Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-11-2016, 08:53   #61

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Month 2 Expenses & Costs of Cruising

It's a shake down, of course weaknesses and likes will surface.
What is important I think is to get a little understanding on how much those of us that are preparing to go should hold back in reserve so it continues to be fun as opposed to becomes a worry.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2016, 08:54   #62
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
I know how much I'm spending and where it goes, which is way better than the BS "you will spend whatever you have" budget answers.
Ah but you are proving the expression to be true however. You have the funds available so you are spending them. There are many that could have left from the same port you did and would have/could have spent 1/4 of what you have reported in the last two months, because they didn't have it. If you have it to spend, you do, if you don't have it to spend, you don't.

Cruising is no different than life in that people spend that they have and justify it as that is what it takes to live (or Cruise) comfortably. The longer you are out cruising and meet more real cruisers or varied budgets and cruising styles, the more this will start to make sense, rather than now just appear to be crazy talk.
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2016, 08:56   #63

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed1v View Post
$7k per month sounds about right, realistically speaking.
That's more than many folks make working. And that's gross, without taxes and such.

Everyone is different of course. On land, many folks get by on $30-$40K per year while other folks making $100K and up are deeply in debt.

Repairs and improvements to the boat should really be amortized over the expected lifespan when calculating cruising costs, but of course you must have the funds to pay for them up front.

I keep records of marina and fuel costs when we cruise but not food or restaurant costs (or tips)). I figure we would be eating anyway at home or cruising. We usually bring home food from restaurants for another meal.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2016, 09:08   #64

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
It's not a contest to see who can spend the least amount of money.
That's my opinion as well. Reading other posts, I see some cruisers who are so cheap that one would think that if they didn't have a boat they would be living under a bridge somewhere.

On the other hand, I see the OP's figures as excessive, especially the restaurant meals and entertainment. Of course, if you have it, spend it if you want to.

Funny thing, as my wife and I eat in restaurants with other cruisers, I have notice that while we may be eating steak or seafood, most of them are eating burgers,
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2016, 09:24   #65

Sailorboy1, thanks for posting such detailed break down of your expenses.

Just my 2 cents - maybe you should consider anchoring at least for some time to keep marina expenses down.
Beatnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2016, 09:27   #66
S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410

Anchored out over half the time
Old 24-11-2016, 09:33   #67
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Anchored out over half the time
Sail over to Spain, Croatia, Greece and Montenegro to cut your restaurant bill in half.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2016, 00:49   #68

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

Quote:
We stay, enjoy, look around, dine out, meet and get to know the locals, then move on. Then repeat.

Very little time is actually spent sailing.
Yep -- Agree somewhat -- at times distances are very short and at times very long so we get some great sail time - at times we leave early and get in early to miss the nasty winds that kick in at noon and at times we leave a bit later if the winds are in our favor for great sailing -

But yes a bit of a jump - explore, meet the locals - drink some local made wine - try some local food - touch some old rocks or look at old paintings and enjoy our life and thank God for the great life we are leaving and for another safe passage
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2016, 01:02   #69

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandero View Post
Try that in St Vincent... report back on how well that goes.
We have actually been there. But saying that we were in Bequia and met a young lady who lived in St Vincent and had a big job in a bank there and told us to visit by ferry and absolutely do not bring our boat over - we did not -

but saying that we have sailed both the western and eastern Caribbean before we crossed the pond -- One of the great things we really enjoy is trying to find food - I love markets and well the admiral would prefer a huge supermarket that we rarely find - finding the markets we feel we are adding to the economy instead of to a corporate entity and helping the local farmers -
as an example we are currently in Kusadasi turkey and we go to market every Friday and there is one little old lady that has the smallest stall and only a few items that come from her garden - each Friday I stop by and buy something - she currently selling the last of her grapes - others look better but we just think it is the better course

In Georgia we went way out of our way to find the local market and let's just say you would not want to take your grandmother on that walk - but the market was great but unusual for us we got a cab back and decided that the local stores would suffice - but what a great experience -

finding food is a real experience and gives you a great insight to the local population and how they eat and what it costs
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2016, 15:20   #70

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
It's not a contest to see who can spend the least amount of money.
Exactly right.

It's about how much you can get out of the money you have. Sailorboy1 is a beginner. He'll learn after a few years. One thing for sure though, he is still the same person he was before he left........

I missed this post earlier because I was away working on the house, yard etc and had limited connection on my Verizon Jetpack since the house is located out in the boonies

On the other hand, I did see about 12 deer, numerous squirrels and rabbits while hiking and driving the back roads.

Now it's which bow to buy and which small powerboat so we can get to the ocean.

The weird thing about the lower Eastern Shore is that you can hear the ocean but cannot see it (due to the barrier islands) unless you have a boat that draws less than a foot or so then you need power (on the seaside) due to the extreme current
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mitchell on the Farm Road.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	179.0 KB
ID:	137055  
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising