Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-07-2017, 05:54   #91
CLOD

Boat: none
Re: Month 10 Expenses of Cruising and Living on the Boat

Isn't interesting how people who haven't cruised and who say they don't want to cruise feel they can tell people how to cruise?
Old 25-07-2017, 06:33   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Isn't interesting how people who haven't cruised and who say they don't want to cruise feel they can tell people how to cruise?
I find all of this very interesting. Those of us that are in preparation mode need this information for planning but I do say you do have to read and interpret it all. There are some that won't leave the dock unless the boat is perfect and everything is new and they have 1000 watts of solar, a water maker, new sails and titanium chainplates (sorry A64, couldn't help it ). They also plan for a tremendous amount of their budget to be spent on maintenance costs. That's how they do it.

Then there are others that live and sail very frugally. Their out of shape sails move the boat along, the engine will keep turning and their batteries probably need replaced but they are out there doing it. They have also found that you can grocery shop and eat cheaply. You can go out and eat at the local inexpensive places and still experience the culture.

No right or wrong answer. I have always liked the answer to how much it costs is it will cost what you have. From what I am learning, I will be right in the middle. Keeping the boat (our home in good shape, not new) and having fun without spending anymore than I have to. And that is only because that is all I will have if I want to do this sooner rather than later.

On another question: what constitutes the sightseeing expense? I have a hard time thinking about what I would spend $760 for sightseeing during a month even in the US. Don't get me wrong, I want to go see all of the places we will visit but I think can walk or bike and just see things with out spending over $100 per week. The sightseeing and dining out is almost half.
Hoosiersailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2017, 07:28   #93
CLOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosiersailor View Post

On another question: what constitutes the sightseeing expense? I have a hard time thinking about what I would spend $760 for sightseeing during a month even in the US. Don't get me wrong, I want to go see all of the places we will visit but I think can walk or bike and just see things with out spending over $100 per week. The sightseeing and dining out is almost half.
We rented a car and drove the area where due to the distance we didn't come back to the boat each night. So there was the car rental, the motel stays, the meals and the costs of whatever sights we paid to do (tours, museums etc etc).
Old 25-07-2017, 07:43   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
We rented a car and drove the area where due to the distance we didn't come back to the boat each night. So there was the car rental, the motel stays, the meals and the costs of whatever sights we paid to do (tours, museums etc etc).
Thanks! Makes sense and I can see that doing side trips like that will always impact the expenses to some degree.
Hoosiersailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2017, 07:44   #95

Boat: Lagoon 40

Great job! this is a wonderful way to answer the age-old question. I've been asked the "how much does it cost?" many times.....I think the best answer is "well how much do you have?"
N
Ndavies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2017, 10:46   #96
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Month 10 Expenses of Cruising and Living on the Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosiersailor View Post
I find all of this very interesting. Those of us that are in preparation mode need this information for planning but I do say you do have to read and interpret it all. There are some that won't leave the dock unless the boat is perfect and everything is new and they have 1000 watts of solar, a water maker, new sails and titanium chainplates (sorry A64, couldn't help it ). They also plan for a tremendous amount of their budget to be spent on maintenance costs. That's how they do it .

No problem, I am doing what I am for a few reasons, I worked for a few years longer than I had to, to get the kid through school and planned and saved up for this, and I am by trade a mechanic and maintainer first and foremost. Things not quite right just drive me nuts. I understand pay me now or pay me later, so I hope to be paying now, so I don't have to later.
Then if we can handle it the plan after the first year is to take an old boat a long ways to remote locations, very remote locations, so I am doing a lot more than if the plan was to knock around the Caribbean, that will be our training area as I am sure we still have a lot to learn.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2017, 11:07   #97

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Horizons View Post
"If you are tacking, you are not cruising."
Maybe that's why I get bored so quickly when sailing the short 20 miles across the bay here. ( unless it's over 20 knots of wind or storms are nearby) This time of year, you are usually on port tack all the way across

When racing, you tack a lot especially before the starting gun but more so before buoy races where starting position is so important.

I'm still transitioning from racing to just sailing from place to place and then anchoring for a day or so. I didn't even have an anchor on my racing boats but did on my fishing boats

I figure I should point out a few things that I learned about sailing and coastal living every now and then to help new folks that haven't left yet get another perspective.

When living, working, and sailing near the ICW in several states for many years, you get to see things many new to cruising don't

While on my sailing vacation, it got to be sort of fun just trying to figure out whether or not a storm/squall would actually hit or over take

thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2017, 11:08   #98
cruiser

Re: Month 10 Expenses of Cruising and Living on the Boa

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
No problem, I am doing what I am for a few reasons, I worked for a few years longer than I had to, to get the kid through school and planned and saved up for this, and I am by trade a mechanic and maintainer first and foremost. Things not quite right just drive me nuts. I understand pay me now or pay me later, so I hope to be paying now, so I don't have to later.
Then if we can handle it the plan after the first year is to take an old boat a long ways to remote locations, very remote locations, so I am doing a lot more than if the plan was to knock around the Caribbean, that will be our training area as I am sure we still have a lot to learn.
Europe is were you should go, live cheap and live well.

