Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-07-2017, 10:54   #46
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Month 10 Expenses of Cruising and Living on the Boat

I may share my expenses when they begin to make some sense, right now I'm sitting in a rental house, boat is in a marina undergoing major surgery, and my expenses are not really cruising i don't think.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2017, 11:22   #47

Re: Month 10 Expenses of Cruising and Living on the Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
We continue our evil cruising ways. This past month we traveled from St Augustine FL to Brunswick GA. We went further than that as we went North and came back down. Weren’t in any hurry and just wandered around traveling on the ICW and outside

We spent our stopped time on moorings when at a town and on anchor if not.

The raw water strainer for the generator clogged up and that took out the impeller and exhaust hose. Since it is so hot we needed that generator for air conditioning and next day shipped the parts.

We did a lot of cheap to free sightseeing, which probably involved a meal out during it. We also got a car and went sightseeing some staying in motels etc. Since I know everyone reads these with the “I can do it for less” I have put all the car traveling/motel type sightseeing into a separate category.

Entertainment expenses were for some Kindle books, movies, mini golf and whatever if it didn’t involve a rental car to go to (if it was a local bus ride to get to it, it is in entertainment).

The total was $ 3,525.35, which breaks down as follows:

Food, soda, alcohol, clothing, sundries - $ 879.87
Boat upgrades, repairs, maintenance - $ 213.61
Fuel (diesel, gas, propane) - $ 229.35 (got to feed that generator)
Dining out - $ 743.57
Entertainment - $ 103.43
Sightseeing - $ 760.49
Communication, storage, shipping - $ 233.78
Bank Fees – ($ 42.04)
Marina - $ 329.70
Medical - $ 22.27
Transportation - $ 51.32
Thank you for putting yourself out there and sharing!
TomAndLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2017, 12:09   #48

Boat: "Wanderlust" -- 1999 Jefferson Rivanna 52'

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I may share my expenses when they begin to make some sense, right now I'm sitting in a rental house, boat is in a marina undergoing major surgery, and my expenses are not really cruising i don't think.
Perhaps. But a reality we might all face, at one point or another, and for which we must plan.
MV Wanderlust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2017, 12:10   #49

Boat: "Wanderlust" -- 1999 Jefferson Rivanna 52'

Thanks for continuing to post these, sailorboy. My wife and I follow these closely and sometimes try to plug in numbers for our own needs, etc. Your posts are helping us plan ahead.
MV Wanderlust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2017, 13:17   #50
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
I meant to ask before A64, Why did you not fix up the boat before retiring? Just a question, no criticism intended...

g
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2017, 14:11   #51

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Don't you think it would be useful for your "camp" if you provided a break down for that $800? No one in the lower budget camp ever does a long term breakdown they just toss out a number.
I didn’t know we were in different “camps” .

You quoted your last month’s expenses. So did I. $879 CND for last month, or $699.39 USD.

$210: Lock fees ($30x7)
$122: Diesel
$225: Marina (3 days)
$110: Eating out
$129: groceries/booze
$83: Communications

Big differences are food, entertainment and sightseeing (zero cost). Our food is more modest (I love beans!), and entertainment and sightseeing are best done by dingy and legs. Beauty and wonder is everywhere.

Lock fees are one-offs, but there are always one-offs . Marina, groceries and diesel all kinda go together. This was our first marina stop since leaving home port. No maintenance costs, although we did a couple of small repairs underway. No transportation (we were offered free rides). No medical.

Anything else you’d like to know?
Old 22-07-2017, 14:25   #52

Boat: Bristol 27

I wonder what it actually costs to cruise a sailboat? As in actually sailing the thing.

When I say cruise, I mean sailing your boat from place to place rather than staying at a marina or being anchored for weeks on end along the ICW within a range of 400-500 miles

Those of use that live along the ICW can kinda guess what the paying public pays as they go from marina to marina etc but how about those folks that sail?
thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2017, 14:42   #53
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
I wonder what it actually costs to cruise a sailboat? As in actually sailing the thing.

