle38 View Post
Do you find labor rates for stuff like that are cheaper on some parts of the country than others. New England is quite expensive, I think, compared to down south.

It may well be that the quality of workmanship is worth it though
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2019, 13:42   #13
CLOD

Haven’t seen any difference down south for general labor rates compared to the NE. The slips are are less though.
Old 20-02-2019, 14:55   #14

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

Thanks for sharing your cost breakdowns.

Just curious, did you do any of the labor (sanding/painting) to reduce cost?

We hauled out last year, did all the labor and it cost us slightly more than what you posted. We were on the hard for 3 weeks replacing the old rudder/making a new one (again we did all the labor), replacing transducers and other things.

All in all, your boat costs were not that bad and seem very reasonable considering the bottom job and other repairs will most likely last another 3 years.

Bill O.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2019, 15:12   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
I was reading one of those $500/mo threads once and commented that I spent almost $500/mo on just doing basic maintenance and paying for my mooring. Someone on the thread responded that they had only spent $50 on maintenance/repair for the year. For the YEAR !!!!!!!!!!!

I spent more than that yesterday just for some gelcoat hardener, wax and einglass protectant.

One of the things I still after all this time haven't seen is a true cash cost accounting of a long term $1500/mo cruiser. I believe you can anchor out or find a cheap place to moor and be able to live on a boat for that. But I don't believe you are cruising on it.
I agree SB, when we go out for a long weekend on the river we spend 400.00 dollars plus. Gas, food, adult beverages and other items just add up. Yes we could do it for less but it would be like surviving and not living. Work hard play hard. This is the main reason I really appreciate your monthly expense report, its a real life report. Thanks again for taking the time to do it.
ras1544 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, cruising