Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-09-2017, 06:19   #31

Boat: Catalina 470
Re: Month 12 Expenses of Cruising and Living on the Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
That was retaliation for comments he had made towards me in the past, but now it seems the MODs have set limits so it will be all positive from here on out.....

As far as boats being trashed, when the power's out and a bunch of sailors are hanging out drinking during a Cat 1 Hurricane with nothing to do but watch anchored boats trying to withstand the wind, tide, and current, 50 yards upwind of a low bridge unique games are sometimes created to pass the time.

This particular event was around 1998 I believe and not last week.....

Here's the same bridge in September 2004, and many of the same boats that had survived the 1998 cat 1 hurricane. They didn't do so well against a cat 3/4 with a 14'-18' surge

A floating dock that rose above it's pilings took them all out

https://www.google.com/search?biw=12...I-dlv0TKrYDvM:
This is hijacking a thread. Do you realize many are interested in SB thread's regarding his budget. When you hijack a thread like this and intiate conflict it ruins it for many that look out for his posts. Alot dream of cruising and threads like SB add real world figures to their dreams.
You are certainly entitled to a view point , maybe best to start a different thread. You are actually ruining the value of SB posts.
I say this with respect as i think its a shame if SB stops posting.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2017, 06:23   #32
S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410

Maybe what is needed is to rephase the whole thing.

Last month I got to live on a nice comfortable boat with air conditioning. The boat has all the comforts of a 2 bedroom, 2 bath (with showers) home ,including 2 sofas and a 40" TV with stereo. It has as much water (including hot water) as we ever need and power to run all the electrical things we like. It has a nice 3 burner stove with oven and broiler and a large freezer and refrigerator to keep the food and beer cold, and holds enough food to last the two of us for a month. The master bedroom has a queen size bed and enough storage that even after a year living on the boat there are still empty drawers. We even have a nice patio outside with enough cushion sitting for 8 comfortably and more if we are feeling friendly at sundowner time. We even have a nice little BBQ right there, but if we want to BBQ a bigger meal there is a nice patio with gas grill and tables just a 75' walk away.

We get free wifi here with internet access that most of the time allows us to watch as many streaming shows are we would like and play on silly internet boater forums. But if not there is a free yacht club just a short walk away. There we have lots of nice sofas and chairs for watching movies, football, and TV or to just play on the internet. While there we can do our laundry (free) while looking through the free loaner book library, or take a land shower, and get this ................. drink as much FREE beer as we want! Three times a week at the club there is a FREE wine tasting (it's not really a tasting, it's a wine drinking party) and people even bring finger food. Once a month the neighborhood does a big get together with a big pot luck.

Sometime we like to go out. We don't have a car, but not to worry there are restaurants within a short 5-10 minute stroll. Sometimes we run short of food or beer on the boat, but there is a nice little grocery store and a liquor store a 5 minute bike ride or 10 minute walk away. But that wasn't good enough so we have bikes for exercise and fun rides that we can also use to go to the mall or other restaurants and bigger stores we needed or desired.

Once in awhile we decided to go to the movies and just take an Uber there and back and combine it with a bigger grocery and shopping run run. Hey it's like living in the big city. But sometimes our boat neighbor is going and he just gives us a ride because unlike most neighborhoods we know each other and help each other here.

Now I know this all sounds impossible so everyone must think we need to work long hours and spend a fortune to do this. But don't worry at 57 & 56 we aren't working at all and last month without trying to be spendthrifts it cost us only about $2650 to live this life.

And if that isn't enough, sometimes just take our house and move it regularly. The past 12 months we traveled all the way from New England down the East Coast to Fort Lauderdale Fl. Then across to the Bahamas for a few months and then back and am waiting now in Georgia for a while while waiting and planning on our next series of sights to see. We got to stop along the way to see new things and meet new people. when we get tired of a place, we just more our home again to somewhere new.

So read it and lust all you poor dirt dweller souls
Old 19-09-2017, 06:33   #33

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
This is hijacking a thread. Do you realize many are interested in SB thread's regarding his budget. When you hijack a thread like this and intiate conflict it ruins it for many that look out for his posts. Alot dream of cruising and threads like SB add real world figures to their dreams.
You are certainly entitled to a view point , maybe best to start a different thread. You are actually ruining the value of SB posts.
I say this with respect as i think its a shame if SB stops posting.
As I mentioned before, my posts were in retaliation for SB1's comments toward me in the past. (The post you selected was my answer to another poster that misunderstood the situation and came with accusations)

The MODs though have now set limits to that so it will be nothing but positive comments from here on out ........
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2017, 06:45   #34

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Well... actually the limits have always been there... in the rules we all agreed to when we signed on...
If someone has wronged you in the past just make it water off a duck's back and move on to... the anchor thread!!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2017, 06:57   #35

Boat: "Wanderlust" -- 1999 Jefferson Rivanna 52'

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post

Ha ha ha! You go, SB! Very nicely put. That scenario would tempt just about anyone to the life.
MV Wanderlust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2017, 06:58   #36

Boat: "Wanderlust" -- 1999 Jefferson Rivanna 52'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
Well... actually the limits have always been there... in the rules we all agreed to when we signed on...
If someone has wronged you in the past just make it water off a duck's back and move on to... the anchor thread!!
Hey, wait... not MY anchor thread, Don!
MV Wanderlust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2017, 07:32   #37
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Quote:
As I mentioned before, my posts were in retaliation for SB1's comments toward me in the past.

Retaliation in and of itself violates the rules. Don't go there.

