Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-11-2018, 10:28   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Month 26 Expenses of Cruising and Living on the Boat

Why two phones?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2018, 10:50   #17
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Why two phones?
Otherwise how would we call each other, and textex, and get email, and Facebook, and web play at same time?

For a us one phone will mirror cast but the other wouldn’t, and while mirror casting ur wouldn’t hot spot so we use the other for that at same time

But it’s cheap in the big picture
Old 18-11-2018, 10:56   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

You can do everything you said with iPads tethered to the phone or WiFi of course.
I think that each person in a cruising couple having their own phone is an unnecessary expense, but is part of modern society where even every child is “Supposed” to have their own phone.
We cut down to one when we started cruising, and surprisingly many people were horrified at the idea of my Wife not having her own phone, so I solved that by saying it’s Hers.
I’m the guy that likes having backups, but two cell phone bills is silly, so you get two phones when International? If not why not?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2018, 11:04   #19
CLOD

I just said we can’t. But I see no reason to battle about it so how about this:

Because we want two and it’s our money.
Old 18-11-2018, 11:18   #20

Boat: Ian Ross design ketch 63'

We feel the need for 2 phones as well. Example: one is in town shopping one is on the boat. The one on the boat realizes we are low on spare fuel filters, the boat calls the shopper to make another stop. Since town is 23 miles away the savings in time and fuel are significant. Also, my husband is off the boat working 3000 miles away at least once a year.

Could we do this with a tablet? Sure. But my phone is in my pocket and my tablet is not. Should it be this way? Debatable, but I'm accustomed to my phone and wanted to know if there was a cheaper way to do it with phones.
Old 18-11-2018, 11:19   #21

Boat: Sailboat

There is value for two fones, even abroad. Or are you doing everything and always together? Getting a hold of each other may require two phones.
LeaseOnLife is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2018, 11:31   #22

Boat: Nordhavn 47

The added cost of a second phone is only $10-20 and most plans don’t give you your entire allotment in hotspot usage so you might have to go up a plan just to make it work the same as two phones with their own amount. Seems like small pickings as far as savings go.
jkleins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2018, 13:08   #23

No no keep em coming! I’m still dreaming and calculating the finish of my career and the start of our boat life!

I think everyone is just busy with the fall and holidays coming and all!

You do a nice job on theses posts! I don’t say much but I read a lot! Thanks for the great info.

I think our land based life is much more expensive that our future water base life. But that’s why I read all these “costs” reports so much to get a feel for the difference.

Once again very nice job!!! Thanks!
Floatinghome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2018, 13:50   #24

Ok, I confess. I have been a lurker for awhile. But since getting my Hunter 240, and making my first 3 day trip to the Urbanna VA Oyster Festival recently, I am realizing I should move out of the shadows. Thanks for the monthly budget report!!!
It is likely the only post I read consistently along with ALL the responses. Keep em coming.
Glansing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2018, 14:52   #25

Boat: 41' yawl

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
You can do everything you said with iPads tethered to the phone or WiFi of course.
I think that each person in a cruising couple having their own phone is an unnecessary expense, but is part of modern society where even every child is “Supposed” to have their own phone.
We cut down to one when we started cruising, and surprisingly many people were horrified at the idea of my Wife not having her own phone, so I solved that by saying it’s Hers.
I’m the guy that likes having backups, but two cell phone bills is silly, so you get two phones when International? If not why not?

During an excursion ashore, I have one phone running a drag alarm that texts our other phone that we keep with us.

Also helps with logistics when some people are here, other people are there...

Contrary to the common criticism of modern life, appropriate tech choices like this can actually help you live more in the moment.
chris95040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2018, 15:31   #26

Boat: Pearson 34-2

Thank you for continuing to post your expenses! For us still trying to figure out how to make this work, it is invaluable! I always check out this thread when it pops up in my email. As an aside, I thought getting rid of one phone would be worthwhile, but after reading some of these responses, I am not so sure. I continue to read with much interest!
fred4936 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2018, 16:27   #27

I want to say, as many others have already stated, Thank You for your monthly expense posts. It helps my wife and I in our planning.
ras1544 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2018, 05:07   #28
CLOD

You people posting you want to learn are welcome to come visit and go down into my generator locker and disconnect everything so I can reposition it. It's a great learning experience :-)
Old 19-11-2018, 06:37   #29

Boat: 1978 Cabo Rico Tiburon 36 "Isabella"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
You people posting you want to learn are welcome to come visit and go down into my generator locker and disconnect everything so I can reposition it. It's a great learning experience :-)
Thanks for the offer Sailorboy but I will just hold the light thank you!

Glad to see the new post and some "live-a-little" expenses.

Very reasonable still!

keep it up, you've come to far to quit now!

Jim
Old 19-11-2018, 09:11   #30

Haven't seen Google Fi mentioned. Not joining the "why two phones" crowd, but they have a great deal where you can get data-only SIM cards (which you can still use to call, but it uses data) for no extra charge. They don't even charge for the SIM.

For me this means putting the data SIM into a 4G modem that accepts an external antenna for longer distance 4G. I haven't tested this on the boat yet, but my network works great from my home (ties into an old router and an old laptop - then as many tablets, etc.. as you'd like).

Google Fi is $20 for the plan and then they charge you $10 per GB used. After 6GB (so $80 total) they have always given me their "don't worry about extra data: the rest is on us!" message. If you do manage to actually use up to 20GB they did send me a "sorry, but we have to throttle you..." message, and I only had 3G for like 1-2 days or something (was camping this week probably used 15GB in 8 days!).

Google Fi will also allow you to add an extra line for $10 instead of the $20. So 2 phones, $30 base + $10 per GB.

Downside is you can't use any phone you'd like. A lot are compatible but not all.
odonnellryan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, cruising