Today's view.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1477.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	406.3 KB
ID:	152621  
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2017, 11:35   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
Cruising for me involves alot more than just a nice sail. I motor up and down waterways, day sail/hop, time in marinas, restaurants, dinner in locals houses, it's walking through new towns/villages and cities, its climbing mountains, its scuba diving, its repairing the boat , motoring up rivers see elephants (that happened!!) and currently crossing an ocean. It's a lifestyle, moving around on a boat, and involves ,and is made up of so much. People do it all sorts of ways, and BTW the sailing as you mention it is the smallest and least important part to me.
Well, there you have it. (different strokes)

I did a similar thing on boats while living near the water or in an apartment 150' from the water.

Up here at first, it was the boats and the fishing. (Boats that would barely float on trailers that would barely carry them to the ramp) Used both in the bay and in the ocean. (bayside or seaside we had the choice)

Later, it was learning to sail (and race) in TVA Lakes. (when not fishing)

In Florida at least for the first few years, it was the wildlife on the beach (local women in night clubs/bars) that seemed to be the most exhilarating. Plus the sailboat racing

Then cycling and now back to sailing...........and back up here
Old 25-07-2017, 11:41   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Europe is were you should go, live cheap and live well.

Today's view.
The Chesapeake Bay can still be quite nice in summer.......and very inexpensive to a sailor/cruiser
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC02087.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	367.7 KB
ID:	152624   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02088 (1).jpg
Views:	89
Size:	386.1 KB
ID:	152625  

Name:	DSC02025.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	303.1 KB
ID:	152626   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02074.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	273.4 KB
ID:	152627  

Old 25-07-2017, 12:36   #101

Boat: No more boat (my medical, not the boat's)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
You're talking sailing, not cruising. Sailing is a vacation. It's an activity you do for a short time in between your real life. Cruising IS real life. If you gotta motor, you motor. It's not a puritan experience.

Sailorboy (Don) is out cruising. IOW, he is living and travelling on a sailboat. He's doing it in a way that works for him (and Ms. Sailorboy). No one can hope for more.
Sure sounds like you are saying Sailorboy is not sailing because sailing is not cruising. I know you are not, but.... I do not think categorization or the definition is so easy or so definite. In fact, I believe a person can cruise on that two week vacation (typically longer in Australia).

Since I am retired (except for occasional gigs) because of my age (mid 70's) some might say I am on a permanent vacation, and the only way I could cruise is to move aboard and meander from place to place (which sounds good), but for various reasons, including a non-sailing wife (who would cruise on very large vessels) my cruising is limited, but I often consider it a cruise, not just a sail. So there! Have I confused/defused the issue or just added more fat to the fire?
Old 25-07-2017, 12:44   #102
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzstar View Post
Beautiful places too. But a problem is the Europeans, and the wannabes of all stripes.
Many fewer problems here in the Med with the locals than in the US.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2017, 12:57   #103

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzstar View Post
….Since I am retired (except for occasional gigs) because of my age (mid 70's) some might say I am on a permanent vacation, and the only way I could cruise is to move aboard and meander from place to place (which sounds good), but for various reasons, including a non-sailing wife (who would cruise on very large vessels) my cruising is limited, but I often consider it a cruise, not just a sail. So there! Have I confused/defused the issue or just added more fat to the fire?
Yes, I have no idea what you’re saying .

My point was that Sailorboy is not on vacation. He’s living on his sailboat, exploring and travelling. It’s not just about going for a sail. At least for me, sailing is just a convenient and desirable way to move my home around. I like sailing, but it’s an activity. Cruising is a lifestyle.

I don’t think length of time defines cruising. But it’s not just about going out for a weekend sail.
Old 25-07-2017, 13:10   #104
CLOD

According to about half the cruisers here in the marina, power boaters cruise. I know it sounds shocking and mystical at the same time. Meanwhile all the sail boaters say the same thing; if they waited to be able sail they never would get to go anywhere. Even though the past month I've sailed over 300 miles and motored about 60 it doesn't matter if some nevercruised Internet poster thinks that isn't "cruising".

I've done 10 of these threads and the same person has derailed at least half of them with the same crap. What's up with that?
Old 25-07-2017, 13:12   #105
CLOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
My point was that Sailorboy is not on vacation.
I'm on vacation, I just call it living!

Tags
boat, cruising