Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-12-2017, 08:58   #16

Boat: Boatless
Re: Month 15 Expenses of Cruising and Living on the Boat

Hey Sailirboy! Always enjoy your posts.

How about the restless metric? Have you been full time for 15 months as I’m assuming?

How have the dinner conventions changed? What I mean is from “we’re going to take off” to what they are today.

In our own experience we had a 2-5 month window of enjoying then got itchy for something different. That usually morphed into a long distance RV trip or a return to Alaska for a few months.

Always curious and again thanks for checking on Ohana when you were in the Bahamas!
akprb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2017, 09:33   #17
CLOD

Boat: none

We haven't gotten of being "boat" people. We get tired of places, but that's the beauty of the whole thing in that you can move. I think we are getting settled into the cruise thing now. We were going to leave Marathon last Sunday then realized the reasons were bull crap so now are staying here a month.
Old 19-12-2017, 10:24   #18

Boat: Boatless

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
We haven't gotten of being "boat" people. We get tired of places, but that's the beauty of the whole thing in that you can move. I think we are getting settled into the cruise thing now. We were going to leave Marathon last Sunday then realized the reasons were bull crap so now are staying here a month.
Jump off for Mexico!!!!!! We'll be at Puerto Aventuras south of Playa Del Carman Dec 23-Jan 6.

From there head to Belize, Guatemala (Rio Dulce), Bay Island of Honduras and then Panama!

woooohooooo!!!!!

"Take it all in, it's as big as it seems, count all your blessings, remember your dreams" JB
akprb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2017, 10:37   #19

Many are likely assuming that you stocked up on food since that item adds up to > $40/day. Was there a large ticket item for clothing or other? A rolling 12 month avg might be helpful for readers following your adventures.
CruiseEasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2017, 10:47   #20
CLOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruiseEasy View Post
Many are likely assuming that you stocked up on food since that item adds up to > $40/day. Was there a large ticket item for clothing or other? A rolling 12 month avg might be helpful for readers following your adventures.
I don't know why a category that is "Food, soda, alcohol, clothing, sundries" coming in as $40/day seems unreasonable????????????????????????

You are welcome to help yourself by reading each monthly thread and adding them up.
Old 19-12-2017, 10:55   #21

Boat: Cascade 42 Maria Victoria

Thanks SB1
pdxsailordiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2017, 11:12   #22

Boat: Cataline 36 MKII

We are in Boot Key also. At the City Marina. There's a 3/4 sunk trawler about 100 feet away, sloops with shredded genoas, several sailboats with masts missing, sailboats still piled up in the mangroves, and, my favorite, a 30 -
40 ft sailboat driven up onto somebody's back yard with the boat and mast leaning on the roof.

The scary think about this scenario is THIS IS 3 MONTHS AFTER THE HURRICANE!! They are still cleaning up.

Well, we are coming down on 12/31. I'll keep my eye out for a Hunter 41.

Merry Christmas
DennisRyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2017, 11:19   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
I don't know why a category that is "Food, soda, alcohol, clothing, sundries" coming in as $40/day seems unreasonable????????????????????????

You are welcome to help yourself by reading each monthly thread and adding them up.
LOL, Who said "unreasonable"? It is simply ~50% more than you have been posting the last few months > curiosity >therefore the question.
Old 19-12-2017, 12:09   #24

Boat: 1978 Cabo Rico Tiburon 36 "Isabella"

Keep it up Sailorboy I look forward to it each month also.
jhulmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2017, 12:18   #25

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot

SB1, you know what is important for me in your monthly postings?

The overall expenditures is one thing. But what I really key in on is how much you spend on the actual maintenance and upgrades on your boat. I also watch what you are spending on moorings and fuel. The food stuff is completely dependent on very personal life styles. But I think most of us aren't that much different. It is not like you are comparing how real native Alaskan Aleut eat versus a South Beach 25 year old dancer would eat.

Keep up the reports. You are doing a real service to all of us who want to know what we are getting into with live aboard costs.
alansmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2017, 12:59   #26

I was more interested in whether an extra expense item fell into the clothing or sundries categories that is bundled with other expenses. If it was safety or weather clothing, or a similar related expense, I would have been interested in his choice of brand.
Old 19-12-2017, 13:08   #27

Boat: Various

I think these are great threads as people are always asking about and talking about cruising on certain amounts. Well, it's easy to tall someone, I cruise on $3000 a month or any other number but that really says nothing. Seeing it in these threads we see monthly where the money goes and what it requires.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2017, 13:15   #28
CLOD

Well it was Thanksgiving the past period. We did do some restocking. But the real reason the the “food” category may be up is the dining out is down. Those two do play off each other a lot

Btw if I got foul weather clothing type of stuff I would likely put it into the boat related expensive. Lots of things I put in that category I bet I could get all type of grief over. Pretty much if I wouldn’t have gotten something were if not to support the boat or boating activities I put it into the “boat” group.
Old 19-12-2017, 14:30   #29

Boat: Lidguard 25lwl

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboss View Post
Looks like you spent a bundle on food this month. Stock up at Costco?

Your fuel consumption is reasonable... assume you took the ICW for a bit?

I don’t think the IRS will allow you to claim the prostitutes under “gifts” anymore.
This comment is a bit below the belt me thinks.
lowey49er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2017, 15:29   #30

Boat: Moody 54

Thanks SB1!
Ask the critics if they have done it.
🤣
MamaKube is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, cruising