Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-09-2017, 10:39   #1
CLOD

Boat: none
Month 12 Expenses of Cruising and Living on the Boat

This past month we traveled ……………. nowhere again and are still in a slip in Brunswick GA for the hurricane season. Evacuated for 6 days during Irma, but no boat damage and that’s why we are here!

Been planning a lot of boat upgrade projects, but didn’t do many the past month and kind of vegged. Seems I should be working harder on the boat, but then I don’t have any schedule and still have lots of time. Next month I’ve got about $2500-3000 in boat upgrades planned to make life better based on what I’ve learned the past 12 months.

Didn’t dine out all the much and half the dine out costs was something we did with someone in return for then taking us somewhere as we don’t have a car. At the same time since we have grocery access we probably have spent more on food as there are more choices.

Speaking of transportation, we got a couple bikes at Walmart and these really opened up being able to get around town and go to bigger grocery store etc. We also got the bikes to get more exercise than our broken-down knees could handle walking. We had a couple of folding bikes, but the new ones are sooooo much better and since we sold the folding bikes the new ones only really cost $150. We did a couple of Uber trips to the movie theater that we combine with a big grocery run to make use of the Uber ride back and paid for some gas for cars.

Communication is all in cell phone costs, which also is backup internet here for when the marina system decides to go down (unfortunately not uncommon).

Entertainment expenses were for some Kindle books and going to a couple of movies. We won some money in the lottery and at poker and these are in entertainment 😊

Marina cost is for a month of dockage. Paid electrical this month, it was for about 1.5 months of power and the $4/day is well worth it to run the air conditioning for us. But I know not all agree so will put it in a separate line item.

The total was $ 2,638.44, which was under the $3,000 budget while staying in a marina and using power. Appears staying in marina all month is less costly for us than cruising, but then I didn’t start this to stay in the same marina for months. Cost breakdown as follows:

Food, soda, alcohol, clothing, sundries - $ 992.03
Boat upgrades, repairs, maintenance - $ 212.17
Fuel (diesel, gas, propane) - $ 0
Dining out - $ 277,22
Entertainment - $ 58.85
Communication, storage, shipping - $ 128.36
Bank Fees – ($ 38,72) using my cash back card saves money
Marina - $ 588.48
Electric - $ 156.66
Medical - $ 22.27
Transportation - $ 241.12
Old 18-09-2017, 10:50   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34
Re: Month 12 Expenses of Cruising and Living on the Boat

Congrats DON for a year on the boat and for being under budget!. Sometimes cruising is staying safe in a marina during hurricane season.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2017, 11:20   #3

Boat: 1992 lagoon 42 tpi

Once again, greatly appreciated sb1. It's nice seeing the breakdown of month to month.
Life is fluid and ever changing, personal and boat related. The budget shows this and gives us dreamers real life data.
Thanks again
chris mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2017, 11:35   #4

Boat: currently looking

Are there just two of you on board? I'm in the beginning stages of planning to buy a boat and live aboard in a marina while prepping for cruising and have been wondering about typical (?) monthly cost. Thanks for sharing!
CruisingHopeful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2017, 11:44   #5

Boat: Currently in between

Excellent breakdown and congrats on getting the 1st year under the belt. Also congrats on being under budget while still living the life you want to live!
Old 18-09-2017, 12:35   #6

Congrats on your 1st year. Just a question that isn't really budget related. How are you liking your Hunter? Happy with the choice? I am wondering because the size, price and capabilities are similar to what my wife and I will be looking for.
Hoosiersailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2017, 12:36   #7

Boat: "Wanderlust" -- 1999 Jefferson Rivanna 52'

Thanks for continuing to post your expenses. Your honesty and openness is helping a lot of people, including yours truly, come up with a realistic budget. Congrats on the one year aboard.
MV Wanderlust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2017, 12:56   #8
CLOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosiersailor View Post
Congrats on your 1st year. Just a question that isn't really budget related. How are you liking your Hunter? Happy with the choice? I am wondering because the size, price and capabilities are similar to what my wife and I will be looking for.
We are very happy with our Hunter! We have pounded it pretty hard at times and it hasn't had any builder issues at all. After 7+ years on it we are still happy with and like our choice.

And to make it budget related, the money we saved on our boat instead of a "higher" end boat makes each bite of steak instead of hot dog that much nicer
Old 18-09-2017, 14:42   #9

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
We are very happy with our Hunter! We have pounded it pretty hard at times and it hasn't had any builder issues at all. After 7+ years on it we are still happy with and like our choice.

And to make it budget related, the money we saved on our boat instead of a "higher" end boat makes each bite of steak instead of hot dog that much nicer
Hey Sailorboy1,

Looks like we have something in common!

I've owned my boat for about the same amount of years as you've owned yours except I paid $2,000 for mine.

I've sailed it in winds to 30 mph, anchored in winds to around 40 plus and I'm still happy with it.

Since you are telling folks how much it costs to cruise, I thought I should mention you don't need a $200,000 boat to cruise to the Bahamas or hang out at a marina in Georgia.

I have spent $8,500 on my boat total though with the purchase price, new sails, new outboard, solar, controllers (3), autopilot, two bottom jobs, one topside paint job, compass, lantern anchor light, one new stanchion base (yet to be installed although I did cover the holes with epoxy), two Alps Mountaineering Self-Inflating Sleeping Pads, (who wants to sleep on 40 year old cushions?) etc

Another example. This young lady appears to be headed your way.

http://www.dinghydreams.com/

Tom
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2017, 15:02   #10
CLOD

only took till post 9
Old 18-09-2017, 15:19   #11

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

It is the great irony that being still in a marina can often end up being cheaper than actively moving the boat. Also, to all those people that think that staying put in a marina for a long period isn't cruising, I say BS. Once again, thanks for sharing.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2017, 15:23   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

You know that you have arrived though when you have your own personal follower
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2017, 15:37   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
You know that you have arrived though when you have your own personal follower
It was an old quarrel that started this but it has become fun over the years.

Hey, speaking of cruising, have any of you sailed lately?

I had a nice sail this weekend (out and back), but last weekend did an over night (20 miles across the bay and 20 miles back open water) and came back under a heavy NE Wind with too much sail up.

It was a very good workout..................
Old 18-09-2017, 15:41   #14

Boat: Formerly Pearson 28-1, now just a sailing dinghy

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
It was an old quarrel that started this but it has become fun over the years.

Hey, speaking of cruising, have any of you sailed lately?

I had a nice sail this weekend (out and back), but last weekend did an over night (20 miles across the bay and 20 miles back open water) and came back under a heavy NE Wind with too much sail up.

It was a very good workout..................
That southern Chesapeake must be different than ours! I was flying the asym last weekend

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170910_155618.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	87.4 KB
ID:	156319
brownoarsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2017, 15:43   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboss View Post
It is the great irony that being still in a marina can often end up being cheaper than actively moving the boat. Also, to all those people that think that staying put in a marina for a long period isn't cruising, I say BS. Once again, thanks for sharing.
You are definitely correct!

Marina cruising is definitely how old folks "Cruise."

I was lucky enough to witness this when I lived in Florida. (in the 90's)

I sailed beach cats back then usually 20-100 miles per weekend depending on the race

I had always thought cruising was what Robin Lee Graham and Tanis Aebi did but discovered that I misunderstood what some consider cruising.

Tags
boat, cruising