Cruisers Forum
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-12-2017, 05:06   #46
Registered User

Join Date: May 2017
Location: Fall River. MA
Boat: Cataline 36 MKII
Posts: 45
Re: Month 15 Expenses of Cruising and Living on the Boat

sailorboy1, your facts are highly inconvenient. They make the common fantasy of "livin for just about nuthin on a boat'" very difficult to support. Perhaps you could sprinkle certain restaurant and food purchase details with "champagne, lobster, and prime rib".

Seriously, thanks for the real world numbers. There's nothing like a dose of realism.
DennisRyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2017, 12:29   #47
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Paradise
Boat: Various
Posts: 2,430
Re: Month 15 Expenses of Cruising and Living on the Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisRyan View Post
sailorboy1, your facts are highly inconvenient. They make the common fantasy of "livin for just about nuthin on a boat'" very difficult to support. Perhaps you could sprinkle certain restaurant and food purchase details with "champagne, lobster, and prime rib".

Seriously, thanks for the real world numbers. There's nothing like a dose of realism.
You point out a great reality and that is that people live for all amounts on land and sea. There are plenty of people living in poverty of $1000 month or so, most requiring some form of assistance.

Here's a typical single senior budget living on social security on land:

income $2100

Rent $750
Electric $100
Cable, Internet $150
Phone $50
Medicare Supplement $200
Part D Drug Plan $50
Medications $150
Auto Expense including fuel $150
Auto and Renters Insurance $100
Food, supplies, toiletries, clothing $400

Total Expenses $2100

And that's social security on the high side.

For the person with $1000 income

Housing $100
Electric $100
Cable and Internet $100
Phone $50
Medicare Supplement $200
Part D $20
Doctors and Medications not covered by medicaid $30
Transportation $50
Food, supplies, toiletries, clothing $350

Expenses $1000

So for boaters living on $1000, clearly possible if boat is paid for. Not a budget most would want to live on but a budget many live on and make the most of.

Sailorboy's budget reaches the point of allowing for some discretionary spending and enjoyment.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2017, 14:31   #48
S/V rubber ducky
 
sailorboy1's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Bahamas cruising currently
Boat: Hunter 410
Posts: 17,683
Re: Month 15 Expenses of Cruising and Living on the Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post

Sailorboy's budget reaches the point of allowing for some discretionary spending and enjoyment.
And I'm not living a cruising highlife and probably are at best at the mid level of spending for a cruiser. And you can't judge a cruisers budget by the boat they have (you probably can judge by it's condition).

I will say that when I got interested in cruising I was thinking that $1500/mo would cover it. Then I learned more and increased it to $2000/mo. Then I got a boat and learned what it takes to maintain it so increased it to $2500/mo. Then my wife finally got involved in the plan and it became $3000/mo.

Not saying I couldn't reduce the budget, but I question whether it would then be an enjoyable activity and living.
__________________
jobless, houseless, clueless, living on a boat and cruising around somewhere
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2017, 19:32   #49
Registered User
 
zboss's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: On a boat
Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124
Posts: 4,140
Re: Month 15 Expenses of Cruising and Living on the Boat

36k is just about right for a combo of low cost and actually being able to enjoy the places you visit. Anything above that is an invitation for mental gout.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2017, 23:20   #50
Registered User
 
SV Bacchus's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Back on dirt in Florida
Boat: Currently in between
Posts: 1,330
Re: Month 15 Expenses of Cruising and Living on the Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Not saying I couldn't reduce the budget, but I question whether it would then be an enjoyable activity and living.
Agreed! Why cut the budget if it takes the fun out?
__________________
SV Bacchus - Living the good life!
SV Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2017, 07:18   #51
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Leavenworth, KS
Boat: 2011 Lagoon 450F
Posts: 1,114
Re: Month 15 Expenses of Cruising and Living on the Boat

Always love these posts! I'd love to see this in a spread sheet over the 15 months. Are you keeping one? perhaps on a link you could post so that for us folks it would consolidate them all together?

btw... anyone who still lives on land keep track like this? I think I will start. in regards to the "food" category, I see a direct correlation between the cost of food when I shop for groceries alone, and what it costs when my husband shops with me. lol... he is one of those "toss in the cart when I'm not looking" guys!! I generally keep our food bill to about $100-150 a week... it doubles if he is shopping with me...
scarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2017, 08:09   #52
Registered User

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Easton, MD
Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5
Posts: 3,090
Re: Month 15 Expenses of Cruising and Living on the Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
I've adjusted for the tax deduction loss by reducing the quality requirements, which why entertainment is so low
It's all good, just check for a pulse.
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2017, 09:13   #53
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Paradise
Boat: Various
Posts: 2,430
Re: Month 15 Expenses of Cruising and Living on the Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet View Post
Always love these posts! I'd love to see this in a spread sheet over the 15 months. Are you keeping one? perhaps on a link you could post so that for us folks it would consolidate them all together?

btw... anyone who still lives on land keep track like this? I think I will start. in regards to the "food" category, I see a direct correlation between the cost of food when I shop for groceries alone, and what it costs when my husband shops with me. lol... he is one of those "toss in the cart when I'm not looking" guys!! I generally keep our food bill to about $100-150 a week... it doubles if he is shopping with me...
My financial background could be blamed but we've always done it on land and sea and hard to blame me when my wife was doing it before meeting me, more diligently than I was.