SB1 and I have gotten into it in the past as well. But He's out there doing that cruising thingy, doing it his way and he and his wife have my respect for doing it.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2017, 10:11   #38

Sailorboy -

I have been reading most of your monthly posts on budget, and wanted to say I am another who appropriates hearing what you do, the costs, etc. Thanks,

I am trying to know more based on real-life experiences, and your rendition of it is one of them I take in. i like your details. If you continue to post them, I will read. If you have a spreadsheet version of the breakdown ( I thought you used to post that, but maybe remember it wrong?), my girlfreind and I would love to see it that way.

Also - I just read this as another view. Nothing detailed like yours, but it is recent.

How Much it Costs to Live on Your Sailboat in the Caribbean - Captain Gino

anyway, thanks,

Peter
peters323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2017, 11:32   #39

Boat: 1978 Cabo Rico Tiburon 36 "Isabella"

Quote:

Last month I got to live on a nice comfortable boat with air conditioning. The boat has all the comforts of a 2 bedroom, 2 bath (with showers) home ,including 2 sofas and a 40" TV with stereo. It has as much water (including hot water) as we ever need and power to run all the electrical things we like. It has a nice 3 burner stove with oven and broiler and a large freezer and refrigerator to keep the food and beer cold, and holds enough food to last the two of us for a month. The master bedroom has a queen size bed and enough storage that even after a year living on the boat there are still empty drawers. We even have a nice patio outside with enough cushion sitting for 8 comfortably and more if we are feeling friendly at sundowner time. We even have a nice little BBQ right there, but if we want to BBQ a bigger meal there is a nice patio with gas grill and tables just a 75' walk away.

We get free wifi here with internet access that most of the time allows us to watch as many streaming shows are we would like and play on silly internet boater forums. But if not there is a free yacht club just a short walk away. There we have lots of nice sofas and chairs for watching movies, football, and TV or to just play on the internet. While there we can do our laundry (free) while looking through the free loaner book library, or take a land shower, and get this ................. drink as much FREE beer as we want! Three times a week at the club there is a FREE wine tasting (it's not really a tasting, it's a wine drinking party) and people even bring finger food. Once a month the neighborhood does a big get together with a big pot luck.

Sometime we like to go out. We don't have a car, but not to worry there are restaurants within a short 5-10 minute stroll. Sometimes we run short of food or beer on the boat, but there is a nice little grocery store and a liquor store a 5 minute bike ride or 10 minute walk away. But that wasn't good enough so we have bikes for exercise and fun rides that we can also use to go to the mall or other restaurants and bigger stores we needed or desired.

Once in awhile we decided to go to the movies and just take an Uber there and back and combine it with a bigger grocery and shopping run run. Hey it's like living in the big city. But sometimes our boat neighbor is going and he just gives us a ride because unlike most neighborhoods we know each other and help each other here.

Now I know this all sounds impossible so everyone must think we need to work long hours and spend a fortune to do this. But don't worry at 57 & 56 we aren't working at all and last month without trying to be spendthrifts it cost us only about $2650 to live this life.

And if that isn't enough, sometimes just take our house and move it regularly. The past 12 months we traveled all the way from New England down the East Coast to Fort Lauderdale Fl. Then across to the Bahamas for a few months and then back and am waiting now in Georgia for a while while waiting and planning on our next series of sights to see. We got to stop along the way to see new things and meet new people. when we get tired of a place, we just more our home again to somewhere new.

Yes! Nice!
keep posting Sailorboy1 ... I read it every month and look forward to it. suffice it say their is one in every crowd! Thank you!
jhulmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2017, 11:43   #40

I also read it every month. I hope to be doing what you are all doing, and soon, and want to know what it is like, what I need to plan for, etc. your posts and info help me and give me something real to work off of.

so thanks, SailorBoy.

Peter
peters323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2017, 11:44   #41

Boat: 44ft mono hull

Quote:

So jealous.

Respect.
Olly75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2017, 12:50   #42

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
Retaliation in and of itself violates the rules. Don't go there.

SB1 and I have gotten into it in the past as well. But He's out there doing that cruising thingy, doing it his way and he and his wife have my respect for doing it.
Got it.

This persisted so long because SB1's nastygram to me was sent via the "Thanks" method at the bottom of a post and since I never did figure out how to delete the message it stayed there quite a long time as a reminder........and I took exception to it. Both the message and the way it was sent.
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2017, 12:59   #43
cruiser

Quote:
Got it.

This persisted so long because SB1's nastygram to me was sent via the "Thanks" method at the bottom of a post and since I never did figure out how to delete the message it stayed there quite a long time as a reminder........and I took exception to it. Both the message and the way it was sent.
You're not alone.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2017, 14:54   #44

Boat: 1998 Hunter 410 (now), 1981 Bayfield 32c (old)

Sailorboy,

Please don't let one grouch stop you from sharing. I love your input, and also have been happy with our H410. I'm still about 13 years away from retirement though so our cruises are limited to two weeks at a time.

If you ever want to do a thread here or on SBO of every mod you've done on the boat I'd love to see it. We've been going through our boat bow to stern making changes to make the boat ours, and I would love to read what you've changed/kept/improved on.

BTW, tied to the dock in a fun/safe area in hurricane season with air conditioning sounds just fine to me. In two months or less the Caribbean will be there waiting for you.
VanIslandGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2017, 15:22   #45

Don't pet the sweaty stuff and don't sweat the petty stuff

Move on... Life's too short.
kapnkarl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, cruising