Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-11-2018, 06:31   #1
S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410
Month 26 Expenses of Cruising and Living on the Boat

So, we stopped the under-budget trend this month, but there’s a story of course and considering it we did good. This month we traveled from Carolina Beach NC to Jacksonville FL where we are going to stay till after the New Year.

Boat costs were low. The only real repair we did that took new money spend was to replace a water fitting. But, because no one had the 10mm Whale fitting I had to order it and since it had our potable water system down and we were doing boat water out of a jug I overnighted the part. Since the shipping was going to be 3 times the cost of the part, I got some spare water fittings and a bunch of various electrical connections I was getting low on. I’m also redoing the solar panel system and sold our old panel for $100, so that was a credit to boat costs this month to be wiped out next month when I get the new system. Spent money on various small stuff and some sounds mounts for the generator for a later project. Next couple months are going to be refit and bottom paint months and I’m already feeling the pain to start.

Marina costs were for 4 days of moorings at Carolina Beach NC that was a stop in general that became a weather hold. 5 days of moorings at Beaufort SC because my wife wanted smoked wings at Q’s on Bay, which also became a weather hold. 7 days of moorings at Fernandina Beach FL that we stopped at as it was close enough for us to get a ride to Jacksonville in time to vote, and again became a weather hold (only really stayed 5 days but that was only $5 more than the week rate so we just pay the week). And a month stay at a marina in Jacksonville FL ($328.49/mo. including electrical) that really, we only have been at for 1.5 weeks, but of course have prepaid as normal. As you can tell, we didn’t really travel a lot of time this month because we did it almost all in 3 different overnight offshore jumps.

Did grocery, beer and supply runs as normal. Got some new sandals and my wife got a new jacket and a couple of dresses.

Entertainment was high this month because my wife went on vacation with our daughter (I house and cat sat ☹). Out of the entertainment costs $442.17 was the cost of the vacation rental condo for the week. So that’s the “story” part of being over budget.

Dining costs were high and of course a portion was my wife on vacation, so I blame her.

The total expenses were $ 3215.02. Cost breakdown as follows for planners and hecklers:

Food, soda, alcohol, clothing, sundries - $ 764.42
Boat upgrades, repairs, maintenance - $ 82.08
Fuel (diesel, gas, propane) - $ 109.71
Dining out - $ 858.35
Entertainment - $ 570.73
Communication, storage, shipping - $ 96.28
Fees – $ -26.09
Marina - $ 600.84
Electric - $ 20
Medical - $ 20.19
Transportation - $ 54.64
Gifts - $ 53.17
Old 18-11-2018, 04:15   #2
S/V rubber ducky

Re: Month 26 Expenses of Cruising and Living on the Boat

No comments or questions? Maybe time to change the format or just stop the series?
Old 18-11-2018, 04:36   #3

Boat: Borrensen BB-10

Don’t stop writing, please
Oohla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2018, 05:11   #4

Boat: "Wanderlust" -- 1999 Jefferson Rivanna 52'

Tied up most of yesterday so just saw the posting. You're barely over budget. All things considered, you still did pretty well. Thanks for posting.
MV Wanderlust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2018, 06:06   #5

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

Your budget was fine besides the heavier $$ than normal for entertainment & dining out which accounted for ~1/2 your monthly budget. While the costs are still real, reducing/removing the "vacation" anomaly to normalize expenses would have again put you way under budget. Good job!!

Bill O.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2018, 08:13   #6

Boat: Cascade 42 Maria Victoria

Thank you !
pdxsailordiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2018, 08:20   #7

Boat: Maxum 4100 SCA, 41 feet

For a $3000 budget I think you did really well with a vacation involved! Keep ‘me coming!
Thanks!
Gregorys6601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2018, 09:05   #8

Boat: Island Packet 32

Thanks Sailorboy, your cruise accounting is very helpful.
Old 18-11-2018, 09:11   #9

Smile Re: Month 26 Expenses of Cruising and Living on the Boat

Yes, please keep posting!
Thank you.
Andy744 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2018, 09:24   #10

Boat: Ian Ross design ketch 63'

Thanks as usual SB -

the one item that caught my eye is your low communications costs. We've been living aboard for 4 years now and "we" (that would be Verizon and us) can't get our phone plan lower than $125/month for 2 phones and 4GB.

AT&T has no coverage here, so that's out. But I'm hoping someday to beat that price down a bit and am always looking for how other's have solved it.

Thanks again,
Patty
Old 18-11-2018, 09:33   #11

Boat: 1984 Pearson 386

Thank you for the ongoing information and please do continue to post. Do you have a running average?
DenverSailors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2018, 09:37   #12
S/V rubber ducky

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhead View Post
Thanks as usual SB -

the one item that caught my eye is your low communications costs. We've been living aboard for 4 years now and "we" (that would be Verizon and us) can't get our phone plan lower than $125/month for 2 phones and 4GB.

AT&T has no coverage here, so that's out. But I'm hoping someday to beat that price down a bit and am always looking for how other's have solved it.

Thanks again,
Patty
We have sprint and our phones are paid for and not insured. That saves a lot! We have unlimited voice/texting and 10GB hot spot on Each phone.

Your plan doesn’t sound like a “deal”

Btw - the difference what you are paying and what we ae is nothing really in the big picture. But the 4gb is a huge thing as we will use over 20gb during the month streaming video to our tv.
Old 18-11-2018, 09:42   #13

Boat: Pearson 365 ketch

It's awesome to see these every month and realize that our plan is not out of reach! Thanks SB !
Svsumurun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2018, 09:51   #14
S/V rubber ducky

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverSailors View Post
Thank you for the ongoing information and please do continue to post. Do you have a running average?
If you search there’s a 1 & 2 year review thread
Old 18-11-2018, 10:12   #15

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhead View Post
Thanks as usual SB -

Thanks again,
Patty

Are you still in the PNW and are you old? T-Mobile has a plan for 2 lines for $70 for 55 and older. It was $60 when I signed up. That's unlimited data, unlimited Netflix streaming and 1 hotspot per phone(?). The coverage isn't great but that's a great price.

Tags
boat, cruising