There's an incredible payback most don't realize is there in budgeting and tracking expenditures. You save money. You save without sacrificing too. You save because you're more aware so you don't make the unwise expenditures. You sometimes delay things and then never spend. Also, in reviewing it, some things will jump out at you and shock you. You become aware. I remember in NC one time groceries seemed to be just too high. So, we even built a separate spreadsheet for them, detailing everything for a while. I'd never paid much attention to item costs, just took my list and bought. I never shopped different stores. I never paid attention to weekly ads. Well, this little exercise reduced out grocery costs about $70 a month. Not huge money, but money we were spending while getting nothing in return.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2017, 10:28   #54
S/V rubber ducky
 
sailorboy1's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Bahamas cruising currently
Boat: Hunter 410
Posts: 17,683
Re: Month 15 Expenses of Cruising and Living on the Boat

time is money, plus once you go cruising shopping around for the best deal is not realistic

but sometimes I talk myself out of getting steak and decide hamburger is good enough, and sometimes dare I say I get the cheaper beer (haven't gotten down to the full cheap beer yet)
__________________
jobless, houseless, clueless, living on a boat and cruising around somewhere
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2017, 11:21   #55
smj
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2007
Boat: Searunner 38 catamaran
Posts: 5,455
Re: Month 15 Expenses of Cruising and Living on the Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
time is money, plus once you go cruising shopping around for the best deal is not realistic

but sometimes I talk myself out of getting steak and decide hamburger is good enough, and sometimes dare I say I get the cheaper beer (haven't gotten down to the full cheap beer yet)


When on the boat time isn't money to me as I'm not working and have all the time in the world. Since we have more time we tend to have the opportunity to shop around for the best deal, whether this entails shopping through Amazon as opposed to West Marine or shopping 2 grocery stores rather than one to get the best deals and take advantage of the specials. When working we tend to do the grab and go shopping routine.
smj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2017, 11:52   #56
S/V rubber ducky
 
sailorboy1's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Bahamas cruising currently
Boat: Hunter 410
Posts: 17,683
Re: Month 15 Expenses of Cruising and Living on the Boat

Must be nice to have 2 grocery stores so close in walking distance to each other and the boat to make price checks possible
__________________
jobless, houseless, clueless, living on a boat and cruising around somewhere
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2017, 12:21   #57
smj
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2007
Boat: Searunner 38 catamaran
Posts: 5,455
Re: Month 15 Expenses of Cruising and Living on the Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Must be nice to have 2 grocery stores so close in walking distance to each other and the boat to make price checks possible


4 months ago you could have done that in Marathon, hopefully the Winn Dixie will be open soon!
smj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2017, 12:46   #58
S/V rubber ducky
 
sailorboy1's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Bahamas cruising currently
Boat: Hunter 410
Posts: 17,683
Re: Month 15 Expenses of Cruising and Living on the Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
4 months ago you could have done that in Marathon, hopefully the Winn Dixie will be open soon!
Well even if it does that’s a 21 minute walk each way from the boat to the marina, I doubt you can carry enough stuff to make it worthwhile to go to bth the Publix and the Winn Dixie. And if you call the taxi that $5 is questionable to make up considering grocies have such a low markup really.

I guess it’s realistic, to someone!

Cruising isn’t the same as going down to the boat for the weekend.
__________________
jobless, houseless, clueless, living on a boat and cruising around somewhere
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2017, 12:57   #59
smj
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2007
Boat: Searunner 38 catamaran
Posts: 5,455
Re: Month 15 Expenses of Cruising and Living on the Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Well even if it does that’s a 21 minute walk each way from the boat to the marina, I doubt you can carry enough stuff to make it worthwhile to go to bth the Publix and the Winn Dixie. And if you call the taxi that $5 is questionable to make up considering grocies have such a low markup really.

I guess it’s realistic, to someone!

Cruising isn’t the same as going down to the boat for the weekend.


Bicycles and a cart to pull behind them make a big difference.
smj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2017, 13:15   #60
S/V rubber ducky
 
sailorboy1's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Bahamas cruising currently
Boat: Hunter 410
Posts: 17,683
Re: Month 15 Expenses of Cruising and Living on the Boat

I’ll just put that in my extra locker

I thought we were talking cruising, not living at the marina. I just spend 3 months living at the slip and brought bicycles while there. You still couldn’t ride around to different grocery stores and price shop. I have NEVER been at a stopover that had stores close enough to make this practical. It sounds nice but is completely a unless exercise. The best you can do is combine a BIG grocery run when you can take advantage of enough specials that it is worth calling for an Uber ride.

As an example in Marathon last week I walked down to Publix for soda. I can fit 1 12-pack in my backpack with a few other items. But there was a buy 2 get 2 free. That savings was enough to pay for a taxi ride back so might as well stock up.

Also for you “go to two stores to price shop”, are you really going to say carry your Winn Dixie bags into Publix?
__________________
jobless, houseless, clueless, living on a boat and cruising around somewhere
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
boat, cruising

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Month 10 Expenses of Cruising and Living on the Boat sailorboy1 Liveaboard's Forum 127 27-07-2017 11:48
Month 5 Expenses of Cruising and Living on the Boat sailorboy1 Liveaboard's Forum 22 23-02-2017 14:19

Advertise Here


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:10.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.