Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-09-2017, 15:45   #16

Boat: Formerly Pearson 28-1, now just a sailing dinghy
Re: Month 12 Expenses of Cruising and Living on the Boat

SB, thanks for sharing your costs. I actually came in very similar to yours even though I was on a smaller boat and on my own when I did 7 months out (I was including the boat purchase costs though, amortized over the seven months). Like you, I found that having nicer equipment (like a fridge) meant I saved money going out to eat.

However, when I posted my costs, I got the opposite end of the stick, with CFers commenting that I should have spent more, and, of course, some good natured joshing about how many times I had posted in the $500/month thread
brownoarsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2017, 15:48   #17

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownoarsman View Post
That southern Chesapeake must be different than ours! I was flying the asym last weekend

Attachment 156319
The winds were about 21 knots downwind coming off the ocean. A bit like this from a few years ago but the waves were larger since I was South of Kiptopeke and near the bridge and the Atlantic Ocean (and the winds were NE)

This video is near Tangier. I was catching the passing front home coming out of Onancock Creek where I almost beached the boat...... back south to VA Beach.

The wind peaked at 30 mph on this day in 2014 going by what the buoy at Rappahannok Light Reported. The video was taken earlier before the wind got up all the way

Good news is I was at Kiptopeke by 2-3 pm

Hey I even still had my old cable lifelines back then. I have Polyester/Dyneema now

thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2017, 16:10   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Follower???????? Not what my word choice would be, and no it has NEVER been fun to have a ******** post on these threads in some twisted need to have internet interaction because they can not seem to come up with a topic of their own that will provide it so that only leaves disruption to some other thread for them to get it.
Actually, that's not quite the point.

I'm simply trying to let others know you don't necessarily need $3,500/month to cruise and have a boat at a marina.

You can actually have an apartment AND a boat at a marina for that money. (and a vehicle or two)

When you get tired of the boat, head for the apartment

This is what 40 plus years of experience with boats and living near the water teaches you. (and staying within the budget)

Not 12 months .......
Old 18-09-2017, 16:25   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

So "real" cruising is apartment living?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2017, 16:30   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
So "real" cruising is apartment living?
I always thought of cruising as sailing the boat.

Everyone isn't in it for that so more power to them, but if I'm not sailing, I'd rather be at an apartment or a home than at a marina where folks are on all sorts of different schedules and living very close together

Some want to stop drinking/partying at 8pm whereas others want to scream at the moon at 2 am......on marinas. Then there Jones, party of 5 at 11pm on the intercom

I've been guilty of both...............especially during small hurricanes.

Its such fun on a protected dock at times during a cat 1 betting on which of the anchored boats will come loose first and hit the bridge....then have it's mast knocked off and go under the bridge as if it were being flushed down the toilet

Understand though, this occurred before I/we were in a cat 3/4 which was Ivan in 2004. The fun stopped at about 3 am with the 14'-18' surge for those that thought they could stay at that same apartment
Old 18-09-2017, 16:52   #21
CLOD

Boat: none

Here's the thing.

I've never said my way is the only way. But it is probably much closer to being real world than baseless opinions of a non cruiser little boat weekend sailor. I now understand why it is so hard to get real numbers. It's because they don't need/what to explain it to someone on the internet.

So even though I hate to let the other guy win I doubt I'm going to do any more of these threads
Old 18-09-2017, 17:57   #22

Boat: 1992 lagoon 42 tpi

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post

Everyone isn't in it for that so more power to them, but if I'm not sailing, I'd rather be at an apartment or a home than at a marina where folks are on all sorts of different schedules and living very close together

Some want to stop drinking/partying at 8pm whereas others want to scream at the moon at 2 am......on marinas. Then there Jones, party of 5 at 11pm on the intercom

Its such fun on a protected dock at times during a cat 1 betting on which of the anchored boats will come loose first and hit the bridge....then have it's mast knocked off and go under the bridge as if it were being flushed down the toilet

Understand though, this occurred before I/we were in a cat 3/4 which was Ivan in 2004. The fun stopped at about 3 am with the 14'-18' surge for those that thought they could stay at that same apartment

So first you like to be rude about sailorboy 1's lifestyle, and then you are bragging about betting on other people's boats being trashed!!!

Keep posting sailor boy, some of us appreciate it!
chris mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2017, 18:38   #23

Boat: Formerly Pearson 28-1, now just a sailing dinghy

Quote:
The winds were about 21 knots downwind coming off the ocean. A bit like this from a few years ago but the waves were larger since I was South of Kiptopeke and near the bridge and the Atlantic Ocean (and the winds were NE)
Oh man, if we had stuff like that in the mid-chesapeake, I'd be keeping the 28'. As it is, should be selling it this weekend and going back to dinghy sailing for a little while. I've just gotten tired of having a berth/galley I don't use, and having to free dive five feet to clean the keel! It was better when I was living aboard and bouncing around the pamlico
brownoarsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2017, 19:28   #24

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

A number of posts have been deleted, and others edited, due to various infringements of the community rules.

Please, guys, report aggravating posts, and avoid slanging matches!

One really can turn the other cheek, and respond with dignity and respect, even when you think someone's out to get you. Don't play the game.

JPA Cate
Old 18-09-2017, 20:21   #25

I very much appreciate SB's posts. My wife and I are several years out from an open ended sabbatical, but his monthly break downs provide a real data point to plan on.

We would likely be somewhere in the all in costs for SB and SV Bebe. I get that there is no right answer, but more data is helpful in our long-term planning. We have no plans to try for the $500 month club. Life is too good now for that kind of sacrifice to "go now" but we have a draw to the water and a desire to see the world. I am not sure where we will be for budget, but SB's posts help us to scope out possibilities.

Thanks!
spearfish3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2017, 20:31   #26

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

Quote:

We like to move the boat, work, get to know the town over a season or two and then move on and it's often easier to do that by setting up shop in a slip is what I was inferring... I didn't make that clear.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2017, 03:50   #27

Quote:
We are very happy with our Hunter! We have pounded it pretty hard at times and it hasn't had any builder issues at all. After 7+ years on it we are still happy with and like our choice.

And to make it budget related, the money we saved on our boat instead of a "higher" end boat makes each bite of steak instead of hot dog that much nicer
Very good! Thanks for the feedback.
Hoosiersailor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2017, 05:20   #28

Boat: "Wanderlust" -- 1999 Jefferson Rivanna 52'

Quote:
So even though I hate to let the other guy win I doubt I'm going to do any more of these threads
Well, that is unfortunate. I hope that doesn't come to pass.
MV Wanderlust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2017, 05:42   #29
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Here's the thing.

I've never said my way is the only way. But it is probably much closer to being real world than baseless opinions of a non cruiser little boat weekend sailor. I now understand why it is so hard to get real numbers. It's because they don't need/what to explain it to someone on the internet.

Hope you dont mean that.. your a great escape from the humdrum of Colregs and other over hashed crap of late..
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2017, 06:18   #30

Boat: Hunter 340

Sailorboy1...you picked the right place to hang out while the hurricanes pass by. We have left our Hunter at Brunswick Landing Marina for the past 2 summers. Congrats on keeping your cruising costs in line
bgallinger is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, cruising