Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-07-2017, 18:28   #76

Boat: Catalina 470
Re: Month 10 Expenses of Cruising and Living on the Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Bacchus View Post
If you are not careful your level of living will always rise to meet your income. A gem from a former brother-in-law who never had a pot to pee in. When he made it, he spent it. Got a 2nd job to pay off debt and a year later he was deeper in debt!
Its true! But also the other part of it is learning to try to adjust from a big income to a smaller. As a previous business owner I always had some money stress, there was plenty of money coming in but the bills were plenty as well, most of the bills were fixed but the income wasn't thus the stress, it always worked out but it didn't stop you worrying. I didnt worry about buying a couple of coffees and breakfast each day, whats $30 when the outgoings for the day were $2,500!

My dad used to say " look after the pennys and the pounds will look after themselves"....I used to say "Dad I'm to busy trying to direct the pounds to worry about the pennys" don't have the time for the small stuff.

Now im completely retired his saying is suddenly very true and very relevant, but adjusting to penny watching takes time. Big money coming in and going out devalues money, but now with alot less coming in its value increases, which I like by the way, there's an appreciation that comes with being more frugal, having time to do things differently saves you money. Credit has changed the way we spend and devalued money as well.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2017, 19:41   #77

Boat: Island Packet 349

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post

$210: Lock fees ($30x7)

Anything else you’d like to know?
I thought I read somwhere that Canadian locks were going to be free this year. No?
Lost Horizons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2017, 11:18   #78

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Horizons View Post
I thought I read somwhere that Canadian locks were going to be free this year. No?

The historic locks operated by Parks Canada are free, although still have to get a park pass (for free, but takes time). The commercial locks on the St. Lawrence are definitely not free.

You can save money by purchasing your tickets online. And you can pay $30 CND at the two American locks. They take either denomination at the same value, even though the greenback is currently 25% higher.
Old 24-07-2017, 11:20   #79
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
The historic locks operated by Parks Canada are free, although still have to get a park pass (for free, but takes time). The commercial locks on the St. Lawrence are definitely not free.

You can save money by purchasing your tickets online. And you can pay $30 CND at the two American locks. They take either denomination at the same value, even though the greenback is currently 25% higher.
It's still cheaper than hiring a locksmith.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2017, 14:46   #80

Boat: No more boat (my medical, not the boat's)

Sailorboy- Despite the occasional negative responses, the information you post is valuable to many of us. Do not allow the ornery ones cause you to stop. Despite the fact that we are not all in lockstep, I think and believe the vast majority truly appreciate the information. Thanks.
Old 24-07-2017, 15:37   #81

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzstar View Post
Sailorboy- Despite the occasional negative responses, the information you post is valuable to many of us. Do not allow the ornery ones cause you to stop. Despite the fact that we are not all in lockstep, I think and believe the vast majority truly appreciate the information. Thanks.
I don't think folks want to be ornery, but is it every ones dream of cruising to buy a sailboat and motor for hundreds of miles along the ICW?

Then stay at marinas along the way that are usually way overpriced?

Wouldn't that be like buying an RV and staying at the rest stops along the interstate?

I guess I saw too much of it when I was in my late 30's and 40's sailing and racing beach cats along the Gulf Coast. Old folks at marinas and motoring the ICW that seemed to always stay at the most expensive and worst places.

The worst part of the yearly 100 mile beach cat race back in the day down there was the ICW. The part where we were out in the Gulf for about 60 miles was so much better than all the traffic along that last 40 miles or so of the narrows plus it's a real PITA to try and sail it if the wind is wrong.
thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2017, 15:42   #82
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Month 10 Expenses of Cruising and Living on the Boat

