Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-01-2019, 06:32   #1
S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410
Month 28 Expenses of Cruising and Living on the Boat

I hated to add up the month. Historically this month has been a budget buster because it has Christmas expenses and boat insurance in it. This year it wasn’t different and had a new buster in it. This month we didn’t travel anywhere and are still in Jacksonville FL for boat maintenance and to spend the holidays with family.

Did grocery, beer and supply runs as normal. Maybe spent a little extra for Christmas supplies

Boat costs were high. Needed some rigging work, which should have been 2 hours at the yard with the crane. But they raped me for $1685 for it all the while telling me they gave me a deal and did me a favor. Got 2 new solar panel and built a new aluminum frame to hold them. Did a lot of little things that needed doing that added up, but which were mostly time costly. Next month am hauling out for bottom painting etc. so that will be a hit.

Most of our dining was smaller stuff and we spent less than normal doing it.

Paid our boat insurance for the year. It didn’t change from the year before, which seems weird.

The total expenses were $ 7,286.47. Cost breakdown as follows for planners and hecklers:

Food, soda, alcohol, clothing, sundries - $ 1229.90
Boat upgrades, repairs, maintenance - $ 2998.75
Fuel (diesel, gas, propane) - $ 0
Dining out - $ 386.21
Entertainment - $ 47.20
Communication, storage, shipping - $ 96.28
Fees – $ -30.05
Marina - $ 308.49
Electric - $ 20
Medical - $ 109.43
Transportation - $ 321.60
Gifts - $ 584.66
Insurance - $1214.00
Old 21-01-2019, 07:26   #2

Boat: "Wanderlust" -- 1999 Jefferson Rivanna 52'
Re: Month 28 Expenses of Cruising and Living on the Boat

Well, you took a bit of a painful hit this month and the bottom job next month will deal you another one. But it seems like, overall, you're averaging out pretty close to your planned budget.
MV Wanderlust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2019, 17:00   #3

Boat: Bristol 29.9

I feel your pain. January boat work (purely discretionary for us) torpedoed our budget too. At least it’s not 8 degrees out though, right?
Old 21-01-2019, 18:29   #4
S/V rubber ducky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cthoops View Post
I feel your pain. January boat work (purely discretionary for us) torpedoed our budget too. At least it’s not 8 degrees out though, right?
yes, but the 35 is starting to feel like it now
Old 22-01-2019, 09:25   #5

Boat: Ian Ross design ketch 63'

Thanks SB - always helpful info.

March is the month we dread. Every single once a year bill comes due and we always seem to need some expensive replacement in February and the bill arrives in March. For us, March is starvation month.

On the other hand I know a bunch of my friends would swap their lifestyles for mine in a millisecond, so....no real complaints.
Old 22-01-2019, 11:14   #6

I love the month to month detail of your reports. Now that you are on month 28 you could keep a one year running total with previous running year. That would give us a better view of long term trend. Also a report of upgrades and repairs as a percent of boat purchase would be valuable to me. Even adjusting for miles travelled miles travelled.
Going Gaugain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2019, 11:28   #7

Boat: been sitting it out

always helpful, always interesting. thank you!

Old 22-01-2019, 12:51   #8
S/V rubber ducky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Going Gaugain View Post
I love the month to month detail of your reports. Now that you are on month 28 you could keep a one year running total with previous running year. That would give us a better view of long term trend. Also a report of upgrades and repairs as a percent of boat purchase would be valuable to me. Even adjusting for miles travelled miles travelled.
You are welcome to ask a specific question and I will try to answer it. But I'm not changing the format I'm using as I am only sharing to help provide some real use numbers. I do have a running excel spreadsheet so I do see the changes month to month and compared to the same month prior, but the site wouldn't accept it for up load
Old 22-01-2019, 13:56   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

It’s the recurring maintenance that kills a budget cruising.
You need a new generator, or engine, or sails, or rigging, chainplates, whatever.

However I think it’s the same actually as a house and automobile, house needs a new heat pump, new roof, new windows, car needs new tires, shocks, transmission etc.

Either pay me now or pay me later, remember that commercial?
I tried to within reason replace everything I could before we started out, hopefully that way we will get ten years or so out of the big ticket stuff.

It’s why I cringe when I see posts about how someone thinks that they can cruise on $2,000 a month or so, yes you can, as long as you have a plan for that blown motor etc.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2019, 15:05   #10

Boat: Ian Ross design ketch 63'

I agree. Whether you live in a house, a boat, and RV, whatever - the major items can cause budget failure. We have what we call "The Sock" - for emergencies. Every month since 2002 we have stashed something away for catastrophes, the minimum is $100 but we've put a lot more than that in when we had fat income months. Then we forget it.

We were hit very hard during the last recession because we both had our own businesses, but we never touched the sock. We didn't go on vacation for 3 years, but we never touched the sock. It's for a new engine for the boat, or a new roof for the house, or medical expenses that aren't covered by our terrible insurance. I learned this back in the 70s while living in Japan. They didn't have any social security system, so from their very first paycheck they put away 10% of their gross salary every single week for their lifetime. Wow.

It lets us sleep at night and enjoy today without waiting for the other financial shoe to drop. Just knowing it's there informs every decision we make.
Old 22-01-2019, 15:53   #11
S/V rubber ducky

I don't think car maintenance is a good example. I'm positive that i have spent more on my boat's maintenance in just the last few months than I did on my 2004 Acura TL the last 5 years I owned it. On the boat even if I don't have any semi major issue I spend $200+ it seems on just small crap.
Old 22-01-2019, 17:05   #12
cruiser

Boat: OPBs

Thanks Sailorboy, I really appreciate your monthly posts. Cheers
tp12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2019, 17:09   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Month 28 Expenses of Cruising and Living on the Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
I don't think car maintenance is a good example. I'm positive that i have spent more on my boat's maintenance in just the last few months than I did on my 2004 Acura TL the last 5 years I owned it. On the boat even if I don't have any semi major issue I spend $200+ it seems on just small crap.

Well I meant car and house, cause usually if you live in a house, you have a car.
You live on a boat and cruise, you have a dinghy.
I guess the point is unless you live under a bridge in a refrigerator box, best have a sock
Old 29-01-2019, 04:31   #14
S/V rubber ducky

Ordered 4 gal of bottom paint the other day for $968. ............ Sock has run away and is now hiding.
Old 29-01-2019, 09:05   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I need a bottom job too, got a quote at Marsh Harbor for $4,000.
I’m still having a hard time believing that. That was not DIY, I didn’t ask about that, I asked out of curiosity.

Tags
boat, cruising