When I say cruise, I mean sailing your boat from place to place rather than staying at a marina or being anchored for weeks on end along the ICW within a range of 400-500 miles

Those of use that live along the ICW can kinda guess what the paying public pays as they go from marina to marina etc but how about those folks that sail?
Thomm,

I can tell you honestly what it costs, because we sail nearly everywhere and never stay in marinas, but the trouble is... nobody believes me, so why bother since it only seems to start arguments. It's more than $500/month and way less than $3500. People spend what they have and feel comfortable spending. I budget capital improvements to the boat such as new sails, from a separate long term account.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2017, 14:59   #54
S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410

If you want to know something go do it.
Old 22-07-2017, 15:41   #55
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
I meant to ask before A64, Why did you not fix up the boat before retiring? Just a question, no criticism intended...

g

I did a tremendous amount, the list would be extensive.
However to do this meant the boat had to be on the other side of Fl, which would take a week at least to get here and at least a week to return
Now while I trust Mack Sails to a great extent, it's my opinion that I need to be here to watch, and make decisions on things that will pop up, any time you do such extensive work, they always do.
Before Retirement I didn't want to try to take two months off in one shot, may be told no, then what? I wasn't ready to quit as kid was still in High School and Wife had a Contract teaching that she had to finish.
Just couldn't bring myself to drop it off and hope it all comes out OK.
Old 22-07-2017, 15:43   #56
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
I did a tremendous amount, the list would be extensive.
However to do this meant the boat had to be on the other side of Fl, which would take a week at least to get here and at least a week to return
Now while I trust Mack Sails to a great extent, it's my opinion that I need to be here to watch, and make decisions on things that will pop up, any time you do such extensive work, they always do.
Before Retirement I didn't want to try to take two months off in one shot, may be told no, then what? I wasn't ready to quit as kid was still in High School and Wife had a Contract teaching that she had to finish.
Just couldn't bring myself to drop it off and hope it all comes out OK.
Thanks.. I understand.
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2017, 15:49   #57
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
$225: Marina (3 days)

Anything else you’d like to know?
Why do you use marinas so frequently? I find your use of marinas to be excessive, our cost was $0.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2017, 16:21   #58

Boat: Seafarer36c

I can't imagine a month without spending money on the boat. If you did, next month would cost 2x as much. Even when you are out somewhere remote you need to track down a gallon of oil ($20 everywhere) or some object de boat.
It blows my mind that some gringo cruisers can eat and drink for a month on $125. Is there a religion involved in this?
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2017, 16:34   #59

Boat: PAE, Mason, 44 - Music

Thanks for the data. I'm running about 2K per month and that includes a new outboard for the dink and a few expensive repairs in foreign countries. Last month was the cheap one at only 1100.00 but nothing broke (fingers crossed).
ardoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2017, 16:48   #60
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I don't have a handle on food yet, cost way more than I thought it did.
We couldn't eat I don't think on $300 a month, much less $125.
Although I could do with losing some weight
This food thing is astonishing me, it's the sort of prepared things that are insanely expensive, now when the Wife was working I knew better than to say something , but we have to change our ways a little, just have to be careful or it will become 100% my job and I'm not prepared for that.

Today we went and bought some groceries, Wife wants to buy a "bag of salad" you know where everything is cut up and placed in a bag, its convenient, but it's also $4 a lb, for lettuce. Chopped up onion, $2 a cup.
Cut up watermelon in a plastic bowl $5 or $6 a little bowl, watermelon that would fill four or five bowls, $3.

Many years ago we used to eat chicken a lot, I mean a whole lot. I didn't really like it, but didn't say anything, cause you know chicken is cheap right?

Well I went with her one day at her insistence, and I found out the skinless, boneless chicken breasts she liked and had been buying cost more per lb than T-bone.
We didn't eat as much chicken from then on

Tags
boat, cruising