Thomm, if your talking about Sailorboy, unless I'm way mistaken, he stays in Marinas way less than most, way less, and even if he didn't it doesn't matter, cruising is different for different folks. That is why I'm sure some can do it for way less than others and why some spend way more, cause they are doing different things.
That's why the statement we do it for $1,500 a month is interesting, but not really that helpful without defining what IT means.
The ICW is a good way to get down from where he was, unless your in a hurry, and that sort of goes against cruising doesn't it?
I thought cruising for most is meandering slowly and soaking up the views, local foods, sightseeing etc?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2017, 15:50   #83

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Thomm, if your talking about Sailorboy, unless I'm way mistaken, he stays in Marinas way less than most, way less.
The ICW is a good way to get down from where he was, unless your in a hurry, and that sort of goes against cruising doesn't it?
I thought cruising for most is meandering slowly and soaking up the views, local foods, sightseeing etc?
You are probably right about the meandering but many of us get this idea of cruising in our heads and it usually has to do with sailing.

Maybe I'm just different and think that cruising a sailboat should be about sailing not motoring, anchoring, eating out, and movies.....along a narrow path that is well used

especially since we could eat out and go to movies for the 40 years before we started to "cruise."

To each his own though, if you are thrilled with cruising the ICW that's great! At least you know what you like.

My usual idea of cruising is to sail to exhaustion then come back and recover...............or if I wasn't still working heave too and recover in temps less than 95 degrees.........

On my short vacation sail along the 30 mile wide ICW up here, I had a couple nice days crossing the bay back and forth
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	vac.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	109.8 KB
ID:	152571  
thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2017, 16:53   #84

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
...Maybe I'm just different and think that cruising a sailboat should be about sailing not motoring, anchoring, eating out, and movies.....along a narrow path that is well used .. My usual idea of cruising is to sail to exhaustion then come back and recover...............or if I wasn't still working heave too and recover in temps less than 95 degrees.........

You're talking sailing, not cruising. Sailing is a vacation. It's an activity you do for a short time in between your real life. Cruising IS real life. If you gotta motor, you motor. It's not a puritan experience.

Sailorboy (Don) is out cruising. IOW, he is living and travelling on a sailboat. He's doing it in a way that works for him (and Ms. Sailorboy). No one can hope for more.
Old 24-07-2017, 17:38   #85

Quote:
You are probably right about the meandering but many of us get this idea of cruising in our heads and it usually has to do with sailing.

Maybe I'm just different and think that cruising a sailboat should be about sailing not motoring, anchoring, eating out, and movies.....along a narrow path that is well used

especially since we could eat out and go to movies for the 40 years before we started to "cruise."

To each his own though, if you are thrilled with cruising the ICW that's great! At least you know what you like.

My usual idea of cruising is to sail to exhaustion then come back and recover...............or if I wasn't still working heave too and recover in temps less than 95 degrees.........

On my short vacation sail along the 30 mile wide ICW up here, I had a couple nice days crossing the bay back and forth
Cruising for me involves alot more than just a nice sail. I motor up and down waterways, day sail/hop, time in marinas, restaurants, dinner in locals houses, it's walking through new towns/villages and cities, its climbing mountains, its scuba diving, its repairing the boat , motoring up rivers see elephants (that happened!!) and currently crossing an ocean. It's a lifestyle, moving around on a boat, and involves ,and is made up of so much. People do it all sorts of ways, and BTW the sailing as you mention it is the smallest and least important part to me.
Old 24-07-2017, 19:52   #86

"If you are tacking, you are not cruising."
Old 24-07-2017, 19:54   #87

Quote:
cruising a sailboat should be about sailing not motoring, anchoring, eating out, and movies.....
I suppose, sex is out of question either?
Old 24-07-2017, 20:28   #88

Boat: Formosa 41

Quote:
That was covered.
Jason Flare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2017, 20:55   #89

MarkJ gets 10 points for being a friendly Santa with purebred thoughts of living in the 1600's:
"Thaaaats the way you do it, play the guitar, get your checks for free".

Bill
Papasail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2017, 21:14   #90

Quote:
Lol....

Tags
boat, cruising