Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-11-2018, 09:06   #31

Boat: Various
Re: Month 26 Expenses of Cruising and Living on the Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by odonnellryan View Post
Haven't seen Google Fi mentioned. Not joining the "why two phones" crowd, but they have a great deal where you can get data-only SIM cards (which you can still use to call, but it uses data) for no extra charge. They don't even charge for the SIM.

For me this means putting the data SIM into a 4G modem that accepts an external antenna for longer distance 4G. I haven't tested this on the boat yet, but my network works great from my home (ties into an old router and an old laptop - then as many tablets, etc.. as you'd like).

Google Fi is $20 for the plan and then they charge you $10 per GB used. After 6GB (so $80 total) they have always given me their "don't worry about extra data: the rest is on us!" message. If you do manage to actually use up to 20GB they did send me a "sorry, but we have to throttle you..." message, and I only had 3G for like 1-2 days or something (was camping this week probably used 15GB in 8 days!).

Google Fi will also allow you to add an extra line for $10 instead of the $20. So 2 phones, $30 base + $10 per GB.

Downside is you can't use any phone you'd like. A lot are compatible but not all.
Actually the real downside on Google Fi has been there inconsistency in service and their switches between carriers.

If one wants absolute lowest costs then there are Metro and Boost but with fuller service it's T-Mobile and Sprint.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2018, 09:14   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Actually the real downside on Google Fi has been there inconsistency in service and their switches between carriers.

If one wants absolute lowest costs then there are Metro and Boost but with fuller service it's T-Mobile and Sprint.
At least in the NYC metro area, I had Verizon before and had rough service. No worries with Fi (which uses Sprint, T-Mobile, U.S. Cellular, and Three for service) on either the Pixel 1 or 2, but these are newer phones. You can probably pick up a Pixel 1 for a few hundred $$$.

I've also never had any weirdness changing between carriers, but again, I've only been up and down the NE including Canada - so I have no idea how it would work in other countries.
odonnellryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2018, 12:50   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(

My wife splits her time between Colombia and the US. She has a cheapie android smartphone (~$120) with dual SIMS. We load her month to month on Straight Talk when she is in the US. Unlimited calls and text. Unlimited data throttled back at like 10gb. She stays WiFi aware so it's not an issue at all.

My phone is currently paid by the company.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2018, 11:54   #34

Boat: Pacemaker 40 Flush Deck Flying Bridge

Thanks for your posting. planning a AGLCA LOOPER CRUISE IN THE FUTURE.

TIGHT LINES!

Alan & Jeanne Cecil
M/V SIGMACHI
SIGMACHI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2018, 12:56   #35

Keep on posting. You're my reference planing the ride...
Thanks a lot SB
Greetings from Germany

Dirk01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, cruising